Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #1  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Frustrated having trouble staying on Plan.

I'm getting frustrated because having trouble staying on plan. I do good for a few days or so and then have a binge. I'm under alot of stress right now, but don't need to be overeating. I guess it takes time to break habits. When I'm stressed or upset I like to eat.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Okay sweetie you are not alone! :hugs: ! I just posted earlier today about my binges. I'm still a work in progress, but know you are not alone and there are many many people who will help you work through this obstacle and help you to reach your goal!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #3  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I understand this - I'm also a stress eater, and have had to find alternative stress relievers or continue going the way that I was.

Some people use exercise. I have done that, but I admit that to me this didn't fall into the realm of "comfort" behaviors for a while. It was great if I was angry, though. So beyond that generally I would dive into a book and escape whatever was bothering me, using sugar-free gum if I just had to have something in my mouth.

I'm also a big-time journaler, so once the emotional surge swept over me, I can usually work out the issues there, or just say what I really think about things and let it all hang out.

I use exercise more than I used to for comfort, because I use that for "alone" time, and so it has become a refuge when I need one. It's good for me - I don't have to pay attention to anything but what I'm doing - no children, no dogs, I'm not multitasking, cleaning, cooking, or breaking up fights. During that time, they all work it out without me.

Rambling a bit, but I guess the point is that for those of us who are stress eaters (I'm actually an emotional eater - ANY emotion will do) we have to consciously engage in some self-behavior modification and work to turn those impulses down different, less destructive paths.

In the meantime, hang in there! We're here for you and understand very, very well indeed.

Last edited by calluna; 02-03-2010 at 05:22 PM.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

If your plan is unsustainable, it's not a good plan--or at least not a good plan right now. It'd be better to go up 300 calories a day than to binge 3000 extra calories once a week--heck, even if the calories were the same, spending a week fighting a binge and then three days beating yourself up over it, and then repeating the cycle is terrible for the soul. Or eat differently: work a mild splurge in once a week, an indulgence you can count on and not feel guilty about.

Once you get a sustainable plan that 1) makes you feel better about yourself, not weak and fighting your urges all the time and 2) is even 1% better than what you were doing before, you will start to feel strong and in control. Once you have that feeling, you can start refining your plan, making little twists, cutting back calories, increasing protein or fiber, adding and extending exercise. When you do, they will feel like victories, not like sacrifices. As long as you make those changes steadily, it's ok if they are slow.

Build a plan you can live with, then, and only then, shape it into the plan you want to be able to live with.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I definitely overeat more when I'm stressed... with school starting it's been a problem for me too. We're here for you! Stay strong and keep reminding yourself that you can't give up what you want MOST for what you want NOW.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

saw your post on the other related thread. Glad you are planning to get back on track - it definitely all starts with a plan!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #7  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

I too binge when I am stressed. For me, eating big is a habit...if I limit portion size, I feel deprived so what I have been doing is eating HUGE salads. I put about 3-4 cups of salad mix, chopped apple, sliced carrots, onions, a sliced cooked chicken breast and 4 tbs of light salad dressing. It takes me about 15 minutes to eat the whole thing. I drink water with it, pausing to drink between bites. I am stuffed at under 400 calories.

I eat like this every day, having a big BIG salad for lunch and dinner. I am tracking my calories meticulously on Daily Plate, so I'm 99% sure I'm right on with calories. If I eat BIG on a daily basis, I am so less likely to binge.

I happen to like veggies so eating salads like this is a treat for me. Eating big portions is a habit from binge days, so cutting portion size felt scary. I just switched to healthier binges. Maybe I'll need to work on the portions someday but now it's working for me.

I've lost 7 lbs since Dec. 26th. Not quick, not flashy but fairly easy. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Michelle98272; 02-03-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/187/150

Try to focus on the success and progress you've made rather than the setbacks. Think of how far you've come, don't beat yourself up. Pick yourself up and keep going. You're going to go much much farther!
carrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Linda Spangle's "Life is Hard, Food is Easy" has some interesting reads about the KIND of thing you binge on.

Google "Linda Spangle head heart hunger" and see if you get her chart thing. (I can't post links yet -- too new.)

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #10  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Smile

Thank You all for your Encouragement! I have two of Linda Spangle's
books the one Astrophe mentioned and one other one. I will get them out tomorrow and start reading them.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

It isn't just in your head. Stress actually causes hormonal changes that can make you hungry. I know,I've been weathering it for a few years, now,and so, finally, I decided that eating was the one area of my life where I DID have complete control....so I focused on that. Whatever is bothering you, you'll be stronger if you are taking care of yourself that means good nutrition, rest,and physical activity. Chin up, a day at a time will get you there.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote