Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #1  

Red face Newbie--and has NO clue where to start!

I had done this post once before, and I guess it got lost way out there in cyber space! Anywho..

My name is Chrissie, and I live in Indiana. I am 48, married with 4 beautiful daughters--two out on their own, and two still at home!

Nine months ago last month I quit smoking. I gained roughly about 70 lbs-give or take. When I first quit smoking I didn't care about the weight gain, I was very desperate to quit. Like life or death desperate!

Over the years not only did I add on the pounds, but I have made my psoriatic arthritis more painful that it already is. My knees hurt alot, and occasionally one of my hips give out. I have very little strength, if any at all. I mean if my knees gets bent too far, I'm going down.

My husband was told the first of this year that his employer will no longer be paying for our family health insurance, till things pick back up. Soooo we pay ALOT a week just to keeps us covered.

All of this got me to thinking how my husband and I need to start taking better care of ourselves. But before I can focus on 'we', I have to focus on me--and I know this. I want my strength back. This may sound silly but I was watching a movie with one of my daughters, it was one of those chaotic movies where a big city has come under attack, and people are running crazy in the streets and it just hit me! OMG if I had to run to save my life, forget it. I can't run, not far anways. Long story short, I wouldn't survive very long.

I am only 48 years old but I feel, and move around like an old lady! I want to be able to just do normal things. I want to gain strength back, and start eating better, not just for myself, but my family too!

And if I could take off just 20 lbs, oh I bet alot of my little issues, would be so less bothersome!

I guess what it is I am looking for is a place to begin. I've researched all of this and OMG...my head was swimming to where I almost said forget it. I'll be brutally honest, I joined weight watchers like 7 years ago, and maybe stuck with it for 3 weeks. I can't afford any diet program but I also can't afford to continue living this way. But other than the Weight Watchers, I have NEVER dieted before. I don't want to diet. I just want to eat better. More healthy.

I need meals I can cook for my family. I remember my mom cooking for us, and then turning around and making her 'diet' meal. I can't do that. I don't have time to do it. And honestly if I have to fix TWO meals, I probably won't stick with the diet. I know dieting isn't easy. I just need a simple starting point.

I am 5' 8" and as of this afternoon I weigh 205 lbs. The only excercise I get is at my 2 part time jobs. Which or both retail. One processing freight that comes in at Kohl's and the other one is sales person/cashier at Fashion Bug. Both places I am on my feet for the most part. I don't do much heavy lifting due to my hands are somewhat riddled with arthritis and grasping things, especially heavy things can be a challenge. Once I am at home I am a on my computer--there for just my fingers are doing the walkin!

Thanks for letting me join this group.
Looking forward to getting to know everyone and beginning a new chapter in my lfe!
fluffyone AKA Chrissie
fluffyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

CRISSIE ~ I sure can relate to your story; I have physical challenges that affect my health too -- so hence my moniker: I just want 2 B healthy ... This is a great place for support, Chrissie; take advantage of it. The people are great; very friendly too.

No need to make many meals; I just took all our family favorites and healthized them (is there such a word; dunno). I just cut the fat, sugar, and salt; buy the leanest meat I can. I watch for sales and stock up. I make a nice healthy, but yummy dinner; I make xtra and save them for my/our lunches the next day (saves money and time, esp if you work).

For breakfasts, I make up containers of my own homemade Muesli ahead in C-thru containers; all ready to add milk, sweetener and go. I also make 3 days or porridge ahead; put in containers in fridge and heat in micro. I also have Raisin bread, ww english muffins, and ww bagels in the freezer to grab for a quick breakfast too. You will find lots of ideas and recipes here too.

Look around, read lots, then just jump right in wherever you feel comfortable ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #3  

Hi back and thank you!! One question, do you use any salt at all? I will admit I am a salt addict, although when I do the shopping I get the salt sense. Where if my hubby pics it up, well he gets whatever salt is the cheapest!
fluffyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, I do use some salt; just not as much as I use to. I may put in about 1/2 to 1 tsp in a dish; but mostly, use herbs & spices instead. If DH or myself want to add more at the table, then that is up to us. Like you say, you can buy Mrs. Dash or some other salt substitute if you want to, but I don't ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #5  

fluffyone, if you think of this journey as a diet, you are setting yourself up for failure. A diet has a beginning and an end where we start eating our old way again - and gain it all back and then some. Think of this as a lifestyle change. You are dieting, you are teaching yourself and your children a healthy way to eat for the rest of your life. Take a look at www.mypyramid.gov and it will tell you how many servings of each food group you should be eating. It also has a free meal tracker. I firmly believe the journaling every bite, lite and taste is the key to weight loss and maintenance. To get stronger, you need to do strength training. There are tons of free exercise site on the internet of if google it. You don't need expensive exercise equipment. You can use cans of food in place of weights. Exercise is wonderful aerobic exercise that costs nothing. If you can, get a pedometer and see how many steps a day you are walking. Then add 500 a day for a week and keep building up week by week until you can walk 10,000 steps every day (about 3 miles). Put your pedometer on when you get up in the morning and wear it until you get undressed at night, every step counts. You probably get a lot with your jobs.

Keep posting and we'll try to help you.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #6  

Welcome, glad to have you!

I agree, the unbelievable volume of information about diet/exercise is very overwhelming. And the scary thing is that a LOT of it is bad. I made this post a while back to a similar question to yours so I'll post it here as well, maybe you will find it useful..

Quote:
There are literally hundreds of things that you can do to lose weight, some more effective for you than others as it's a very individual process. There are thousands of posts on just this site about difference methods, approaches, what works, etc...

Here's the "program" I would recommend...

1. Get educated about how your body work, how weight is gained and lost, this can be done anywhere.

2. Read lots of ideas/tips/techniques, but ultimately realize that there is no magic formula that guarantees success for you.

3. Realize that it all points to one simple rule --- Calories In < Calories Out = Weight Loss

4. Build a plan that works for you to create a calorie defecit. This can be by reducing calories in (i.e. eating better) or by increasing calories out (exercising more, or more effectively). Preferably a combination of both. Plan should be designed to work within your personality, strengths/weakneses

5. Execute your plan

6. When you inevitably fail to follow you plan perfectly, get back on the horse quickly. Don't let a helping of greasy chips turn into the entire bag turn into a giant fast food meal turn into a day of non-stop binging turn into a week of old eating habits.

7. Do not get too caught up in what your mind thinks are appropriate results (i.e. 7 lbs by Valentine's day). Your body will change at its own pace based on the proper execution of your plan. Getting depressed that something doesn't happen when you think it should is a guaranteed way to fail since your idea of success is pretty arbitrary.

8. Celebrate success and think about and learn from failure
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #7  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Welcome! Keep coming back and read and post. This is a GREAT place!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #8  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi fluffyone!
It really can seem so overwhelming to decide on the right plan, maybe try calorie counting or low carb, a lot of people here have been successful with those plans - small changes can lead to big results so take it a step at a time - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired - you'll be a wonderful addition to any of them. Try the 40 somethings and the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/165/140

Height: 5'3

WELCOME
I am also a newbie and no clue where to start...
loseit1977 is offline   Reply With Quote