Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250 / 185 / 150

Height: 5'10"

Exclamation i'm new here and really need some added motivation! :(

hey everyone. i just found this forum on a google search so figured i'd give it a try. hope everyone's doing well today.

well, a little about me.. i'm 26, and a mother of 3 kids - ages 6, almost 4, and almost 3. (b-days are coming up soon!!)

about 9 months ago i started really trying to lose some weight. i hit my heaviest ever, at 250 lbs.
now, don't get me wrong, i've NEVER been "skinny". i've always had a weight problem, but it's never really bothered me as much as it has the last year.
i've been somewhat successful in my weight loss. a few weeks ago i was down to 185!! i was so proud of myself.

however... as soon as i hit 185, i figured now would be a good time to start exercising a little instead of just dieting, in hopes to help with the rest of my weight loss and get rid of that stubborn belly fat that just wont go away!

i must say i'm NOT happy with my results so far.. i started exercising, and ended up gaining weight back and now my jeans are not as loose as they were. i weighed myself today and i'm back to 193lbs!!

i understand muscle weighs more than fat does, but adding muscle wouldn't explain my pants getting a little tighter again...would it?

it's not like i was over-doing it.. all i did was about 10-20 pushups, 25 situps, and 25 squats per day, 5 times a week.

however...i guess because i was burning a few more calories than i've been used to for the last 9 months, it made me hungrier. but instead of being a good girl and eating the right foods, all i craved were sweets!
i was doing SO good about not munching on the cookies the kids and i made together, i'd save them all for the kids. but lately i haven't even wanted to LOOK at normal food...all i want are sweets.

i'm sure others out there have went through something similar to this, i just haven't met any of them... so if anyone reading this has been in the same boat as me... PLEASE give me some advice/tips on how to get through this.

should i cut out the small bit of exercise for a bit longer? for instance, until i'm closer to my weight goal?
i don't want to stop making cookies for the kids..they don't have a weight problem - i do! and i love the time i get to spend with them (even though they always leave me a big mess to clean up afterward haha)

anyway...i'm sorry for rambling on so much.. i just don't know what to do. i'm in this depressive mood (for more reasons than just the weight loss problem) and i just can't seem to snap out of it lately. ANY suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance
SuperMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/194/140

Height: 5'7

I know exactly what you mean. Stick with the exercise and right after have a protein shake. I recommend lean dessert, it's great. This will curb off any immediate hunger you get and help build lean muscle. Then later when you get hungry make a healthy meal with lots of veggies.
As far as the cookies go, pick up a copy of the clean diet magazine. It has lots of great recipes and you can find cookie recipes on many clean diet websites. The kids wont even know that they are eating healthy and when the urge to have a cookie yourself rolls around it wont be as big of a splurge. Remember they'll still have some bad calories but not as many and no trans fat.
Selca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #3  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the site!!

I would keep up the exercise...it will help burn more calories and tone your muscles. I do suggest you keep a journal of what you are eating. I have done this for well over 2 years now and it really helps. That way if the scale is up you can see why.

I made goal about a year or so ago and went back to crazy eating so I'm on my journey again knowing what I did wrong. With that said diet and exercise does work, you just need to find the right balance for you. I eat 1350-1450 calories a day and usually work out on my treadmill for 45min a day. I recently had to up my calories, I felt I started a little too low for the exercise I was doing. Maybe that would help you. Have you been counting calories or just watching what kind of foods you have been eating?
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 269/264/165

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

Hi Supermom. Welcome. I'm new here too. I've experienced the same thing as you. It can be very frustrating. I agree with Selca and Brendansmum, stick with the exercise! Sometimes using a measuring tape to track your weight loss can be helpful during times like these. You can see inches lost rather than just relying on the scale.

I had to get honest with myself recently and start keeping a food journal (again). I tend to graze and not really keep track of what I'm eating, thinking a few bites here and there are okay and don't really count. I have a journal I carry around with me and also use fitday.com to see what my intake truly is. Wow, did that help me get back on track.

I know what it's like. I've got 2 kids and a husband who always ask for snacks and sweets. I'm trying to help them be healthy too!

Hope that helps and hang in there!
motormama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #5  

selca, thank you very much. i will definitely check out that book as soon as i get my car out of the shop!

brendansmum, neither really. i find that when i put so much effort into a diet, that i end up completely bored with it and giving up. all i've really done the past 9 months is i started taking dexatrim max, and while none of the other appetite suppressants have ever worked for me, i changed the dosing of this one up a bit and it's been a big help. instead of taking 2 before breakfast and 2 before lunch, i just take 3 when i wake up in the morning and up until the last two or three weeks, it helped tremendously. i was still eating the same foods, just smaller portions and cut out the sweet snacks (such as cookies and cakes) in between meals.

but lately they haven't really been doing as well for me. my hunger is back almost to where it was when i started, but i don't want to go over the recommended amount of these pills per day, which is 4. but taking 3 in the AM and 1 in the afternoon really doesn't do anything but make me sick to my stomach.

i guess it's just time to find a new way to curb my appetite...and here i was just getting ready to try and quit smoking too since i was doing so good..but i know me, and i can't do the diet thing AND try to quit smoking at the same time. i have to do one, finish it..then start the other goal.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormama View Post
Hi Supermom. Welcome. I'm new here too. I've experienced the same thing as you. It can be very frustrating. I agree with Selca and Brendansmum, stick with the exercise! Sometimes using a measuring tape to track your weight loss can be helpful during times like these. You can see inches lost rather than just relying on the scale.

I had to get honest with myself recently and start keeping a food journal (again). I tend to graze and not really keep track of what I'm eating, thinking a few bites here and there are okay and don't really count. I have a journal I carry around with me and also use fitday.com to see what my intake truly is. Wow, did that help me get back on track.

I know what it's like. I've got 2 kids and a husband who always ask for snacks and sweets. I'm trying to help them be healthy too!

Hope that helps and hang in there!

hi, and welcome to you as well!
yeah, i've just recently got out the measuring tape. been scared to, but know that i really should be doing it. i wish now that i had gotten it out when i started this 9 months ago!

i'm not married, but i do have a boyfriend who lives with us..and boy does he ever have a sweet tooth. at LEAST 5 nights a week he's asking "can you make some peanut butter cookies? or a red velvet cake. or.....etc etc" i was doing good when he first moved in about not munching on these things when i made them for him.. but then he started complaining because i'd cook them but never eat them with him. so i started off small, with just one cookie and a small glass of milk... or a tiny slice of cake. but then after a little while the cravings for these things got more and more intense..so instead of one cookie, i'd have 4 or five...or if i made a cake, i'd throw on some extra icing on my slice, or take a bigger slice all together.

i know we as humans need food to survive...but why does some things have to have such a big hold on me? lol
Old 02-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #7  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi SuperMom!
Wow, you really picked the right name, you must have your hands full with those 3! - congrats on your success so far, follow the great advice these ladies have offered to get through this bump in the road - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired - you'll be a wonderful addition to any of them. Try the 20 somethings and the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Ok here is how I deal with sweet cravings (most of the time)

I have a standard dessert I have every night. And it really works too because I tell myself all day "don't worry, dessert is coming". And for those with bf/dh sabatoge....we have dessert at the same time....

So my dessert is
coffee with a shot baileys (decaf)
2 ghiridelli dark chocolate with mint filling

And I eat it slowing and the coffee makes the chocolate so much better. And alot of times I'm going "mmmmmm" outloud!
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeway View Post
Hi SuperMom!
Wow, you really picked the right name, you must have your hands full with those 3! - congrats on your success so far, follow the great advice these ladies have offered to get through this bump in the road - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired - you'll be a wonderful addition to any of them. Try the 20 somethings and the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

hey thanks for the warm welcome! and yeah, i definitely have my hands full with the kids haha but i wouldn't have it any other way!! they're my world.
not to mention the 3 dogs, 3 cats, and boyfriend i have to take care of too haha

thanks for the advice, i will definitely check out those forums you suggested.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcossel View Post
Ok here is how I deal with sweet cravings (most of the time)

I have a standard dessert I have every night. And it really works too because I tell myself all day "don't worry, dessert is coming". And for those with bf/dh sabatoge....we have dessert at the same time....

So my dessert is
coffee with a shot baileys (decaf)
2 ghiridelli dark chocolate with mint filling

And I eat it slowing and the coffee makes the chocolate so much better. And alot of times I'm going "mmmmmm" outloud!

theres my problem though.. i do good if i can just keep away from sweets...but once i start munching i can't make myself stop until i'm just utterly full. lol but i am proud of myself!!! i wanted something sweet sooo bad last night after having an early dinner (we usually eat about 6 or 6:30, but ended up eating about 4:30) and we still had 1/4 of a red velvet cake left over. i SO wanted to dig into it...but i didn't. instead, i boiled some fresh asparagus (my fave veggie!) in a little bit of butter and munched on that instead. and let the kids finish off the cake so i wouldn't be tempted by it any more haha

i normally try to have a later dinner so that i wont be hungry later on, right before bed..when i do that there's usually a lesser chance of me digging into a bunch of sweets.