Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Default Help! Overeating!

You would think I would know better....but alas no such luck. So it started on a Sunday, and I just figured that I was bored, and it was a one time thing. Then came Monday, then Tuesday, now Wednesday and each of these days I've overate. Not just a little but a lot. To the point a minute ago I thought I was going to be sick (and it's only lunch!). I guess to a point I'm lucky that during these binges I've gained only (shudders) 3 lbs. But 3 lb gain in 3 days is crazy. I'm spiraling out of control.

I'm good for breakfast. No problems. Then lunch. That's where the problems start. I eat probably three portions of the lunch, because I just can't get full. I'm full for about 2 hours, then I think I'm starving a gain. So I eat....and eat...oh yea and I eat some more. Dinner I'm eating again (not that I've stopped in between lunch and dinner.

I'm not sure how to stop. I'm drinking liters (about 4.5) of water a day to try to curb the hunger. Started chewing gum, tried avoiding food, tried making better food choices. Yet nothing has worked.

I don't want to sweep it under the rug, because I think that it might continue to go on if I don't stop it now. In fact I'm highly embarrassed and don't want to post this here, yet I know it is something I must do or else I will keep living in denial and those pounds I lost will come back bringing their friends!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

What ? Oh no, this is not an option....just a temporary set back...and I bet most of that 3 lbs is water weight, so no self flagilation is required... You have 53 lbs off to date and 53 more to go...forget the indiscretion and make a list of all the things that have made you successful. Then just focus like crazy. I know you can do it !
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5.5"

You have lost so much and done so well. I know you can get this under control.

Can you look at what you are eating in terms of how hungry it makes you? I find that a high protein, low fat and low carb diet makes me feel a lot more full. I know that others use a low Glycemic Index diet to make them feel more full. Still others try high fiber food. Do you know what type of diet makes you feel more full? Try that for a while.

Also consider setting your calories to maintenance for a week or two to get this under control. You won't have a huge gain at 2500 calories a day and you will not feel hungry so you won't feel the urge to overeat.

You might also consider where you are in your monthly cycle. Sometimes your hormones can get out of whack and make you feel crazy hungry. Maybe and ob/gyn could help if that is the case.

Keep posting and letting us know how things are going for you. Do not be embarrassed to post. I've been right where you are today. I bet all of us have had similar problems. We wouldn't be in the 100lb club if we didn't have trouble with eating!

Most of all don't give up. You have done sooo well losing over 50lb. I know you can get back on track.

Last edited by LizR; 02-03-2010 at 07:53 AM.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/244/130

Height: 5'4"

Ohhhh I sooooo completely understand. Your panic eating. And when you realize your over eating your panic eating again. Stop, calm down, say okay, i've made some unwise choices lately, but lets get back on track. Even if you can cut it just a little bit, it will help you. Don't give up, it's not a give up thing. You've made some unwise choices, but you've made good ones in the past and you can make them again. It's NEVER to late to start again.

What has helped me to feel fuller is bread. I get whole grain breed with spray butter. Try a bowl of whole grain cerial, because you can have more than a serving with skim milk and it's still better than going for a big mac.

Last edited by moveforward73; 02-03-2010 at 08:02 AM.
moveforward73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

You have 2 choices girlfriend.

You can keep binging and continue to gain weight, (at what point is the water weight real?...sooner than you think ) *OR* you can get your rear into gear and work through this. Get back into control....you CAN do it!

I have to wonder what you are eating at breakfast to be so ravenous at lunch. You need "real" food with staying power...not some bar or packet of something processed. NEXT: Vegetables. Loads of high fiber, low calories, low starch vegetables. If you are having *real* hunger issues, vegetables will fill you up without any damage. When I think I'm hungry, I reach for my veggie bag in the fride. This week it is full of raw cauliflower, carrot sticks, radishes, and celery. I grab a huge handful and by the time I'd done gnawing on it the "hunger" is gone and no damage is done. IT works EVERY time, unless of course, I'm not really hungry and in a bad place mentally.
If that's the case it's time to bring out the big guns...and for me that is prayer
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Do you plan out your days so that you KNOW EXACTLY what you will be eating? Do you have your foods all ready to go? Do you know what you'll be having at every meal/snack? This way there's no venturing off plan. Do you have a calorie budget?

As far as being hungry - what KINDS of foods are you eating? I need very high quality foods (veggies (fiber) and protein in order to keep me satiated and full. No 100 calorie packs for me - total air food and leave me hungry in no time. I also eat frequently so that I avoid getting hungry.

Food journaling is a great way to get me back on track. You bite it, you write it - puts the brakes on overeating. I see you've lost quite a bit of weight. Seems like now would be a great time to get back dieting one oh one.

You have the ability to do this. Give yourself one perfect day on plan, and follow it up with another and another and before you know it you will be back in the groove.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #7  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Quote from you: I don't want to sweep it under the rug, because I think that it might continue to go on if I don't stop it now. In fact I'm highly embarrassed and don't want to post this here, yet I know it is something I must do or else I will keep living in denial and those pounds I lost will come back bringing their friends!

Good for you! Asking for help!

You CAN stop NOW! You CAN do things differently! Believe this!!

I am bringing out the dancers for you...they are doing a YOU CAN DO THIS jig especially for YOU!
HOOT!!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #8  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Red face Get back on plan right away

I was going to say eat more smaller meals. Ration out your calories through the day. I do that and on days I get hungry I before "it's time", I have back up food. LoriBell was a great help on the midday/morning munchies. I was cured by the evening.

CATHY: Love the dancers for her. I'm going to add some too.
:c heer:

You can do this Girl!!!
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #9  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Maybe the food choices you are making isn't filling? Are you getting enough fiber and eating some protein with breakfast?
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

great advice and questions.

The one thing I would add is to still journal/track what you are eating. It's either not as bad as you think it is, or it really is that bad, but you need to see that in black and white so that you can remember that the next time you feel like you want to eat and have to make that decision on what to have.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you should consider consulting with a registered dietitian who specializes in eating disorders. Not saying that you have one, but it is unusual for someone to eat until they are almost sick. I'd see my doctor if I were you, get a referral.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Thanks everyone for their support and ideas. I think now that I've fessed up to what I've been doing I can no longer hide it and don't want to slink off in shame so I'm going to put the ideas you gave me to work.

As for what I eat starting out I eat breakfast, consisting of a bowl of cereal (so energy kind) and 1.5% milk. Then lunch is whatever the university sends. It is always some soup, with a main dish (for example today pasta w/ potato pieces), and a vegetable usually. Throughout work I usually eat an apple, orange, wheat crackers, sensible things, then dinner is the leftover soup and salad. I eat dinner at 6/7 and usually don't sleep until about midnight/1 so I am wondering if maybe this is why I'm so hungry around 11 am?

I think I should incorporate more veggies and protein. Maybe I will reach for this instead of my meal that I have no idea how many calories are in! I've also decided to cut out treats, last week I made banana bread this week brownies.....these have been setting me off into a binge. Think I'll skip making anything like this until I've got myself under control!

I think that I might try calorie counting, I've thought about it but haven't done it yet. It will help me to establish where I am calorie wise because right now I'm eating blind....which isn't a good think.

Thank you all once again! I'm sure that I would never have been able to get so far in this journey without everyone and their continual support! Sometime I really do need a kick in the pants, and reading these comments gives me the motivation to take on anything
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Maybe you should consider consulting with a registered dietitian who specializes in eating disorders. Not saying that you have one, but it is unusual for someone to eat until they are almost sick. I'd see my doctor if I were you, get a referral.

Jay
Back in the day I ate till I was almost sick most days of the week, so for me, it wasn't all that unusual, in fact it was indeed usual. and I suppose (more than suppose) that *I* did have disordered eating behaviors.

A nutritionist/dietitian could not have helped though, it was me. I needed to help me. But of course we are all different.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #14  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Meagan, it looks like you need more protein and vegies....maybe you could try that.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #15  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

Jay
Am I the only one here who has, on a regular basis, ate so much I've felt sick or wished I could vomit? I don't mean to be abrupt but I have to disagree, I think to be 100+ lbs overweight, it's probably pretty common to have eaten enough to feel ill.

To the OP, I think you've done a great thing coming here, posting and asking for help! I like Rockinrobin's advice...just one on plan day, then follow it by another.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote