20-Somethings - Bust/Waist/Hip measurements...fill me in

mkendrick
02-02-2010, 11:49 PM
I unfortunately do not have a tape measurer, I keep forgetting to get one at Walmart. So I've been doing the next best thing, standing in my bday suit in front of the mirror using strings, then cutting the strings and measuring them. I'm sure I lose a few accuracy points, but it gives me a general idea.

I do wish I would have measured at the beginning, but I just got a nudge of curiosity and did it tonight. My measurements were:

Bust: 39.0
Waist: 30.5
Hips: 40.5

According to a calculator, my waist-hip ratio is .75. I guess I have no idea what that means. I understand where they get the number from, but I don't know what a healthy WHR is.

I also guess this makes me hourglass/slightly pearshaped? I really just have no sense of what these numbers are. Big, small, average. I'm so used to thinking in weight and BMI, I don't have anything to compare measurements to, haha.

loquaciousjogger
02-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I did this too...but I put mine into a calculator (I'm large around the thighs/hips), but it said I have a ridiculously high amount of fat on my body.... Although, I'm at a healthy BMI right now. WTF?

KforKitty
02-03-2010, 05:05 AM
I'm very similar in stats to you, although not quite so much in the bust. I measure 37", 31", 41". A waist to hip ratio of less than 0.8 in women is supposed to be healthy. Interestingly I'm also much shorter than you but somehow still manage to be heavier. Its things like that I don't understand, how I can weigh so much more in a similar sized frame and yet still be 4" shorter.

Kitty

Lyria
02-03-2010, 06:01 AM
I'm 26" in the waist and 38" around the hips with a ratio of 0.68. I'm a definite pear shape :D

Fat Pants
02-03-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm also a healthy BMI but I'm pretty sure I still have a high amount of body fat %. I'm totally "skinny fat" lol, but then again, when I started this journey I would have given my left arm just to BE skinny fat, you know? Now I'm concentrating on losing body fat % because it still puts me at high risk for obesity-related disease. In fact, someone just posted an article about this in the Maintainers forum! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library/192250-article-scales-can-lie-hidden-fat.html#post3131854

I've been taking measurements from pretty much the beginning so it's been really cool to see how things have progressed... especially when the scale sucks.

Starting Hips: 49.5″
Starting Waist: 40.5″
Starting Thighs: 29″
Starting Calves: 15″
Starting Chest: 42″
Starting Arms: 16″

Hips: 34″ (-15.5)
Waist: 29″ (-11.5)
Thighs: 20.5″ (-8.5)
Calves: 13″ (-2)
Chest: 33″ (-9)
Arms: 11.5″ (-4.5)

mkendrick
02-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Fat Pants, I'm skinny fat too. Well, not entirely skinny, but I'm certainly not toned. I've just recently started getting serious about it.

My legs and arms tone fairly easily. I've only been doing strength training for 3 days and I already have defined calves, quads, and biceps. My whole core section, which is my big issue, takes longer. Maybe once I tone, it'll tighten everything up and bring it all in. Hence, less inches. I can only hope, haha.

stargzr
02-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I usually think of measurements in terms of model measurements (34-24-34). I know they aren't something I should aspire to, but it's the only measurements that are broadcast out there for everyone to know... so it gives me a good idea of whether I am considered "big" or not. I can't recall my measurements at the moment (I'm at work and they're at home)... but I noticed you said your bust was 39, is that what size bra you wear? Or were you measuring over the ladies? (I was just asking because to me you don't look like a 39 in your avatar.)

edit: One thing I thought of... They say it's healthy if your waist measurement is below 30" for a woman.

Tuca125
02-03-2010, 10:33 AM
well as for me my goal weight is 125 ... so when I get to 129 I will star working more in my body fat which was 43% and now is 35% I will love something under 30.

When you girls say waist where exactly do you measure , at you belly or a your narrow point.

I ask this because I have 4" different from one to another .

Starting Hips: 41.5″
Starting Waist: 35.5″
Starting at my belly: 42.5"
Starting Thighs: 25.5″
Starting Chest: 43.5″
Starting Arms: 13.5″

Hips: 36.5″
Waist: 31″
Thighs: 21.5″
At my belly:35
Chest: 39″
Arms: 10.5″

forestroad
02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
It's weird to see my body shape changing in my measurements, bc I hadn't noticed with the naked eye. I started out with a 10in difference between my waist and hips (~32-42), and now it's down to 9 (~27.5-36.5). I guess I'm less of a pear than I thought.

Although, I'm confused about where to measure hips. They say at your widest part, but that's ambiguous for me. I have a local maximum around my hip bones, which is what measures 36.5; then my body goes in again at my hip flexors, and then back out around the tops of my thighs. If I were to measure at my truly widest part, the tape measure would be around the bottom of my butt and right at my crotch or even lower, and be closer to 38.5. Which is my hip measurement?

These are my stats:

Weight: ~133
Height: 5'4.75"
Bust: 35"
Waist: 27.5"
Hips: 36.5"
BF%: ~22%
US Size: 6-8 in most things.

stellarosa27
02-03-2010, 11:16 AM
but I noticed you said your bust was 39, is that what size bra you wear? Or were you measuring over the ladies? (I was just asking because to me you don't look like a 39 in your avatar.)

I second this question :)

I measure under the girls, and I think I'm at 35.5 now. I have to check my measurements at home - and I just remembered my scale has a body fat % checker thing. A few years ago they measured it at my gym and I *think* I was like 40% (terrible) and that has had to have gone down by now...

Fat Pants
02-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Fat Pants, I'm skinny fat too. Well, not entirely skinny, but I'm certainly not toned. I've just recently started getting serious about it.

My legs and arms tone fairly easily. I've only been doing strength training for 3 days and I already have defined calves, quads, and biceps. My whole core section, which is my big issue, takes longer. Maybe once I tone, it'll tighten everything up and bring it all in. Hence, less inches. I can only hope, haha.

That's my problem, too. My legs and arms/upper body are pretty good, but my butt, hips and tummy are pretty flabby. I'm really hitting it up with core work and lots of squats/lunges. My gosh, do I hate the lunges...!

Fat Pants
02-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I second this question :)

I measure under the girls, and I think I'm at 35.5 now. I have to check my measurements at home - and I just remembered my scale has a body fat % checker thing. A few years ago they measured it at my gym and I *think* I was like 40% (terrible) and that has had to have gone down by now...

For my chest measurement, I measure under the armpits, but not the "bust" - the actual chest. So my chest measurement is 33" or whatever but I'm pretty sure my bust measurement is 37" the last time I checked. I never started out checking my bust measurement so I don't know what the inches were when I first started... but I have gone from a 42DDD to a 36D. :yikes:

tkm256
02-03-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't put much stock in the waist-hip ratio. I'm a 35-27.5-38--extreme pear--so I look artificially healthy by WHR standards. I mean, I am generally healthy, but I think my body fat percentage is a lot higher than you would assume from that number alone, because it all sits in the thighs.

stargzr
02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Your waist measurement would be about an inch above your navel, or the smallest part of your torso. Your hip measurement would be around your hip bone area where it's the largest. When you get to below your hip bones, that becomes more of a cumulative thigh measurement.

stellarosa27
02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Your waist measurement would be about an inch above your navel, or the smallest part of your torso. Your hip measurement would be around your hip bone area where it's the largest. When you get to below your hip bones, that becomes more of a cumulative thigh measurement.

Oh good. That's what I've been doing.

I think last time I checked I was 36/31/39. I still consider that hourglass (esp since I measure right under my bust, so maybe if I did it the way FatPants suggested it would be slightly bigger). My waist is definately shrinking a lot faster than anything else - and I'm okay with that.

Tuca125
02-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't put much stock in the waist-hip ratio. I'm a 35-27.5-38--extreme pear--so I look artificially healthy by WHR standards. I mean, I am generally healthy, but I think my body fat percentage is a lot higher than you would assume from that number alone, because it all sits in the thighs.

this is so true ..... I have no hips :( so waist-hip ratio is to high .

Let see what happen when I am finish whit my lose weight journey.

I want my hips to stop shrink now......:mad:.

Tuca125
02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
this is so true ..... I have no hips :( so waist-hip ratio is to high .

Let see what happen when I am finish whit my lose weight journey.

I want my hips to stop shrink now......:mad:.

jajaj I was "thinking " I may have some hips .... but I will see then when my waist get smaller .

But every time my waist get smaller so my hips :(

Iconised Ghost
02-03-2010, 01:33 PM
My waist has gone from 88.5cm (34.8 inches) to 74cm (29 inches) and my hips have gone from 101.5cm (40ish inches) to 83cm (32.7 inches). I think this makes my waist:hip ratio around 0.83 or something? So im totally a pear. Its a cruel thing, around 10kg ago I was a total hour glass.

forestroad
02-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Star- thanks for the clarification :)

Icon- I think that's more rectangle than pear. 33" hips is like model-ville :) I was also more hourglassy around 155-160lbs. I miss my boobs.

Iconised Ghost
02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
ooh maybe i should run it again

0.89, which is apparently an apple, and "high risk" for heart disease, stroke and diabetes :dizzy: well screw you BMI-calculator.net, screw you xD

I still have my boobs but i miss my hips

Tuca125
02-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I still have my boobs but i miss my hips
Same here :hug:

Iconised Ghost
02-03-2010, 02:11 PM
maybe we should transfer some boobage to our hips :lol:

Mariella
02-03-2010, 02:16 PM
According to a calculator, my waist-hip ratio is .75. I guess I have no idea what that means. I understand where they get the number from, but I don't know what a healthy WHR is.

Here is a chart and some info to help you interpret what your waist to hip ratio means:

Waist to Hip Ratio Chart
Male Female Health Risk Based Solely on WHR
0.95 or below || 0.80 or below || Low Risk
0.96 to 1.0 || 0.81 to 0.85 || Moderate Risk
1.0+ || 0.85+ || High Risk

"Your health is not only affected by how much body fat you have, but also by where most of the fat is located on your body. People who tend to gain weight mostly in their hips and buttocks have roughly a pear body shape, while people who tend to gain weight mostly in the abdomen have more of an apple body shape.

If you have an apple shaped body rather than a pear shaped body, you are at increased risk for the health problems associated with obesity, such as diabetes, coronary heart disease and high blood pressure - that's something you inherited, and have had since birth - but you can take special care to keep your weight at a healthy level, eat nutritiously, exercise as appropriate, and maintain other healthy lifestyle habits."

I recall reading that the fat that women with naturally larger thighs & hips is called "brown fat" is considered less dangerous than the type of fat ("white fat") that accumulates around our middle and inside the abdomen around our organs.

"Female hip and thigh fat present substantially less health risk than male abdominal fat, say Robert A. Robergs, Ph.D., and Scott O. Roberts, Ph.D. in their new textbook EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY: Exercise, Performance, and Clinical Applications (Mosby, 1997). Dr. Gaesser explains why. He says it's because the female fat tissue takes potentially harmful fat out of the blood stream. Female lower-body fat cells contain an abundance of an enzyme called lipoprotein lipase, which says Dr. Gaesser: "causes them to store fat easily," and as you can verify, "give it up very begrudgingly.""

Congrats on your sexy and healthy hourglass figure!

mkendrick
02-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Wow, this is all confusing, haha!

I used this diagram, so I measured around the "girls." I wear a size 36C bra. http://jas-townsend.com/figures.jpg

I'd kind of like to have somebody professionally measure me, just so I know where I'm at for sure, lol.

sun
02-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I was reading through here and have a question. If I measure at the smallest part of my waist I am 30 but my fat isn't there . I cinched in the middle when I am loosing weight and my chubbiest part is my bottom roll. I have been measuring that and its 35. Is it not accurate?

byebyebelly
02-03-2010, 02:49 PM
i just started my diet so i haven't taken my measurements yet ( scared to ) but i have a fair idea of where i'll be when i'm at goal. My weight came on with pregnancy a few years ago and i just never got rid of it. But my boobs before my daughter where a 36 A :( during pregnancy they went up to a 36DD, and right now they sit at a 36D...so i told my hubby to kiss those babies good bye cause i'm sure they'll be the first things to go! I'll post my measurements when i take them later.

mkendrick
02-03-2010, 02:53 PM
i just started my diet so i haven't taken my measurements yet ( scared to ) but i have a fair idea of where i'll be when i'm at goal. My weight came on with pregnancy a few years ago and i just never got rid of it. But my boobs before my daughter where a 36 A :( during pregnancy they went up to a 36DD, and right now they sit at a 36D...so i told my hubby to kiss those babies good bye cause i'm sure they'll be the first things to go! I'll post my measurements when i take them later.

Haha, when I told my boyfriend I was going to get serious about weight loss, he got this concerned saddened look on his face and said "but...your boobs?" Haha, men have much simpler ideas about our bodies than we do. We seem to think that men have these exact proportions in their heads that they consider ideal, but most guys I've talked to just think "mmm...butt. mmm...boobs" Hahaha

Lyria
02-03-2010, 03:01 PM
TKM - hehehe, I must be like the extreme extreme version :P

I just went and did a few other measurements:

Waist - 26"
Hips: - 38"
Thighs - 20.5"
Chest - 34.5"
Arm - 10" (around the bicep)
Neck - 12"
Calf - 14"

My hips are way out there, it makes me two distinct sizes lol. But I have come to love them because I love having a wasp waist :)

...never thought I would see the day when I admitted I LIKED my hips!

Complete lack of boobage... not such a fan :P

and yes, toning and strength exercises is absolutely key to tightening up your body. I love my weights :)

loquaciousjogger
02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Hmm, I just redid my measurements since my period is NEARLY over.

Under Bust: 29
Bust: 34
Waist: 29
Hips: 36 (Confused, is this at the widest part of the butt? if so, 40 then.)
Arm: 10
Neck: 13
Calf: 15.5
Thigh: 22

Thighs: I hate you. lol.

I'm just wondering once I get into uncharted territory how I'll look. When I shortly reached 142, my stomach was uber lean and my thighs were a little smaller although my bust was pretty much still there. I'm curious whether I'll still be such an obvious pear shape.... We'll have to see! ;)

ella13
02-03-2010, 08:03 PM
It's very interesting to see the different sizes and weights just goes to show how different everyone's body shape is! I will never have a really low WH ratio, I am just not built curvy like that.

Bust 35"
Waist 27.5"
Hips 36.5"

This puts me at a size 6 (most of the time). I am hoping for an all over shrink!

Aurora
02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
so, i've always heard bust is over your boobs. bust measurement for bra band size is back to above your boobs. so i wind up with a 36D, having a band measurement of 35 and a bust measurement of 38.5.... if i measured under my boobs, i would be 32/33! and i'm pretty busty!

also waist is smallest part and hips are largest part. these measurements are how you fit into clothes.

anyway, measuring my way, i'm 38.5-27-38.5 a rather extreme hourglass. and a size 8 :D my hips at my hipbones are more like 36.

i think part of the reason we are all such different measurements/sizes is how much weight we carry in our arms and legs. i'm pretty average (carry a bit there, not a lot). my sister has very muscular arms and legs, and she carries fat everywhere, so she would always have slightly smaller measurements at the same weight.

she gets better vanity sizing; i look better in shorts....

Mikayla
02-03-2010, 09:10 PM

OK I have the weirdest body. My measurement at my bellybutton is 34 but an inch above my belly button is a 36 it is NOT the smallest part of me...I have a ring of fat around this area...i am the only one I know who is built like this, is there anyone else?

My measurments are:

Bust 44
Waist 34
Hips 46

KurLEQ
02-03-2010, 11:34 PM
My starting measurements were:
Bust: 42.5 Now: 39
Waist: 37 Now: 32
Hips:45.25 Now: 40.5

These are only from when I weighed 177 until now at 153. I can't even imagine what it was at 192. Went from a size 16/18 to a size 12 though.

redlight
02-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Wow, this is all confusing, haha!

I used this diagram, so I measured around the "girls." I wear a size 36C bra. http://jas-townsend.com/figures.jpg

I'd kind of like to have somebody professionally measure me, just so I know where I'm at for sure, lol.

I wear the same size (well 36C or 34D depending on the bra and where I am on my cycle).

My waist is 27.5 and hips 36.5. I have thought of myself as being more apple like. I would like larger hips.

tkm256
02-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Lyria: At least you're extreme in the right direction :D I wish my waist was that small.

forestroad
02-04-2010, 11:33 AM
redlight--we have the same waist/hip measurements but I've always thought of myself as a pear. Maybe bc I'm shorter so a 9in difference looks more dramatic on my torso.

Lyria
02-04-2010, 02:52 PM
TKM - yours IS small :P

Thats why I went and remeasured, I was starting to feel like it couldnt possibly have been right lol. It's actually a bit pesky because it makes me two different sizes between hips and waist so nothing ever fits properly :P Not to mention the runners thighs!

MonteCristo
02-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I unfortunately do not have a tape measurer, I keep forgetting to get one at Walmart. So I've been doing the next best thing, standing in my bday suit in front of the mirror using strings, then cutting the strings and measuring them. I'm sure I lose a few accuracy points, but it gives me a general idea.

I do wish I would have measured at the beginning, but I just got a nudge of curiosity and did it tonight. My measurements were:

Bust: 39.0
Waist: 30.5
Hips: 40.5

I also guess this makes me hourglass/slightly pearshaped? I really just have no sense of what these numbers are. Big, small, average. I'm so used to thinking in weight and BMI, I don't have anything to compare measurements to, haha.

I think it is perfect. Oh, and my measurements are 39/30/40. Coincidence? :D

According to Jillian, your WHR is suppose to be .8 or smaller.

You know, reading your post has actually proved something to me that I thought might just be all in my head. We have almost the exact same measurements, wear the same size bra, but you are 2.5" taller and weigh 10lbs less. I KNEW I was dense, but this is eye opening.

bablou00
02-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Measurements and sizes are so so different for everyone depending on fat, muscle and bone density. Im comparing myself to a lot of the ladies here and we all no matter how similar some of our numbers may be fall in different categories. Rt now I wear I size 4 some 2's and my 6's are falling off me. However 10lbs heavier Im still in a 6 pushing it to a size 8. When Im at my heaviest Im more a pear shape but when Im leaner I have more of a boyish figure (no boobies for sure)

Here are my starting measurements in Nov 2009

Chest: 33.5
Waist: 29
Hips 37.5
Weight: 148

Measurements a few wks ago Jan 2010

Chest: 32
Waist: 26.5
Hips: 35.5
Weight: 139 (at the time of measurements)

I never put too much stock in my weight Im more concerned with my pants sizes. I gain weight everywhere and mostly in on the bottom half. So thats where the semi pear shape comes into play....I have a bubble butt:D

JulieJ08
02-05-2010, 11:32 AM
So many of you have 35 and 36 inch hips! I can't even conceive of that, lol :) (Roughly, my waist is around 27 and hips almost 39 inches.)

redlight
02-05-2010, 11:02 PM
So many of you have 35 and 36 inch hips! I can't even conceive of that, lol :) (Roughly, my waist is around 27 and hips almost 39 inches.)

I'd love to have your measurements. I feel my hips are too small. But if I put on 10 lbs, it would go to my belly.

Lyria
02-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Julie - I'm the same way, my hips are just wide! The ONLY time they have been 35" is when I was at the low point of an eating disorder. My waist in comparison at that time was 22.5 - 23" so... not healthy, and definitely not something my body is designed to achieve.

As has been mentioned previously, we're all very different in the way we're put together :D Both of my sisters have narrow hips and thicker waists in comparison to myself - they both take after my mum. My sister and I once both measured ourselves to see what the difference really was between us. She was 28" waist and 36" hips and I was 26" waist and 38" hips lol. We're the total reverse of each other :P

carpediem
02-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Sometimes it's good to remember that numbers are just numbers. For us, metric users, the ideal measures are: 90/60/90 which equals to around 35.5/23.6/35.5 just because these are round numbers in cm. Trying to achieve an standard is so relative...

JulieJ08
02-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Julie - I'm the same way, my hips are just wide!

Sigh, I know. I don't mind wide hips. I like hips. I just wish my butt wasn't flat. Squats will never make it what it isn't. Oh well! I don't mean that I pine away over it. Life is too short.

sarahlynn89
02-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Mine are

Bust: 39.5"
Waist: 31"
Hips: 43"

I have a HUGE butt and big boobs. I was really surprised to see my hips at 43"... I never knew my butt was quite that big. Haha. I'm not sure what shape that makes me (pear, hourglass?) but my W/H ratio is .72.