General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190-200?/?/130

Height: 5'5"

Default what boosts metabolism?

I just feel so tired and sluggish most of the time.. Im sure my metabolism isnt high enough. What can I do to boost it?
fighting hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

Exercise. It burns calories and it always makes me so hyper/focused after I do it. Plus, it will help with your weight loss! It will temporarily boost your metabolism.

Plan B: Coffee. It's practically 0 calories if you drink it black. Also, it boosts your metabolism (I think!) for a short amount of time due to the caffeine. Both should help.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #3  

but what if you dont have the energy for exercize even?

I cant stand the taste of coffee.. would caffiene pills work?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting hungry View Post

I cant stand the taste of coffee.. would caffiene pills work?
it's a vicious cycle. but the more you exercise, the more energy you will have. you just have to get over the first few low-energy days when you start to exercise.

try green tea for the caffeine - do you like tea?

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #5  

I dont like tea unless it has a buttload of sugar in it.. so that's not really a solution.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #6  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 160/150/130

Height: 5'5

Energy - Exercise.
With Exercise comes eating more frequently (healthy of course) to burn calories and increase metabolism.
Then as you take in these calories you burn them again by exercise!

The "Diet/Weightloss Food Chain" hahah
chubbyteenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/135

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

If you go the caffeine route you should make sure that you do not have more than 200mg a day and try to consume it all before 10 AM.
Don't eat after 9 PM and sleep at least 8 hours a night. This helps your HGH levels and your metabolism. Make sure your sleep before midnight is not disrupted.
Eat on a regular schedule, with a small snack mid-afternoon.

I thought Jillian Michaels book on this subject was really good.
Carly Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #8  

consume it before 10am? geez, Im not ussually even up that early! Im a nite owl by nature.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

Green tea. You can buy it flavored with no need to add sugar. It boosts your metabolism and gives you a little caffeine. Not as much as coffee and not that rush of a jolt that coffee gives you. I buy Lipton Citrus in individual packets. It's great.
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #10  

Exercise is the best metabolism booster. I understand the sluggish feeling and how hard it is to overcome. I have Lupus and suffer from serious fatigue...probably chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia. Start slow. Just 15 minutes a day of easy walking. After a week, increase by five. COntinue to do that until after three weeks you are walking 30 minutes a day. Then step up the speed. And seriously, the more energy you expend, the more you seem to have. I used to just drag all day long until I started water aerobics. Now an hour long workout wears me out, but engergizes me for the rest of the day. Weird, but it works.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Start with the basics to "why don't I have energy?"

Are you getting enough sleep at the right times?

Are you eating nutritiously?

If you are not giving your body the support it needs in terms of rest and fuel, no amount of exercise or caffeine will get you those things.

Do you have the afternoon slumpy time?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-06-2010 at 07:09 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Are you looking to boost your metabolism or are you looking to increase your energy? Two different things.

As far as boosting your metabolism - the rate at which we burn calories - the only proven method is to gain MUSCLE. The more muscle we have, the more calories we burn just standing still. I'm not sure what you mean though when you say that your "metabolism" isn't high enough. Everyone's metabolism is different - it is what it is. And that won't effect how you FEEL.

If you're sluggish and tired - that's another thing entirely.

The best way IMO to energize yourself, to be productive and peppy and full of vitality is to get down to a healthy weight. You will be AMAZED at what this will do for you. AMAZED. And luckily it doesn't take getting all the way down to goal to start seeing the benefits.

I'm fairly certain that within a short amount of time you will start feeling better if you eat a HEALTHY diet - adhering to a calorie allotment full of fruits, veggies, low fat proteins, whole grains - eliminate the added sugars, refined carbs, fatty foods. Discover how you should REALLY be feeling and hang on tight - because you won't believe the difference. Your energy level will soar.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 02-06-2010 at 08:27 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #13  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting hungry View Post
I have the same problem but in my experiences I have found that even a small walk helps. I might feel totally wiped out when I get back home (or finish a walking dvd).....wiped out enough to take a nap but the next day I find that I have a tiny bit of energy. The next day after that, a little more energy...providing I walk again. If I don't I feel sluggish the next day.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #14  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

I use to have the same problem maybe check out for eating energy.. Eat Clean by Tosco Reno [basics eat 6 small meals never time to be hungry always keeps enerdy going lose weight} and EXERCISE the more you do the more energy you get.....think back to a kid the things you liked to do try and incorprate those into your exercise ...dance walk box try everything until you find something you love. Netflicks is a great source to tryout exercise videos to see what you might like for CHEAP!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote