Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/219/150

Height: 5'6

Post Greetings ALL - Trying harder this time around

Hello everyone. Up until the time I was 26 yrs old I never had to workout. I am currently 40 knocking on 41 and still I am struggling with my weight. I think my ideal weight is 145 but I currently weigh 220. Over the past two weeks I have lost 5 lbs. I currently go to the gym at least 4 days a wk. My goal is to loose 2lbs per wk. I am following no set plan other than doing small portions and following a healthier eat habit. If I feel the need for a cookie I will eat it mid day. My problem is that I often stay up until 11/12. When I stay up later I tend to want to nibble. I've almost cut out all fried foods from my diet. Feeling better about working out this time around.

I welcome any and all tips/suggestions!
mrsemery03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #2  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi mrsemery!
Sounds like you're off to a great start, how smart to focus on health and not just a diet or a number - all those changes will lead to some big results - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired - you'll be a wonderful addition to any of them. Try the 40 somethings and the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

Last edited by leeway; 02-01-2010 at 06:58 PM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #3  

Welcome and good luck on your journey.

I just made this post in another thread and it seemed appropriate here also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomcards View Post
I can relate to not wanting to restrict foods, I really can't be successful with a program with very specific foods or blanket restrictions as I don't cook much, travel a lot, and in general can't follow a specific eating plan.

That said, I have been extremely happy with the process of online calorie counting (using like TheDailyPlate or FitDay). It has really opened my eyes to where I am wasting calories, that is things that are very high calories that do not bring me the corresponding eating pleasure I have a general calorie range I try to stick around, but unlike many on here, I'm not too strict about going under or over as long as it is balanced overall.

I'll always remember the first time I looked up the calorie count for my "standard" meal at Taco Bell, which is one of my favs when out and about. It was almost 1,900 calories!!!!YIKES!!! I've replaced it with something I like almost as much for around 500 calories at Taco Bell, and now I save 1,400 calories each visit. This single change alone is worth 20 lbs in a year, just from greater awareness.

I would highly recommend that you try it, remember it's a simple equation

calories in < calories out

If you only focus on the calories out (which deserves attention!) it's super easy to almost unknowingly make a corresponding increase in calories in which will make you unhappy with the results.

The food you eat (not dieting), is a huge part of the equation...most would say 70-80%, so you should do something in this space too.

Oops you weren't asking for opinions Good luck
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote