WW Clubs and Groups - #228 Bale of Turtles Keepin' On!!!!

Itryharder
02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
:carrot: :welcome3: We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration, we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on by using the skills and techniques we have learned from experience to keep us on track. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)

Itryharder
02-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi Turtles,
I started a new thread because the last one I started I numbered incorrectly and couldn't edit the number out. Sorry for the confusion. Keep posting here. This cold weather is tough, but I know we can eat wisely and keep on going. :bravo: and :cheer: to us all!
Judy

Itryharder
02-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Turtles,
I read the plateau booklet this week, did what it sadi, and lost 2.6# this week. I am thrilled! :goodscale: This is the lowest I have been. I was this weight on December 2, 2009 and now on Feb.3, 2010 I'm there again. I plan on knocking off one+ pounds this week. I am aching to get to 189 and make real progress.
I am now down 41#. Yahoo! :bravo:

Good luck to all of us. Keep well and keep on keepin' on!
Judy
234.6/193/189 and deeper into onederland :cool:

bandit2
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi there

Judy - WOW that is great! Maybe I should re-read that as well.

I have my weigh in tonight & am hoping for maybe a tiny loss. I haven't been totally bad this week, but finding the weekends very challenging & have been having a few things I shouldn't. Keep telling myself "OK - Christmas is over"

Hope everyone else is having a great week.

bandit2
02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Morning, everyone:

I was down 1/4# at my meeting last night & will take any kind of weight loss even though would be nice for a big drop at the scales. So, this week am really going to be careful with my menu.

Hope you are all doing well!

Itryharder
02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Bandit, congrats! :goodscale: :bravo: and :cheer: You are soooooo close to breaking 190#. I hope this week goes very well!

My new goal is to reach 189# and be in that decade. I know I can do this.
Judy
234.6/193/189 and :cool: deeper into onederland

Lin S
02-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi!

WOW!! :carrot::carrot: You go, Judy!! :cheer::congrat: Your loss for the week is a real breakthrough.

:congrat: to you, too, Bandit. You're heading the right direction and that's so wonderful.

I, on the other hand, am up this week. I've been sick, which is why I haven't been posting. And our schedule last weekend didn't have time for the grocery store, so I haven't been making the best choices and I've been at home resting, so not much exercise. It's been a difficult week, but I'll move on and things will improve as I get over this stupid virus and get my life back to inormal. I'm leaving my turtle where she is on my tracker because I'm sure this is just a blip and I'll start heading back down soon.

How is everyone else? Cherry? MsMeri? Princess? And the rest of you who popped in and posted but haven't been back in a while? I hope you're all doing well.

Keep on turtlin'! :balloons:
:chef: :coffee: :comp: :write: :book2: :corn:

LaurenH
02-05-2010, 11:15 AM
GO, JUDY!!! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: You're in VFT! That is SO COOL! Sounds like I need to dig out that plateau booklet again, too.

Bandit, congrats on your loss, too! As you say, ANY loss is good.

Lin, hope you feel better soon. No fun being sick!

Things have been crazy here. My mom & stepdad moved up here last weekend (from North Carolina), so most of our spare time has been involved with helping them settle in. Unpacking, doing paperwork, helping them get organized, shopping, etc. Still lots to do. Tomorrow we're taking them to some furniture consignment places so they can replace some of the old stuff they left behind.

They're pretty overwhelmed, so we're taking on a fair amount of the work. I cannot imagine moving and starting over at the age of 76. There are plenty of things wrong with the condo, so we'll need to get to work on fixing them -- leaky plumbing, electrical stuff not up to code, appliances that don't work, etc. Heck, I'm not 76, but even I have bouts where I'm feeling overwhelmed!

Eating has been spotty. Good days, less good days. Weight is up a bit right now; I'm thinking it's mostly due to salty sushi yesterday but the candy from the day before isn't helping, either. Obviously some stress eating going on.

On the bright side, I've been sticking with my Curves workouts, and they've been great. I really work those machines and end up feeling pretty terrific. Great stress reliever.

TGIF, everyone!

bandit2
02-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi turtles:

Lin/Lauren - thanks for the congrats!

Lin - hope you are feeling better soon, and the little gain will disappear in no time.

Lauren - moving is not fun & I know can be very overwhelming at the best of times. Hang in there!

Well, it warmed up to zero today which was nice for a change. This has been a very cold winter & for the most part dry where I am. So, I shouldn't complain about the cold since we have escaped so much snow. But, when you get inside you just don't feel like going out again in these temparatues.

Anyway, weekend is here & since I don't usually work Fridays, I got in my walk this a.m. & did 34 laps which is the most I have done in one session - that is 2-1/2 miles then had a quick swim & hot-tub. So really felt great after that.

For my dinner tonight I made up a big pot of pasta sauce with lots of veggies & had that over spaghetti squash - that has turned into one of favorite dinners & pretty guilt-free for a big plate. Yummy!

I am trying to get my "6 week no gain" at Tops this week. That is really hard to do - with some socializing thrown in, gets tricky. So that is my goal this week - to be down at the scales & get that certificate.

Hope everyone else is OK & would love to hear from all you missing turtles.
If you are lurking, let us know how you are doing.

Have a great weekend & see you "lighter"

Itryharder
02-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Bandit, weigh to go on :tread: and :swim: you're doing great! That's very impressive doing that many laps. Following up your exercise with a nice tomato/veggie sauce over spaghetti squash is a sure winner. I made a huge spaghetti squash this week and still have a quarter of it left. I love the stuff. I took a shortcut and used a low point spaghetti sauce and added mushrooms to boost the veggies. Yum! I like the challenge of 6week, no gain. Good motivation. You're doing this!

Lin, sorry you had a tough week with being sick, etc. I hope you're feeling better very soon, will have a chance to get your favorite foods in the house and everything will fall back into place the way you want it! :goodvibes: You're doing great and I can't wait for you to arrive into onederland!

Lauren, :goodvibes: You're a good daughter to help your mom and step-dad so thoroughly. They're lucky to have you and your dh. Sounds like the stress is high right now, but it will pass as the condo gets brought up to snuff and your folks settle in. In the meantime Curves and :tread: :strong: are just great to keep you balanced!

I am so in :love: with this group. I read us daily and watch the posts. We all are living normal lives. Sometimes we have great joy, sometimes great pain, and mostly we're somewhere in the middle getting by and trying our best. To tackle and succeed at weight loss as we progress along our journey is amazing to me! :carrot: :dance: :dancer: I am so proud of us. We're doing great! I think of how many times I have failed in the past, how many times I've faltered over the years since I joined www.3fatchicks.com and how supportive this group has been. Thank you all for being here and continuing to post even though you're busy. Those lurking, join us. We love your input and support and can offer you help too!

Have a great weekend, everyone! It's snowing here, but we're not going to get the blizzard that DC is going to have, so I'm grateful for that.

Judy

Itryharder
02-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi Turtles,
The big snow here has started! The weathermen were on target for this one. I'm prepared with all sorts of food in the house, so now I have to watch intake and take this day as it comes.

Good luck to us all. We must all be very busy right now. :goodvibes:
Judy
My WW mtg. was cancelled today because it's not only snowy, but very icy on our roads. I'll make a WI at another meeting on Friday.
Judy

Itryharder
02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi Turtles,
Well, today is sunny. It looks like the snow has stopped for now. Yay!

Hey, I'm sure you've all done this, but I just took my measurements again since I feel thinner. What a nice surprise! Since I've started I've lost several inches from my top, waist, and hips. For once my hips are smaller than my top. Whew! How did that happen? I've still got a huge pooch and I'll deal with that as I get thinner, but seeing the tape measure go down is a very good thing. My waist is finally smaller than 40". It just takes keepin' on and letting the fat go over time.

I know you're all busy, but I'm sending :goodvibes: and :carrot: for whatever you're facing right now. Good luck to us all!

Judy
234.6/193/189 and deeper into onederland :cool: I can't wait to say goodbye to the 190's forever!

bandit2
02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Morning, turtles:

Judy - thats great with the measurements, good for you!

I was down 1.5# at my meeting last night & got my "6 week no gain" certificate which made me very happy. As I said, that is hard to not have any kind of gain in 6 weeks.

Walked lots the past week & have had some social outtings as well.
Tonight have a Yuk Yuk thing with my ladies group - so will be having some pub grub for dinner - always a challenge. Last time we went I had nachos so maybe this time I will have chicken wings. But it won't be very point friendly, so will have to be extra good over the weekend to knock that off.

Where is everyone?

It is sunny up here today as well. Yesterday we got abit of snow, but nothing major. This is such a different winter than usual for us, but not complaining since I haven't had to shovel snow for a change.

Have a great OP day!

Itryharder
02-11-2010, 02:00 PM
:goodscale: Bandit! Weigh to go!!!!! :bravo: and :dancer: That's a huge and wonderful weight loss. Also congrats on having the diligence to not gain an ounce over the six weeks. Really wonderful!

Yeah, I know. This site has been sooooooo quiet. I'm really glad you chimed in. Have a great ladies night and enjoy the weekend.

Dh and I are going out to run a couple of errands and we'll have a slice of pizza. I've got the points for it and it's something he likes to do. We're having fun together.

Love to all,
Judy

LaurenH
02-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Sorry for the silence there; just a lot going on with the parents, etc.

Judy, WTG on those measurements going down!! Isn't that exciting? Do your clothes fit differently now, too? Maybe it's about time to go out and get some new ones. I always find that motivating, trying on new clothes.

Bandit, good going on your great loss last week, too! Woo-hoo! How did "pub night" go with the ladies?

I'm down 2 pounds this week, finally losing the last of the Christmas fluff. Now to keep going! I keep hitting the nuts at work, which slows me down. Thank heavens for Curves; I know that has made a huge difference.

We had men's night last Friday at Curves, and DH came to work out with me. It was fun. He's majorly into fitness, so the routine wasn't difficult for him, but he said he got a good workout. I saw a few little beads of sweat there. :)

I take my blood pressure at home regularly because of a BP phobia (taking it means facing it regularly, which helps), and I've noticed that my BP has really gone down just since starting Curves, as has my pulse rate. My resting heart rate is now in the 50s! Yesterday, in fact, it was just 50. BP was 99/60. That's pretty amazing, I think, that just 6 weeks of moderate exercise would do that.

The parents are settling in, but I'm very concerned about their health, etc. More doctors' visits this week. And the stress is affecting my relationship with DH, too. It has always just been the two of us, then his mother moved nearby a few years ago, and now my parents. The changes when his mother moved near us weren't dramatic, but the dynamic is different with my folks. It's a learning curve, that's for sure.

Lin, how are you? Over your bug yet?

Have a great day, everyone.

Itryharder
02-15-2010, 05:00 PM
:bravo: to Lauren for dropping those last two pounds. Weigh to go and :goodscale: :carrot:

I think it's amazing that your BP is so low. I had no idea exercise could make that big a difference. Yay! You've got me thinking about Curves.
Gotta run, but will come back later.
Judy

Itryharder
02-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi Turtles,
Lauren, yes, I'm going to head out and try new clothes in a smaller size. My pants and skirt are all baggy. One concern is that waist still fits, so I'm not sure new lower size will work yet, but I bet I'm close and the only way to find out is to do it. Right?

I'm sending you :goodvibes: to handle the dynamics of your relationship with DH (most important) as you make time for your parents, work, Curves, and doing the right thing for yourself. You're a very smart woman and I know you can do this. That doesn't mean it will be easy. To me, it means that you can do it. :cheer: :cheers: and :love: will help you out.

I love all your good ideas. You're so valuable to us.

Lin, how are you doing? Sounds like you're really busy. Could you post your link to your blog again? That way I can read your blog when it's impossible for you to be here.

Overdid the food on Valentine's Day. Had a great food plan in the works, but deviated and then overdid! To make matters worse, I overdid yesterday too. Tough coming off the wagon and climbing back in. I'm okay today and am hoping my WI will be okay. We'll see.

Take it easy, be well and happy and keep on keepin' on!
Judy

bandit2
02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi turtles:

Lauren - great job on the weight loss! Keep it up!
Pubnight was lots of laughs being a Yuk Yuk thing & shared some nachos for my dinner, so not so bad.

Judy - I overdid it as well. We had a long weekend up here & more time to snack at home. Got out to 2 dances, so there was alcholol involved.
Not looking forward to my w/i tomorrow. We are having a Open House at Tops and hoping to get some new members to join.

Weather has been great for getting around - unheard for here, but not complaining about the no shovelling thing.

Cheers

Itryharder
02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey Bandit,
We're the ones getting the snow and the shoveling. LOL. Well, I'm glad you finally got a break with the snow. You deserve it!

WI was tough this morning. I was up 1.2# and I've been struggling with this same weight back and forth and back and forth. Not fun. Now my ds and his family will be with us for a few days and that's been tough for me in the past. My job is to rethink their visit, assess what will work for me, and do it!
I really want to break 190# and I need to exercise daily and keep within my points every day. I'm going to try to forget about my recent past and get on with today and make this day count.

Good luck to us all
Judy
234.6/194.2/189 and getting closer to goal! :cool:

bandit2
02-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi Judy - good luck with your family coming. It is always a challenge with company around - you just feel you should have some extra's for them & hard not to join in.

My w/i won't be nice as well. Been very busy up here socializing which equals extra food & drinks. I think I just sabotage myself - especially after a victory like I had last week with getting my 6 week no gain thing - seems after that I was more relaxed & so easy to slip into old habits.

So, my new week always starts on Thurs since I weigh in Wed evening & tomorrow back on the wagon - not letting a few days of overdoing it turn into another week & so on & gain lots back. No way - too hard to get it off.

Lets all hang in there & do our best!

Good luck, everyone!

Itryharder
02-17-2010, 03:08 PM
:bravo: :cheers: :cheer: :love: :dance: :carrot: :tread: :goodscale:
to all of us from Judy
Bandit, thanks for the good thoughts. I hope your WI is better than you think it might be, but I sure get the "sabotage" or "relaxation" bit!!
Judy

Lin S
02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi--I'm on my way to choir rehearsal, so no time to do more than a quick post. I just wanted you to know I'm reading and will write a longer post tomorrow.

bandit2
02-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi turtles:

Well, my weigh in was worse than I expected. Was up 1.75#
So extra food outtings + drinks + no walks in 4 days = scale to be up.
No surprise, really. But, my new week starts today & thats it for the overdoing it. And no excuse with the socializing - that is part of life and have to learn how to adjust the rest of my day when I know I am going out.

Tonight checking out a new dance with a Tops friend & Saturday have a hockey dance with dinner beforehand. So, just have to behave myself.

Yesterday we had blowing snow & drive home was slippery. Seen 1 van & 2 cars in the ditch along the way & that always makes me nervous. BUt just took my time & was careful. But, still no shovelling!

Have a good one!

Itryharder
02-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Bandit, I like your attitude. Ugh, it's miserable to eat a bit more, exercise a bit less and gain weight. Not fun. All I know is that you and I are probably quite alike and need to find the perfect fit for socializing and losing weight. You've lost a lot so far and I know this week will be a good one for you.
Lifestyle is tricky------but I know we can do this.
Judy

Lin S
02-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi,

Lauren, congrats on keeping up with the Curves workout. I'm sure that's helping you a lot. :) Congratulations on dropping the last of the Christmas fluff. Way to go!

:hug:, Bandit. And congratulations. That 6-weeks without a gain is worth celebrating. I'm sorry you ended up gaining the next week. I'm sure you can do it again, though. :D (The 6-weeks, not the gain. :lol: )

Judy, good luck to you this week. Good luck with staying within points and getting in more exercise.

BTW-the link to my blog is posted in my signature. I hadn't posted for almost a month, but posted two posts today.

I have been having a really hard time since the week I was sick. And I've been super busy and had no time to post. Not posting seems to make things worse because I lose that accountability. I haven't been recording my points the past few days, either. I haven't been eating anything and everything, but I have been eating more than I was and exercising less, due to working at home more. I'm sure it will all show up on the scale, but I do have a plan.

Starting tomorrow, my weigh in day, and when WW starts my week, I'm going to do a week of filling foods. That really helped me with control when I did that the last time because I had to pay attention more to portion size and when I felt full than I do when I count points.

The other part of my plan is to go for a walk or do some other exercise on the days I don't take the train downtown.

LaurenH
02-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Count me among the turtles who would rather not weigh in this week! For some reason (stress, most likely), I've really gotten into the peanuts at work. They're in their shells, so that slows me down a little -- but not much! I seem to be wildly craving salt. I know TOM looms, so that's a contributor.

Also, yesterday DH and I went out for a belated Valentine's dinner at a very nice restaurant. I had steak and wine and other things, all marvelous, and all far more than I usually eat. Pants feel a tad tight today!

Heading to Curves tonight, then over to my parents for more housekeeping. (Pop stepped on his CPAP machine mask so I picked up a new one for him -- $450! Boy, I hope insurance will cover it!) My parents got lost yesterday, trying to drive home from the oncology appointment at a local hospital. I was getting my hair done and didn't get their frantic phone call. It took them a couple of hours to get home (should've taken 30 minutes). Mom was completely fried. They had a map, but neither of them could figure it out. I feel so bad for them. Boy, it's hard to see your parents grow old, isn't it?

Anyway.

Judy, I hear you about playing with those same pounds, dealing with family visiting, etc. I wish there were some magic bullet, but there just isn't. We'll persevere and move forward! Just think spring. More body parts exposed. We can do this!

Bandit, isn't it interesting how it seems to be our social lives that present the biggest obstacle to weight loss? So much of our social interaction revolves around food and/or alcohol. I'm impressed at how much you manage to do in spite of the socializing; I'd be enormous!!

Lin, do you think that approaching onederland might also be affecting your progress right now? I know that it has a couple of times in the past. Maybe you just start to get more content at this weight?

This is going to sound quite silly, I realize, but I did face an obstacle when I moved into onederland -- I was so used to seeing the last two numbers on the scale be something low (10, 05, 02 ...) that I was appalled at the idea of seeing them become 99, 95, etc. Isn't that stupid?? The FIRST number went down from a 2 to a 1, but it was those pesky OTHER numbers that threw me! Amazing the mind games we play when it comes to scales.

Have a great day, everyone. Spring will come some day!

Itryharder
02-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi Turtles,
Lin, a week of filling foods will do the trick. Here we all are struggling a bit, but I love that we have plans and ideas to get us past this point. And yes, exercising at home even if you don't have your daily walks connected with work will help! :tread: :strong: I know you're gonna do what you need to do and take this step into onederland one day at a time. :cool:

Lauren,
Yeah, the socializing is weird. I love to do it, but on Valentine's Day my dh and I shelved our tasty but healthy plan for dinner for something else.
That "something else" was delicious, but it blew my mind and Monday I overate as well. That meant that Wed.'s WI was up more than I was ready to handle. Ugh. Now this is all turning around quickly. I've lost those pounds with three days of "good" eating and now I have to prepare for my ds and our grandchildren coming in for the next few days. I have some tricks up my sleeve (read a book or crochet when they want me to watch them play video games) and I've got good food planned for Sat. I can do this!!!!

Lauren, as far as your folks and their aging, it must be heartbreaking. I'm sending you :hugs: to help you through. This is a trying time for them and you and your dh. I hope they can get settled in, learn their routes better, and make a good adjustment. :goodvibes: I appreciate all your tips and encouragement about breaking 200#. You're hitting the nail on the head, not just for Lin, but for me too! Thanks. I need to break 190# and stop floating around in the low 190's# Too much up and down is getting too discouraging. By the way, yesterday didn't go as planned with dd and grandson and I did get to a dept. store anyway, but was not up to trying on pants that might not fit. I'll get "stronger" soon and give it a go.

Bandit, have a good weekend. I know you can do this! You have a lively social life which is fun, and I know we'll grasp how to handle fun and food in a way that'll get us fit! :goodscale: to us all this week.

Judy
234.6/194.2/189 and deeper into the 180's# :cool:

bandit2
02-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi turtles:

Sounds like we are in the same boat this week - and I find attitude is key here for regaining our focus & staying on track but still enjoy our outtings and being social.

Lets all: Plan ahead, exercise, drink extra water & make the best choices when faced with a challenge.

Enjoy your weekend!

CherryAutumn
02-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Sorry i haven't been around lately. It looks like everyone is struggling some but it is good to see that everyone still seems to have a positive outlook about it. I am not doing well. In fact i have gained quite a bit of weight. I am feeling really down on myself right now but trying to make some better choices.

bandit2
02-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi Cherry - nice to see you back with us. Weight loss is tough, always challenges & temptations.

Just try to do one thing each day better than the day before. Remember, baby steps. Hang in there!

Good luck, everyone

Lin S
02-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi, All,

This morning I opened my email and discovered this link in my Weight Watchers Newsletter. http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=590&sc=3010 This article has information that speaks to my problem of the moment, and it seems from reading your posts, it might help you all, too.

Lauren, that's a good thought, but I haven't even been thinking about the approaching milestone. I think part of it also might be I've gotten into a bit of a rut with my food and am wanting to eat some things I've been avoiding. I need to plan in small servings of those foods so I don't end up overeating them.

But it's mostly stress. I'm also dealing with aging, and ill, parent issues and that's the main stressor right now. Plus juggling two jobs. And trying to keep at least some of my music and social life alive. I didn't mind giving up a lot of that when I was raising kids, but I don't want to make those sacrifices for an aging, ill, cranky, demanding, abusive parent. I need the support of having that time with my friends and the relaxation of time away from work/caregiving. When I can't get a good balance in my life, my usual coping mechanism is overeating. I need to change that.

I love your tale about high numbers with a 1 in front of them. You're right, Lauren, our minds can twist in really odd directions. I also noticed your comment about spring coming. I wonder if we're all, at least in part, reacting to the drearieness of winter. I enjoyed the sunshine today, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow and the next day. I hate taking the train in the rain, but that's life.

I'm glad to see everyone popping in for support. That's what will get us past this slump and back down the road we want to be on.

Itryharder
02-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Hi Turtles,
Welcome Cherry-----don't worry about the past. Work on today one minute at a time. You can do this! Perfection can go out the door. Just think about the baby steps and do the best you can!

Very thoughtful posts, Turtles. I'd love to respond, but I've got the flu right now and have to go lie down.

Lin and Lauren, I'm sending :goodvibes: to help you handle your folks.

Bandit, here's :bravo: for keeping such a nice social life going.
So long for now Turtles. I plan to be back later in the day.
Judy
:cool:

bandit2
02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Morning, turtles:

Lin - I feel for you with all the stress you have, not fun. Aging parents to deal with, that must be very tough. THankfully, I haven't had to deal with any of that yet.

Judy - hope you are feeling better. I started sneezing like crazy yesterday & hoping not coming down with a cold. Hate those - all stuffed up & achey.
Yuck! So, get better soon.

They were calling for a big winter storm yesterday & thankfully, most of it missed us. I did abit of shovelling this a.m. before work but really didn't need to - it was melting as I was out there in my T-shirt. Truly, this winter for us has been remarkable - I don't remember a winter being as snow-free & mild as this. And poor, Florida - there are all kinds of signs here in the grocery stores saying that the fruit is frozen. We have the Olympics going on in Vancouver which is like a 4 hour plane ride from me - and that is taking up lots of our TV shows.

Congrats to the U.S. on all the medals - awesome!

Hope everyone else to coping which whatever they have to deal with at this time.

Take care!

Lin S
02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Quick post--a link to a NYT article that's really interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/health/23real.html?ref=health The question they're discussing is whether eating slowly causes you to consume fewer calories. Food for thought.

Itryharder
02-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Turtles,
We rock! Sometimes I wonder about this site and group and where I would be without it. The answer is easy: nowhere and heavier!!!! I can acknowledge that right now we're all struggling, but our attitudes and our searching for techniques and changes that will allow us to live our lives and still lose weight and become more fit keep prevailing. I never know when I come to this site what might spark another push to lose more weight. You turtles have been magnificent and I appreciate all that you post!

I'm feeling a little better---I pretty much slept Monday away and I'm not 100% at all yet. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be fine. Had my WI and a good mtg. this morning. I was careful not to breathe on anyone and had a great WI. :goodscale: this is my lowest yet 192.2# and so close to breaking 190#!!!!! (Yes, I know I had the stomach flu, and I know I didn't do anything but drink water on Monday, but for now this is what I weigh and I'm sailing with it. I KNOW I can keep this off with good eating for this WW week)
This is long-time virgin weight territory for me again and I'm so happy! I checked my chart that I keep online w/ WW's and May was the turnaround for me. That's when I started losing weight for real and I am bound and determined to go the rest of the way!!!!

Cherry, give yourself the opportunity to eat less and move more. Losing weight does wonders for your psyche!!!!!! Here's :goodvibes: to keep you going. The past doesn't exist anymore. Right now it's today that counts.

Lin and Lauren, you both are dealing with aging parents. I'm sending :love: and :grouphug: to help you cope. God Bless!

Bandit, do you have TOPS tonight? Good luck at your WI.

I made a yummy turkey soup and put some whole wheat couscous in it.
I am also relying on Vita Tops---deep chocolate--for a one point fiber filled chocolate fix. DH stocked the house with food since I couldn't get out and that's a very good thing since we're facing another snowstorm over the next few days!!!!!

Okay, love to you all. Be well and happy and keep on keepin' on!
Judy
234.6/192.2/189 and deeper into the 180's :cool: (I feel that when I hit 160# I'll feel like I'm at a normal weight. I'm 5'4" and can carry that much weight. I'll worry about my "goal weight" for WW's when I get closer, but I feel optimistic today)

LaurenH
02-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Judy, glad you're on the mend -- the flu is no fun. It has been going through our office like a mighty wind lately. Take care of yourself and rest up! Congrats on that lower number, even if it was caused by undereating when you were sick. I know you'll see it again "for real" soon, so don't lose heart if you gain a bit back this week. I never keep off "sick" weight losses initially, but the "real" weight will come off soon!

Bandit, we're paying crazy prices for citrus fruit because of the weather in Florida. Our winter has been milder, too; not nearly as much snow as some of the folks down South have been having. Although lately we've had our share and then some!

Lin, I hear you on the aging parents. Fortunately, none of mine are abusive; that would be very difficult indeed. I suspect my overeating of late is also linked to the same stresses, and I need to find a better way to deal with them, too.

Cherry, good to see you!

The scales are up and pants are tight again, thanks to the stress eating (mostly nuts, but they do add up). So this morning, I remembered what usually helps me -- focusing on the positives of losing weight. I made myself remember the excitement of losing weight, feeling clothes get looser, having more energy. I don't know why I let myself lose sight of all that sometimes! Anyway, it is really helping today. People brought in the dreaded Girl Scout thin mints, and I've managed to keep away from them without a problem. Yesterday it would've been another story.

I do so much better when I focus on the positives than on the negatives or the "what can I eat"s, the struggle. When I keep my eye on the prize, the rest seems to just flow almost effortlessly.

Have a great day, everyone.

Itryharder
02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Lauren, I love the idea of focusing on the prize! Very smart.

Also big thanks about the warning of GS cookies. Ican't have them in the house. Cookies and crackers are my biggest trigger foods. Last year I bought some and had the Scout send them directly to the troops in Iraq.
The kids got the benefit of the order, the troops got goodies they'll love, and I didn't have to look at the boxes of cookies and hear them calling me day and night. Worked for me!
I just checked my chart on WW's online e-tools and see that since early May I have lost 25#. I am very proud of my weight loss. I am setting a challenge to be 35# down this year so that by April I will have met that goal. :bravo: and :cheer:
Good luck to us all.
Judy
234.6/192.2/189 :cool:

LaurenH
02-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Wow, Judy, that is OUTSTANDING!! :carrot: I am SO impressed! 25 pounds is fantastic! You're really inspiring me here. I want to be able to say the same thing next fall or winter.

Way to go! :broc:

bandit2
02-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Morning, turtles:

Judy - WOW, awesome weight loss. Again, what are you doing for such great results? Every once in awhile I try something else only to lose a few pounds then gain them back. I find counting my points works best for me, but still with all the new diets coming & going am tempted to change things up. That is why I keep losing/gaining the same pounds over & over.
By this time, we all know what works for us & we should just stick to it.

Stayed the same at my w/i last night & that is frustrating, so really have to rethink some of my "extras". Last week I had chicken wings 3 times - so that wasn't good.

ANyway, have a great day - calling for a storm today & hoping most of it misses us.

Take care!

Itryharder
02-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi Turtles,
Bandit asked me what I'm doing to actually lose weight. I checked my chart and here's what I found. My sister also helped to point this out. What I've been doing is pretty much losing a small chunk of weight and then maintaining that loss over a couple of months. The good news is that I have not been losing and then gaining a lot. I'll spend several weeks kind of balancing my new weight loss by gaining a smidge and losing a smidge. Now, I would never recommend this to anyone, but over the course of ten months, I am very pleased with my results.

So, to prove what I mean, back on Nov. 11th I weighed 193.4# and on Feb.24th I weighed in at 192.2# So, for all of December, January, and most of Feb. I fooled around with a four pound up and down loss, but I never went higher than the 4#. My leader suggested I check out the plateau books which I did and they were helpful. Mostly they suggest in a kindly manner that when we hit plateaus we have lost some of our motivation. That was true with me and so I tightened up with myself. I weighed my chicken servings and when it was time to go to bed, I didn't have the peanut butter tablespoon I had allowed myself previously. I also had to stop keeping nuts in the house (Lauren, sound familiar?) because they are a trigger food for me------and I simply eat too many of them.
So, I exercised a bit more regularly. I made sure I ate the right number of veggies/fruits and I tracked my points carefully. I switched from the e-tools to actual writing down my food and that was a good switch for me for now. (My most successful friend at WW's, Grace, who has lost over 230# always switches things up. Right now she's on a veggie kick and it's doing wonders for her shape.)
Finally, when I'd get down to the last 4 or so points at night and get nervous, I'd write down all the things I could choose from. That settled me down a bit (I have to acknowledge that I have an anxiety about food--God knows where that came from). For example, next to 4 points, I'd write popcorn, orange, Vita Top, 1 point bread, apple, etc. and see that there was plenty of food to choose from-------however there wasn't room for peanut butter out of the jar or handsful of nuts.

Does that help at all? As far as the wings: I would count them in before I started eating for the day. I'd account for them even though I'd be eating them at night------and then plan to have eggwhites on one-point bread for breakfast, a huge salad with 2 ounces Boar's head turkey (one point) for lunch------or maybe a Boca burger on one-point bread and loads of salad. I'd be as creative as possible. Also, I've always got low sodium soup, homemade, in my fridge and with this weather, that's working for me too.
I don't consider myself especially successful. This journey is taking me down many side roads, but I hope this can spark something for you. If none of this sounds reasonable, and since you're so sociable----especially on weekends, would you consider starting your points at night, going through the next day and doing your adjusting around lunch and making a smaller point afternoon snack for yourself to keep your points tight? Then by dinner you start your points over again. I've never done that but I've read about a few people finding that to be successful.

:bravo: to us all :cheers: and :cheer: and :goodscale: We've all lost plenty of weight (Cherry, I'm counting you in on this because I know the weight will start to drop soon) and we're doing great. Now we can all work on tweaking what we're doing and keep on keepin' on. Anybody else have good ideas? :idea:
Lin, loved the WW link. I read that myself and felt it was an article that helped a lot.
Bandit, one more idea: do you drink a lot of Diet Coke? Some people are finding that that one item can slow up their weight loss. Just a thought

Love,
Judy

CherryAutumn
02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging comments. I am giving it another try and i am going to try to write everything down. My main problem is not to give up before i even get started.:^:

Itryharder
02-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Cherry,
You can do this!!!!! :bravo: Tracking will get you where you want to be.
Judy
234.6/192.2/189 and deeper into the 180's :cool:

Itryharder
03-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Turtles,
I'm working really hard to ditch this weight. My dd's :hb: worked out well. That was Sat., on Sunday I ate well and today I am quite a bit under points as I go into the evening. I'm hoping for a :goodscale: on Wednesday.
How is everyone doing? How was the weekend? :cheers:
Judy
234.6/192.2/189 and deeper into the 180's :cool:

bandit2
03-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi Judy - thank you for all the helpful information. I have done the tracking starting at dinner the night before & that actually works very well from the socialzing end of things. You are accountable right up front - so thanks for reminding me of that. I do drink Diet Coke, but not every day but some weekends I will have a few (especially with my chips or popcorn) so double whammy there.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Itryharder
03-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Turtles,
Am having a good day. WI is tomorrow and I hope it's good.
How's everyone doing?
Judy
234.6/192.2/189 and deeper into 180's :cool:

Itryharder
03-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm disappointed. I'm up .2# today, but was expecting to lose a pound. Ugh. I did great this week, so I'm thinking salty foods were the culprit. I'll keep going and hope to have a great :goodscale: next week.
Judy
234.6/192.4/189 :cool:

bandit2
03-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Morning, turtles:

Judy - you are doing great. Just a little blip in the process - will be gone before your know it. But, I know how it feels to expect a loss & then see a gain especially when you've been working the plan. Some weeks, I can't believe when I have gained & then theres the other weeks when I should have been way up & then was up just abit. I guess it all evens out in the end. But, keep up the good work & success will follow.

For me, I stayed the same this week & was happy with not being up.
I couldn't exercise the last week, since I hurt my knee. But am going to center tonight for a walk (will be slower than usual) and a hot-tub.
Even if it is "baby slow steps" I need to get back in my routine.

Hope everyone else is having a great OP week!

Weather up here has been great for this time of year. Basically, no snow this winter & it is nice and sunny today & they are calling for warmer temperatures in the next few days. So, can't complain about the weather.
Unbelievably that I only needed my driveway to be shovelled once this winter.
Unreal!!

Have a great day, turtles & hope everyone comes back soon to post.

Itryharder
03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Bandit and Turtles,
I know the other turtles have a lot on their plate (relationships and stress, not food) right now, so we'll just have to keep each others spirits up until the others can post.
Good for you for not gaining this week. I hope your leg feels better.
We've been getting the snow you've been missing and I think that 's a very good thing for you Canadians for the winter----it gave you a break!

Yesterday was tough and so was the rest of Wed., I'm up two pounds of anguish------silly, but I was sooooo disappointed. The two pounds will go away if I keep my head on straight. I'm doing better today and think I can get in the groove.
Take care, have a great weekend and chime in when you can.
Judy
234.6/192.4/189 and lower :cool:

Lin S
03-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi, Everyone,

It's great to catch up with you all.

Judy, you are such an inspiration. I love the way you analyzed your pattern and see that, even if it's not seemed successful in the short term, overall, you're getting to your goal. That's what turtlin' is all about. Great going! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Our GS area does something way cool if you want to help the Girl Scouts but don't want cookies in the house. You simply mark that you want to donate them to retirement communities or whoever they have made arrangements with, pay your money, and they deliver the cookies to the recipients of your donation. That's a win-win for us.

Cherry, it's great to have you back posting. Posting is one of the most important things for me, since I don't go to meetings. More on that later. Good luck to you in making progress. I think you can use an old cliche--Progress, not perfection, is the name of the game. I need that one, too. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Bandit, hang in there. You do know what works for you. But, like all of us, you get bored with the same old thing, so you try to make it interesting. Sometimes, though, interesting isn't in our best interests. Making it interesting is important, but has to be done in a thoughtful, well-planned way. Good luck to you this week. :hug::hug::hug:

Lauren, I hope things are going better with your parents. And with dealing with your stressful life. Keeping your eye on the prize is a great attitude. One we can all use to our advantage. Thanks for the reminder. :D

Time for me to 'fess up. I've been totally out-of-control this past couple of weeks. My weight is up to 209 and this is where that trend stops. I'm posting because I realize that posting really helps me stay on track. Not so much posting my stuff, but reading and responding to your posts. You guys always come up with things that I need to hear, too.

I've noticed that my attitude has changed. I've been in rebellious mode--bored with counting points, not wanting to do all this work, tired of nitpicking every bite and worrying about how much I'm moving today, etc. I'm feeling a bit whiny--the "it's not fair that I have to do this much work just to end up at a normal weight. Why can't I just BE normal?" "And all that jazz...", as the song goes. (I believe there's a song for every occasion and one of my choirs is singing that one, so it's on my mind.)

I've also been super stressed out at work. Yesterday I realized why. I've been trying to do my job with the Chamber Orchestra the same way I always have done, but I've added a second job on top of that. But getting the second job done is really hard because I often work extra hours for the first one that I take later as comp time. I realized that I can't keep doing that because there are only so many hours in the day. And if I just work more hours, I have to give up my regular life. I'm not going to do that. I would, if it were my life's dream, my passion, but it isn't. It's office work, necessary work that I'm good at, but not my passion. So, I'm setting a schedule for my hours, setting priorities for the work, and if it doesn't all get done, at least the most important, urgent work will. I can catch up on the rest when it's slow, and in this business, there are always slower times. Now, it's just a matter of sitting down and working out the overall schedule, and adjusting as the concert seasons change.

I haven't been tracking, deliberately. I didn't want to face the music. But I weighed myself this morning and tracked breakfast. I'm ready to start again from where I am and see a loss next week. WW lowered my points by one when I switched back from filling foods to points. Points works better for me, despite that I hate the extra work involved in figuring out the points for recipes and so on.

Eating a lot of filling foods is important for me. I lose better when I do that, but there are details in how filling foods as a plan work that don't fit my life. The bread thing. The nonfat dairy thing. And that if one ingredient in a recipe is not a filling food, the whole recipe has to count as points, plus the limit of 35 points in a week makes it really hard for me. That's especially true if I end up in restaurants. You cannot get filling foods in restaurants, not if you count it the way you're supposed to because of the fat they use to cook it. So, I just try to get a lot of green diamonds in my recipe ingredient lists or food lists.

Anyway, this week I'm counting points and activity. I'm planning to post at least every other day, if not every day.

Keep on turtlin'! :balloons:--Let's get back to partyin' with a healthy lifestyle.

Itryharder
03-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi, Lin------soooooo good to see you posting. Thanks for being so honest and rededicating yourself. Hey------when I did Core, I only counted points for the non-Core foods in a recipe-----not exactly legit, but it worked for me. Maybe that would help you. I'm getting a little more laid back with WW. Used to only count 8oz. yogurts as a milk-----well that's dopey---WW's yogurt is only 6 oz. and that's a milk as far as I'm concerned.
Good luck to us all.
Cherry, how are you doing? You know we care :love:
Lauren, how about you? How's :tread: and :strong: coming along?

Okay---I get it---today I was off track again and this is not smart. Tomorrow I will be OP and exercise and start again. Not fun but neither is being overweight. Overall I'm better than I was and I can get even better with some effort. Good luck to us all. :goodvibes: and :grouphug:
Love,
Judy
234.6/192.4/189 :cool:

CherryAutumn
03-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Lin- thanks i like that thought. Progress, not Perfection. That is definately the case here. I am still not doing well but i did get exercise yesterday and today so that is Progess.

Judy- Thanks for thinking of me. I am still here and i am going to try to do better.

Hi to Bandit, Merit, and Princess. If i forgot anyone i am sorry.

Itryharder
03-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Cherry, keep up the good work. Exercise is a wonderful thing to do! I'm so proud of you. You are doing this!

Okay Turtles,
I'm going to start a new thread. See you all at #229 Bale of Turtles Looking forward to spring!
Judy