General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Does anyone wear a nightguard for teeth grinding?

I had a dentist appointment this morning and I actually felt giddy when I left...and not just because the appointment was over! The dentist asked about my teeth grinding/clenching and asked if I ever had headaches in the morning. I do, and sometimes they're so terrible I can't do anything for at least an hour after I wake up. The pain is usually behind my eyes and I've assumed for years I had allergy/sinus headaches. I've seen doctors about the headaches before, but nothing resolved them.

This morning, the dentist said the headaches are probably from my teeth grinding so I'm getting fitted for a nightguard. I know it seems silly but if something that simple can get rid of my headaches...even the ones that aren't that bad but are still annoying, it can honestly change my life!

So does anyone else wear a nightguard? Have they reduced your headaches or anything?
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/209/150

Height: 5'6

My Husband wears them and yes his headaches did diminish. He also seems to get a better night or restfull sleep and less cranky in the a.m.

He said it took a bit to get used to, especially just the routine of remembering to wear it EVERY night.
pmteub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #3  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I don't but I was told I need to use one due to TMJ and ear/head pain.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #4  

I am hoping it will make me feel more rested as well! I don't think I'll have a problem remembering to wear it. I've been wearing retainers at night since I got my braces off over 20 years ago. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #5  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I wear a nightguard too, and I have been wearing one for 2 1/2 years now. I get a new one every 6 months or so. I wasn't having headaches or jaw pain, but I did wear down the enamel on my lower incisors from grinding before I started using nightguards.

A dentist has never been able to fit me comfortably. I actually use "The Doctor's" brand nightguard that you can buy at drug stores and custom fit at home (I love the newer advanced comfort version). You basically toss the tray into boiling water for 60 seconds, remove it into cold water for a few seconds, and then bite down, suck, and mold it up around your teeth with your fingers. If your husband finds the one he gets at the dentist unusable (such and expensive thing to be so uncomfortable), he should try fitting one himself (The Doctor's ones run me around $20 a piece).

Last edited by ars; 02-01-2010 at 07:21 PM.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Several years ago, my dentist made me one, because I was grinding my teeth in my sleep. I wore it, until I wore a large hole in it. I never had a new one made, because the first one was so expensive. I don't remember if it cost $200 or if it cost me $200 (the insurance I had at the time would have paid half).

After I wore a hole in it, I never had it replaced because I didn't have the money. I didn't realize there were affordable nightguards available over the counter, until our doctor recently reccommended one for my husband for his tmj. The doctor recommended the type that is dropped into hot water and then while the plastic is still malleable you put it in your mouth to mold it to your teeth. When I saw how similar hubby's looked to the one I paid so much for, I felt ripped off. Now I'll probably get one on our next pharmacy visit, and go back to wearing it, because it really helped me (hubby hasn't noticed a difference yet, but I tell him he definitely will in a month, at least I did).

I would not recommend having a dentist make one unless there were a really good reason that you couldn't use the customize-at-home type.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-01-2010 at 08:43 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

My boyfriend uses one when he's under stress, as this is when he tends to grind his teeth. It seems to make a real difference, but I understand him not wanting to wear it every night. He uses the Doctor's brand one as well.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 276.5/273.2/165

Height: 5'5"

I just got one made last week and I am picking it up at my dentist's office tomorrow. My dental insurance is really great and they paid for 80% of it. It is my first one.

I had no idea I was grinding my teeth at night. I had to have fillings in all of my molars because of this. I was hesitant at first to dish out the $ for it, but the dentist told me that it would protect the investment of all the work they had just performed on my molars, and plus it was worth it because I do wake up with headaches sometimes.

I can't take ibuprofren (I'm allergic) and Tylenol is so hard on your kidneys, I usually just wait for the headache to disappear in the afternoon. I hope it works!

And yes, my dentist did tell me about the ones you can buy at the store and told me the cost difference. I still opted to go through her to have it done.
AzimuthRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:01 AM   #9  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

my hubby used one of the otc boil and fit ones. it worked pretty well, but it hurt his jaw and he usually would spit it out- or even toss it across the room! - in his sleep. Also it got pretty gross after a while, though I'm sure if you're responsible and wash it and keep it clean you won't have that problem.
Weird thing is- the teeth grinding never bothers him- only me!!

i don't even know if it's really grinding that he does, he sort of makes a grinding/clicking noise along with a sucking noise. it's like some sort of deep infant trait- suckling thing. i dunno it drives me nuts though.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #10  

Since I had braces I was told I would always need to wear a retainer at night so my teeth wouldn't drift back to how they were pre-braces, so I am comfortable working with the dentist to make me one that will act as a retainer as well. I am going to use our HSA to pay for the whole thing, and hope that our dental insurance will reimburse some of the cost.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 276.5/273.2/165

Height: 5'5"

I picked up my dental appliance today. It was really comfortable and smooth. No fitting problems at all.

I wore it on my drive home - because that is when I start grinding

I am using it while I type here because I don't want to sneak in a late snack - I already brushed my teeth and am too lazy to go through the whole flossing/brushing/cleaning the night guard thingie again.
AzimuthRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #12  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

I have had 4 mouth guards made in the last 2 years. Luckily my insurance pays for them. I wore through the first 3 pretty quickly. I grind pretty bad at night it seems. I was killing my teeth, the pain as the teeth died was unbearable, makes me shudder to remember it. I got a new dentist and he made me a guard that even I can't chew through. He told me that 60 % of people grind their teeth at night.

I'm glad your new mouth guard fits so well AzimuhtRing, good to hear.
I also clean mine by using the fizzy tablets for dentures at least once a week along with using my toothbrush and tooth paste every morning on it.
AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #13  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I had a mouthguard, made by my dentist, some 15-20 years ago. I'm a clencher and only grinded at night. I gave up on the mouthguard because I would always remove it, in my sleep, at night. After many years of clicking and pain, I found some website (don't remember the site ) that showed some exercises and suggestions for TMJ. The exercises helped somewhat. But the most helpful thing I got from it was to relearn how to position my jaw. It took about 6-9 months before it became a habit for me, even while sleeping. Whenever possible I place my tongue on the roof of my mouth so that the front tip of my tongue is touching the back of my front teeth. I know it sounds crazy, but there is no way that I can clench (my biggest problem) with my tongue in that position.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote