Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #1  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Default Running in February!

Alright, ladies. Let's make this month a good one! Hopefully I'll be able to join you all sometime this month!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #2  

Wow! A new month! Thanks for kicking us off, Eve! We got another 8 inches of snow dumped on us this weekend so yesterday's run was on the treadmill. I am experimenting with intervals. Yesterday's workout was
1/2 mile - warm up (12 min/mile)
1 mile - speed intervals (sprint .1 mile, recover .1 mile, repeat)
1 mile - incline interval (.5 incline for .1 mile, 2-3 incline for .1 mile, repeat)
1/2 mile - cool down (12 min/mile)

So it was only three miles, and the whole work out only took me about 35 minutes, but was a nice way to mix it up from steady-state long slow runs. (also did a fair amount of shoveling which I think of as cardio...) I also played raquetball with a friend on Saturday which I think will be a fun way to cross-train. What do all of the rest of you do in terms of interval training in your runs? I've read about fartleks in Runner's World, so sort of playing with that idea.

Also, inspired by the strength training thread, actually went out and bought "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and am following that program on the two days a week when I lift. I started it Saturday. I need more structure to make my lifting days effective, so figured I would give this a try. I'll let you know how it goes. It's a little frustrating because as I've been more serious about my strength training the scale progress has slowed - more muscle, less fat, but same number on scale. But I know I'm getting healthier and clothes are fitting more loosely, so that is progress even if I'm not in onederland yet.
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #3  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Hi all - ran a half marathon yesterday, along with 18000 of my closest friends. It was a warm 71 and VERY humid at the 6:15 am start, but thankfully a cold front moved in during the race, bringing some breezes, cooler temperatures and a light sprinkle or two.

The Miami half marathon is a lovely course, with views of ocean, cruise ships, South Beach, and downtown. I ran a so-so 2:09, not a great time for me, but the best I've posted at this particular race. I don't know if it's because of the bridges (hills) or the fact that it's a crowded race, or what, but I've just never posted my best times at this event. Still, had a great time!

This is our busy racing time, and I have a couple of 5K's and my next half marathon coming right up! Have a great week ....

Last edited by MBN; 02-01-2010 at 12:40 PM.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey all,
im still here! Still not running. Starting to really miss it.... In another week and a half i get to add back 3 or 4 sessions/wk of 30 minutes, low intensity cardio (that s a run!) and lower intensity strength training. I wonder how much of my fitness ive lost so far, it at all? What about strength? What do you guys think? If you took a FULL MONTH off from running, where woul you be when you started back up again?

I havent been as compliant with the diet aspect as id like to be..... grr......but, one GOOD thing-- im starting to realize that its OK that i over ate carbs yesterday. Its not the end of the world. And im not fat today!. Thats a good things. Im finding though, that all i do is think about food and plan my food and meals and macro nutrients, and prepare food. I dont do anything else... im SICK of it!

keep running !
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242/242/180

Height: 5'8"

Started a new diet today!
Ran 2.54 miles today on the elliptical...average speed 5.5-6.0 mph. (Hoping the elliptical counts as running). It's been to cold to run outside lately, waiting for it to warm up.
jour jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #6  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

Hello everyone. Nothing new to report. Feeling a little lackluster about my running lately. I'm really losing the mental aspect lately. I run often, but rarely more than 3-4 miles, I seem to always have some reason I can't go longer. It's crap really. I need to pull myself together, it's all in my mind.

Hello to new people.

Take care to people nursing injuries. I wish you a speedy recovery
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #7  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone, I'm new here

Almost a year ago I started on the c25k but then dropped off...so tomorrow I'm going to start up again, w1d1. Wish me luck
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #8  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Good morning all, hard to believe January is over with already! But that means it's one month closer to March which, around these parts, means some decently warm days in between snow storms.

Ran 3 miles yesterday and planning a 6 miler for Saturday when I'm not racing against the sun setting after work.

salsa - good luck on restarting C25k!

Geranium - I go through those phases, too.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #9  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Lookin HOT fatpants!!!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Everyone! Fat: You look awesome! You are almost at your goal. MK: Good luck with the diet and time-off training. I'm struggling to get back on track with food after 4 days of eating practically everything that wasn't nailed down.That seems to be my MO: Restrict for 3-4 weeks and lose weight and feel greater than great and then go hog wild and feel miserable, rinse, repeat. I ran 5.5 miles on Saturday and took two days off running (still worked out) because my hip/knee hurt. Ran 3.5 miles today (Tuesday) but the knee still hurts. I'm going to Boulder Running Company to get some new shoes one day soon. Seems like that is the first course of action to take when something hurts.

Happy Tuesday!

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

FAT, omg, skinnyjeans coming! You look amazing!

I went to the gym last night, did some leg reps and wanted to go on the treadmill...but it was really crowded. >.< So, I spent 30min on a high level elliptical glaring at the people hogging my dear treadmill. lol.

And finally, my period is here...so soon the bloating/cravings will be over and I can finally focus on getting to 140 this February! I'm thinking I'm like 144-145 once again.

Edit: Just came back from the gym. Did 60+ min cardio PLUS 20 minutes of leg press + lunges/jumping..thing. I read about it. I think it's called jumping bench where you straddle a higher surface (I used a stepping board hoisted up) and jump onto it with your feet together...and back. Combined with the lunges + cardio, great workout! I ate SO much today [although healthy!] so I really needed it... No treadmill yet again. I'm trying to build up my endurance a little more since I'm having difficultly running as much I used to since I stopped.

Last edited by loquaciousjogger; 02-02-2010 at 10:06 PM.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #12  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

FatPants - you look awesome in your avatar

Well, I did it! Managed to get myself out of bed this morning and restarted c25k. Felt good, could have gone for longer but seeing as I haven't run since November, and it was cold out there, I was glad to head back inside afterwards!
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 AM   #13  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Good Morning, Everyone!

Mk- I am so glad that your recovery plan is going well. I bet you can't wait to get back to running! I no I can't! It's been a bit over a month for me...

Mile high- hope you get your knee problem figured out.

loquacious- the tredmills are always busy when I try to use them, too. It sucks!

I got my MRI taken care of yesterday and found out I'm a lot more claustrophobic than I thought I was...heh I'm one step closer to getting an appointment with the orthopedics guy! woo hoo!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #14  

Hello all,

Wanted to share my good news that I took over 90 seconds off my treadmill 5k PR yesterday: now at 32.26! Of course, this is on a treadmill with a .5 incline, so it's an ideal situation, and I'm sure a 5k on the road would be significantly slower, but still, I'm happy. A bunch more snow forecasted for here, so will be treadmilling it for a while.

Fatpants - great picture!

Eve - glad you were able to get the MRI and hopefully figure out what your situation is.

Salsa - congrats on restarting c25k! Especially in the cold!

MBN - congrats on your half-marathon. So jealous of running outdoors with temps in the 70s...!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Hey everyone.

Hope you don't mind me joining in. Last year was the first year I really got into running. I ran a several 5ks and a 10k last November.

Unfortunately after my 10k I haven't run nearly as much as I should have. So I'm getting back to it now. I'm planning to run the RnR San Antonio Half in November so it's time to get back to running and training. At least I have plenty of time till the half.

Run strong, all.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote