100 lb. Club - Do you ever manipulate the scale?

View Full Version : Do you ever manipulate the scale?

Eliana
01-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Argh, it's such a mental game! LOL!

I had a weird weigh in this morning.

Yesterday my weight was 204.0.
I got up this morning at 5:30 and weighed in at 204.0. I went back to bed.
Two hours later, I got up, went to the bathroom ;), and weighed again. I saw 203.6, but it settled at 204.0. So of course I had to get on again. :dizzy: The second time was 202.8!!! So I stepped again very gingerly...202.8.

There's a big difference between 204 and 202.8!!

I decided to go with the small number but didn't feel good about it. Then I put my jeans on and noticed I can pull them off buttoned. So now I feel better. :D

But it's such a game!!

paris81
01-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I haven't been able to do that, it seems to read what it reads. But if I were you, I'd totally go with the lower number, as you did!

I also had that pulling down pants without unbuttoning them thing happen the other day--and these were pants that were SUPER tight a few months ago, I could barely get into them. Now I need a belt. I think they're the ones I'm going to keep for the compaison and reminder.

Starfisch
01-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Yep!! I do the same thing!!

Way to go, getting the jeans off still buttoned!! :)

xMeaganx
01-30-2010, 10:12 AM
So I'm not the only one!?! Yes I manipulate the scale sometimes, feel bad about it but don't dwell because if my official weigh in comes and I'm down no harm no foul and I had an ego boost!

Congrats on the pants!

lovemyboy
01-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Congrats on the loss. Sometimes I get different numbers for whatever reason. In that case I keep stepping on the scale until I get the same number twice and then use that number.

thistoo
01-30-2010, 10:32 AM
If I wake up in the middle of the night to pee I have been known to get on the scale just for kicks. Then I go back to bed, and when I get up for real I weigh again and it's usually lower. So weird, but I'm reading the Atkins diet book right now and it says in there you lose weight in your sleep most effectively, so it makes sense.

As for pants, I spent yesterday yanking my jeans up over and over at work. :o Oops! But I am not going to complain about that particular problem!

Jo Kittibuck
01-30-2010, 10:56 AM
I played mindtricks on myself with my scale for the longest time. Would even weigh several times a day, and take the lowest number. But then I realized my scale was playing tricks on ME... the darn thing was cheap, and was off by at least 10 lbs (in the BAD direction). Now I have a new fancy digital scale, and I force myself to accept its first judgement of the day, no matter what it is.

LovebirdsFlying
01-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I guess I'll need to invest in a good, reliable scale. I can't depend on the ones at the Y. They all give me different readings.

PeanutsMom704
01-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Some people look for the same weight 3 days in a row before they count it as official. I think that's people who are closer to goal and/or trying to lose a smaller amount in the first place, but that helped me look at the daily flucuations a little bit differently. If the loss is real, then I'll keep seeing that number or lower, and if I'm higher the next day, I know it was a just a random thing, like I had a little bit more water weight, etc.

So while I do weigh daily, or close to it, at this point, it's more to see the trend rather than accepting each daily weight and feeling like I'm bouncing up and down. My scale also only does half pd increments, which at least for me, is better - I'd drive myself crazy worrying about .2 or .4 all the time!

BethC
01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes, I used to get on the scale so often I could have counted it as step aerobics... If I was down, I was happy, if it was even a little higher, I would get upset. I remember once getting on the scale while I was talking on the phone and couldn't figure out how I had gained a pound??

CLCSC145
01-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Little talked about fact: Most digital scales are programmed to revert to the last weight if it is within something like a pound of the last weigh in. It's because the scales give weights that can be so variable and they don't want you to think it's unreliable. So they make them appear really consistent when they aren't. Personally I weigh my foot alone to clear out the past weight and then get on.

Gracie789
01-30-2010, 11:54 AM
You're right about the scale being a mental game. I'm still in the weighing compulsively stage (a good day is when I only weigh myself 3-4 times, a bad day I'll weigh myself practically hourly, lol). I use the lowest number as my current weight, although it changes so much the important thing is the downward trend like PeanutsMom704 said. Plus, for me my weight loss isn't 'steady.' I tend to woosh, hover, woosh, hover, ... . Usually when I reach a new 'low' the scale will fluctuate around that number a few days (within 1-2 lbs) then woosh down. Also, while I do weigh myself daily (and consider the lowest number my weight), I have a weekly weigh-in, and that's the 'official number' I use to compare my total loss for the week...as long as those numbers go in the right direction each week I'm happy. :)

Eliana
01-30-2010, 12:09 PM
I've recently started weighing daily and was surprised to find I actually obsess LESS. I get on it whenever I feel like it. If I think about it, I weigh myself. This way I can stop thinking about it. The only weight I really accept is the morning weigh in. The other ones simply amuse me. I like getting on the scale with heavy objects in my hand. :D I'm very easily amused.

NebraskaLady
01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Heck, I used to step on the scale with both feet, then step on the scale with my left foot and hold my right foot up, get off and do the right foot. I found when I was doing this the scale was my God. For a long time, I had to have the scale put up out of sight and only get it out once a week and weigh. If I'm eating what I should and not eating what I shouldn't, the scale will go down. I have to step on once, once a week and take it that the number is right. The day to day fluctuation on the scale can cause me to eat everything that's not nailed down.

FitGirlyGirl
01-30-2010, 12:59 PM
I always get on the scale at least twice. If I get two different numbers then I get on a couple more times and use whichever number shows up the most times.

thinnerbyjuly
01-30-2010, 01:32 PM
I didn't know you could manipulate the scale. Since mine is being mean I'm going to try it just for laughs!

eclipse
01-30-2010, 01:45 PM
My scale can jump around a little in the morning - I usually get on a few times and settle on the number it settles on - if I get it a couple of times in a row, it counts. I like weighing everyday, though. Once a week was too tough on me if I happened to be retaining water or something that day. I keep a daily weight graph and a weekly graph. The daily goes up and down a bit, and the weekly tends to go straight down. But if a weigh in day says I've gained or maintained, it's a lot easier to look at the weight for that last few days and see if it's a fluke weight or water retention or something - If that happens and I'm not weighing everyday, it's too easy to get depressed about it.

BeachBreeze2010
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
This is too funny, but totally real!

I swear if I move the scale to different places in the bathroom, it weighs differently. I also weigh twice. I almost never get a different reading when I do. I bet it's like PP said, there is something in the design of the scale. That is very interesting.

I am very focused on keeping my feet at even weight distribution and that I am standing straight up and not leaning. Who knows if that matters at all. It is funny the things we do when we weigh!!

If I see a new weight, I take it ASAP! The reason is that it makes me want to do everything I can to "keep" it. However, I don't take it if it's a weight.8. Once it gets to .6, it's fair game.

Eliana
01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
This is too funny, but totally real!

I swear if I move the scale to different places in the bathroom, it weighs differently. I also weigh twice. I almost never get a different reading when I do. I bet it's like PP said, there is something in the design of the scale. That is very interesting.

I am very focused on keeping my feet at even weight distribution and that I am standing straight up and not leaning. Who knows if that matters at all. It is funny the things we do when we weigh!!

If I see a new weight, I take it ASAP! The reason is that it makes me want to do everything I can to "keep" it. However, I don't take it if it's a weight.8. Once it gets to .6, it's fair game.

I step very gingerly onto the scale. LOL! And as for the .8 stuff, I take every little ounce I get! But as you can see by my ticker, I take the decimals to heart. I haven't lost a whole pound until I've lost a whole pound as in point zero.

Jennelle
01-31-2010, 12:23 AM
When I was in the throes of my eating disorder, I would weigh myself sometimes ten times a day. I lived and died by the number on the scale. For awhile, my obsession was so bad that if I went to the doctor and had to get weighed, I would ask to weigh backwards (so I couldn't see the number) and for the nurse to not tell me my weight.

It took a really, really long time, but I'm finally at the point where I get on the scale once a week - that's it. My suggestion is to put your scales away for awhile and concentrate on just eating healthy and using non-scale victories.

Eliana
01-31-2010, 08:19 AM
When I was in the throes of my eating disorder, I would weigh myself sometimes ten times a day. I lived and died by the number on the scale. For awhile, my obsession was so bad that if I went to the doctor and had to get weighed, I would ask to weigh backwards (so I couldn't see the number) and for the nurse to not tell me my weight.

It took a really, really long time, but I'm finally at the point where I get on the scale once a week - that's it. My suggestion is to put your scales away for awhile and concentrate on just eating healthy and using non-scale victories.

That is very good advice and will help many others like you. I'm sure this will help someone out there make goal healthfully. :)

But for me, I actually obsess less when weighing daily. I'm going to obsess anyway, and this way I only obsess once a day about getting on the scale, then I get on it, then the obsession is over. It doesn't last all day and all night.

And a little update...the scale read yesterday's low number again today!! :carrot: Yeah! I've been stalled out this month, so I'm really happy to see this number. I lost 17 pounds the first month, 11 the second month and with only 10 days left I have only lost 4.2 pounds this third month. I know it's supposed to slow down, but geesh.

Starfisch
01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
I downloaded a widget to my igoogle page called the google 15. It takes a running average of your daily weight and plots a graph so you can see how your weight fluctuates, but also see the downward trend. It's pretty cool! It's free too!

JustBeckyV
01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
It all comes out in the wash if you ask me lol If you go with the lower then the next week it might be a little less for a loss. It's all the same really!

ashley08
01-31-2010, 06:37 PM
i totally understand thats what happens with my scale, the only way to know you exact weight are the doctors scales or at the scales at the gym

PeanutsMom704
01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Out of curiosity, I weighed myself multiple times today, throughout the course of the day. So far, my weight has varied by about 7 lbs, include a 4 lb shift when I didn't do anything but some basic housework, walking around the house, etc. - didn't eat or drink or pee and it still went up that much.

So I'm thinking that scales are VERY overrated! lol!

traci in training
02-01-2010, 02:37 AM
Not only do I weigh about daily and try to balance perfectly for the lowest weight, if I have a really great week I usually "save a pound". If I lose five pounds this week then often I only lose one pound next week and only losing one pound depresses me. So I save a pound - then on the low week I count a pound from the high week. Is that completely crazy or what????? But it works for me. Helps me stay positive. And I like having a pound "in the bank." Jeez. Can't believe I just admitted that!!!

LovebirdsFlying
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Possible TMI alert--I've been known to weigh myself before and after using the restroom. (Talk about embarrassing confessions!)

wfonseca3017
02-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Not only do I weigh about daily and try to balance perfectly for the lowest weight, if I have a really great week I usually "save a pound". If I lose five pounds this week then often I only lose one pound next week and only losing one pound depresses me. So I save a pound - then on the low week I count a pound from the high week. Is that completely crazy or what????? But it works for me. Helps me stay positive. And I like having a pound "in the bank." Jeez. Can't believe I just admitted that!!!

jaja Do not worry you are not the only one...I do that .
I like to see a lose every week even if it small like

Mariella
02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Possible TMI alert--I've been known to weigh myself before and after using the restroom. (Talk about embarrassing confessions!)

Yea, sort of related, I used to do this when I was going to Weight Watchers in the evenings, I would hit the rest rooms before the weigh in, every little .2 helps, LOL!~

Now, I am weighing myself at home. I do weigh daily, for now, anyway, because I need to see that I am getting results.

This initial shedding of water-bloat-excessfood-whatever is happening daily and seeing the number go down keeps me motivated to stay on plan.

But I don't get on the scale more than once per day and I don't try to manipulate. I weigh in the morning first thing, same time every day with about the same amount of clothing on. This scale I have now is a digital Taylor scale and the number I get is very stable. Sometimes the first step-on is a false reading but when that happens it shows an error code after the number fades away. So in that case of course I weigh again. But if I wiggle jiggle or weigh three times in a row, I still get the same weight. So I just do it once on and off.

Multiple weigh-ins during the day could lead to obssessive behaviors, cheating or disappointments in my case also, so I just don't do it.

One morning weigh-in and that's it for me.