Old 01-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/180/140

Height: 5'1

Default stretch marks & loose skin

I was speaking to one of the counselors at my center in reference to stretch marks. She told me to up my MSM (6 daily) b/c I was only taking 1 a day. But she said that a lot of people at the center swear by doing the following:
*ingest 6 MSM daily
*empty 8 capsules of MSM into a small container of moisturizer (thick) (my choice was palmer's cocoa butter since it "is" for stretch marks)
*stir the MSM powder into the moisturizer
*moisturize "trouble spots" @ night

She said that everyone has noticed tightening of the skin & some people even do this for their face, but of course they substitute & use a facial moisturizer. I am going to try this tonight b/c I found a new little cluster of stretch marks right on the side of my arm. I was thinking...ummm....isn't this opposite but apparently not. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?????

I will be so excited if this works!
karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #2  

That's interesting .... I know several people who have taken it in the past several years because MRC says that, and none of them saw any results.

I've take it for years for my arthritis, and have seen NO change in loose skin or stretch marks.

I'd be EXTREMELY cautious about altering any medication (removing it from the capsule) ... sounds like very bad advice to me. All products are labeled to be taken ONLY as they are produced.

Just my opinion of course, but I've heard of consultants doing lots of very sketchy things and saying things that are flat-out not true in order to sell more product. They make a commission on all of the product they sell, that's where their money is, not on your fees.

Just be careful.

You know the old saying ... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I used to frequent a stretch mark forum. MSM is definitely one of the things people swore by - but that was along with a ton of other vitamins. It definitely can't hurt though!

when you said "isn't this the opposite" what did you mean by that exactly?

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #4  

One thing I forgot to say in my reply was that a lot of skin elasticity issues and stretch mark issues have to do with your individual chemical make-up. Some people get stretch marks, some don't. Nothing I've ever had, even with three pregnancies. Some have more elasticity in their skin, some dont. Younger people tend to have skin that rebounds more readily.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmd27 View Post
That's interesting .... I know several people who have taken it in the past several years because MRC says that, and none of them saw any results.

I've take it for years for my arthritis, and have seen NO change in loose skin or stretch marks.

I'd be EXTREMELY cautious about altering any medication (removing it from the capsule) ... sounds like very bad advice to me. All products are labeled to be taken ONLY as they are produced.

Just my opinion of course, but I've heard of consultants doing lots of very sketchy things and saying things that are flat-out not true in order to sell more product. They make a commission on all of the product they sell, that's where their money is, not on your fees.

Just be careful.

You know the old saying ... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Yeah...I know what you mean! (I'm in sales myself) I am curious though...so i'm going to try it out & see what I can tell. I'll update good or bad
Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel View Post
I used to frequent a stretch mark forum. MSM is definitely one of the things people swore by - but that was along with a ton of other vitamins. It definitely can't hurt though!

when you said "isn't this the opposite" what did you mean by that exactly?

~CGH~
Well I figured, i'm losing weight why am I getting new stretch marks? But then I was researching the actual meaning of stretch marks and they can come from rapid weight loss or gain. Mind you I have not lost a ton of weight on MRC. I just joined this week & only lost 2 lbs. But prior to that due to illness I gained about 10lbs in November & lost 23 lbs. in December (due to seizure meds & illness). So then it all made more sense.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I've taken it on program and haven't had any results.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
I've taken it on program and haven't had any results.
That is good to know! Are you taking any of the other supplements?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla View Post
That is good to know! Are you taking any of the other supplements?
I started the program with All Day Weight Loss, B6, EFA, Multivitamin, liquid minerals, & Iodine.

For the past couple of months I've just been taking a multivitamin, Fatty Acid, and B6.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla View Post
Well I figured, i'm losing weight why am I getting new stretch marks?
ah...that's what I thought you meant. Actually, what happened was that you got the stretch marks when you gained the weight, and now you are seeing them because you are losing weight (your skin is less "puffy" and losing elasticity, therefore, they show up more now).

great huh! *sarcasm*

yeah, i got quite a bit on my legs after I lost 25 lb. thanks body!

~ CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel View Post
ah...that's what I thought you meant. Actually, what happened was that you got the stretch marks when you gained the weight, and now you are seeing them because you are losing weight (your skin is less "puffy" and losing elasticity, therefore, they show up more now).

great huh! *sarcasm*

yeah, i got quite a bit on my legs after I lost 25 lb. thanks body!

~ CGH~
They are our battle scars I guess.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #12  

define MSM please. I'm still not up on all of my MRC lingo. I always exfoliate and then moisturize. I think that helps too. I've noticed that when I lift weight and tone my muscles things aren't as jiggly.
NotaFatBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #13  
it's always something

I would highly recommend reading this FAQ from the Maintainers forum on weight loss, stretch marks, and loose skin:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body...skin-faqs.html
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaFatBride View Post
define MSM please. I'm still not up on all of my MRC lingo. I always exfoliate and then moisturize. I think that helps too. I've noticed that when I lift weight and tone my muscles things aren't as jiggly.
MSM are a supplement sold at MRC centers. I hope that helps. I think I am going to have to do some sort of weights. I am starting Zumba tomorrow morning (wish me luck ) for cardio. But, I have been looking to see what I am going to do for my weight work-out. BTW, congratulations on the wedding!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #15  

Thank you for posting that link. I'm sure I will subscribe to it since I have so many questions/issues with "skin/stretch marks"