Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Default You have to laugh.

I saw someone today who probably hasn't seen me since before I lost any weight, just someone peripherally connected at work. He looks at me funny and says, "Did you go on, like, a big time diet?"

You gotta feel sorry for someone who can't do any better than that
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Yeah, that's a pretty pathetic complement. I once had a woman at my own wedding say: "How did you manage to get your waist to get this small?" I actually was very thin at my wedding. Can you imagine? It is just sad when people give those kinds of underhand complements.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hey, at least they said something! Most people I see from my old fat days don't even recognize me. I've said hi to people and they nod at me and keep on walking....or the more polite ones will say, "do I know you?"

Last edited by Lori Bell; 01-28-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

LOL!!! That's funny.

I never know how to respond to those types of "compliments".

"Wow, you look so different!"

"The incredible shrinking woman!"

"You look like a skeleton!" (yes someone said that to me)

Are you supposed to respond with "Thank you"? It seems presumptuous. They aren't exactly complimenting you. lol!
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #5  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

I had someone I know walk right past me the other day at the grocery store. I said hello, she didn't respond and walked right past me. It kind of freaked me out.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/170/145

Height: 5'3

my fiance's grandmother said "i never knew you were so pretty before"...since she's old i thanked her anyway, she meant well (im hoping ;])

and his other grandmother also tried to compliment by saying " oh, brian, you'll have to watch her now. look at how pretty she's gotten!"

can't help but to laugh, give thanks, and go on haha

btw, the pic of me in the striped shirt is my default pic and olddd! but everytime i try to change it, it says its too big. i have been able to reduce the dimensions to approved size but it still wont let me. does anyone have any ideas?
chels38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

lol, aw, don't be offended that he said that!!!! he's a GUY and if he's like most guys on this planet, he doesn't know exactly what to say. but i'm sure he didn't mean it in a rude way. sometimes people's compliments come out weird. maybe if he said, "hey, you look great!" or "wow, you've lost a lot of weight," maybe he thought you'd take it the wrong way.

oh, and, i got a second opinion from my boyfriend lol... he said, "tell her not to lose sleep over it... but yeah, that was a bad choice of words."

just be glad someone noticed. =)
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Sure sounds like a compliment to me....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie2010 View Post
lol, aw, don't be offended that he said that!!!! he's a GUY and if he's like most guys on this planet, he doesn't know exactly what to say. but i'm sure he didn't mean it in a rude way. sometimes people's compliments come out weird. maybe if he said, "hey, you look great!" or "wow, you've lost a lot of weight," maybe he thought you'd take it the wrong way.

oh, and, i got a second opinion from my boyfriend lol... he said, "tell her not to lose sleep over it... but yeah, that was a bad choice of words."

just be glad someone noticed. =)
Yeah, that's why I said you have to laugh!

It's better than another man who asked if I was married, and then said don't worry, I'm sure it will happen. True story.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #10  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

I dunno it's kind of a cutesy compliment, i wouldn't take it personally.

I mean a small time diet is that stuff that "normal" size folks do, right? Like the weekend fast or week-long diet before the job interview thing... So if you lose more than like 5-15 lbs, it kind of IS a big time diet, right? ..Well a lifestyle change, but that's not quite as catchy. =)
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

Well yes, you do have to laugh I've taken people's inconsiderate remarks too seriously and it's of no use really. The most confusing thing I've heard is something along the lines of "oh no! now I have to start losing too!", so if I gain that would mean they have to start gaining too?
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Someone said to me yesterday 'I know that people have said that you were *trying* to lose weight and I think that you finally have'. I don't usually like people to comment and don't really engage in discussions about it but I wanted to shake her and scream '90lbs, 90-bleeding-pounds!'
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/145

LOL, men!
yossarianlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

I would have taken every single one of those comments as compliments...well, except for the "skeleton" one. I love it when people mention my weight loss, no matter how meat-handed the comments may sound.

I don't mince words either. I'll immediately go, "yeah, I just lost 55 lbs.!"

To be honest, I even love the situations where I run into a friend/acquaintance and I can see her looking side-long at me to check out the weight-loss but won't say anything. Hehe....I LOVE it.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30and300 View Post
I dunno it's kind of a cutesy compliment, i wouldn't take it personally.

I mean a small time diet is that stuff that "normal" size folks do, right? Like the weekend fast or week-long diet before the job interview thing... So if you lose more than like 5-15 lbs, it kind of IS a big time diet, right? ..Well a lifestyle change, but that's not quite as catchy. =)
It definitely sounds like a 'guy' compliment. They can be so clueless! I use the term 'lifestyle change' as opposed to 'diet' because that is really what it is. A diet impies temporary eating habits, whereas a lifestyle change is a permanent change. But using that term can create some confusion as well. To a friend of mine, I said something like, "Before our lifestyle change, my husband and I...." and my friend looked at me like she wanted to bolt to the door. She said, "'lifestyle change'? What do you mean?" I told her how we've changed our eating habits and are dedicated to a more active lifestyle now, and the look of relief on her face was priceless. She said, "Oh thank goodness! You don't even WANT to know what I was thinking..." Oh, people can be so funny...
Wiiki is offline   Reply With Quote