Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #1  
Gonna be skinny!

S/C/G: 240/224/140

Height: 5'5

Default Any Advice?

Ok so we got our tax return, and I have decided to buy something for home to cut down on going to the gym (with my schedule, it's not always feasible unless I want to work out with 500 sweaty military men, which...I do not.) I had first decided on an eliptical machine- burns decent calories, I can feel it in my thighs and legs, and even a bit in my tummy- however, even with the moving arm poles I feel nothing at all in my arms. *sniffles* My upper arms are terrible and at my age I feel I am doomed to flabby arms! I already have fear about my tummy- from 3 babies and my weight, I am terrified about the flabby tummy from extra skin, but my arms seem they could trim up if I really work at it.

So- they have those home gyms- that gives you different exercises for arms, legs and tummy- different resistance levels, ect. It's more like weight training though, rather than calorie burning like the eliptical. I don't care too awful much about burning more calories if I can lose the weight just as easily with weight training. I don't want to be just skinny, I want to tighten my body up too, though I don't want too much muscle or anything.

Any advice about which would be better? And if you think eliptical is the way to go, any suggestions for upper arm specific exercises?
ladypeacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have an elliptical and I love it but my caveat with ellipticals is I don't really think they make good ones unless you start getting into the $1000+ range.

I know you indicated weight training isn't calorie burning but it is!! I wouldn't recommend a home gym but I would recommend investing in some dumbbells and a ball. You can do a lot with just those 2 things.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #3  
Gonna be skinny!

S/C/G: 240/224/140

Height: 5'5

I actually found this training set at walmart that has great reviews too and was thinking about trying it. It's so much cheaper than a gym or machine.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allRe...ct_id=10737823

Any thoughts?
ladypeacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't know anything about it and I'm not sure how a rectangular ball would differ than a regular one. Resistance bands are good and I have been using some for some of my workouts. It really doesn't take much to get a good workout. Some of the best workouts require only your body weight such as pushups, lunges, squats, pullups (well which requires a pullup bar), tricep dips, etc.

Oh and Amazon has it cheaper with more reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Barrys-Bootcam...dp/B001DD2D2Q/
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I don't know anything about it and I'm not sure how a rectangular ball would differ than a regular one.
I don't know anything about this either but I would tend to think that the 'rectangular' ball may a bit easier to balance on then on the regular round one.
But that's just my layman's thinking.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote