Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #1  

Default Exercise for the disabled

I would love to know what exercises people use or can suggest for someone who is disabled.....ie me!

I know that it all depends on each person and their individual health problems, but in general for someone who is perhaps wheelchair bound or with back problems....what are your ideas?
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It really does depend on the disability. Sometimes working with a physical therapist can be one of the best things although it can be costly. I have knee issues so last year I was working with a physical therapist on some of my skeletal/muscular issues.

Having said that, I've read stories about people in wheelchairs doing the Ironman so I think there are a lot of options out there again depending on the disability. For someone who is in a wheel chair, I'd say just google 'wheelchair exercise' and you will see a bunch of options.

Swimming is an overall great exercise that many who can't do other things can do. Also deep water running may be an option for some who have control of their legs but have other issues.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

If you can get in the pool I highly suggest water aerobics. It's easy on your joints and you can really get in a good workout without hurting yourself.

My instructor says that due to the hydro static pressure just being in the water makes you work 30% harder than when you're standing on land. I don't know if that's true or not but it sounds good! And she is a beautifully fit testimony to what working out in the water can do for a body.

I've also seen dvd's that show you how to exercise from a chair.

I wish you well!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #4  

Thank you for the suggestions. I actually can't do anything in water. I am one of the few people who it actually makes worse and the real kick in the teeth is that I used to be an excellent swimmer! So I am afraid these things aren't an option.

I will try looking online for a DVD that might be suitable.
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

It's impossible to recommend anything without specifically knowing what the disability. Generally for special cases I would suggest going to a physical therapist who specializes in working with your disability.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It so much depends on your specific case, that even a doctor, physical therapist, or exercise physiologist would be irresponsible to make recommendations without seeing and talking to you face-to-face and knowing your specific medical history - so I defintitely do not feel comfortable doing so.

Back and joint problems are especially tricky, because an exercise that is perfect for someone with some joint and back problems - can be very dangerous for another.

My husband and I are perfect examples. We're both on disability for pain, mobility, and joint issues. Our symptoms appear to be very similar, but there causes are different, and our physical limitations are much different.

Hubby has degenerative joint disease, and scarring from a severe rotator cuff injury. He's allowed no weight lifting and very little weight bearing exercises. His doctor and physical therapist approved only range-of-motion exercises, some stretching, and light walking and water exercise.

The doctor approved of water exercising for him, but only in very short increments of time - because the freedom from gravity in the water feels great, but getting out of the pool is then pure torment. For hubby the time in the water has to be so short (less than 20 minutes), that he's not willing to go through all the trouble to get into the water for such a short time (and because it still feels so good in the water and so horrible the minute he gets out, it just doesn't work well for him).

While I have similar symptoms they're due to osteoarthritis, possibly rheumatoid arthritis/autoimmune joint issues, and fibromyalgia. I have less severe permanent structural damage and because of the type of damage and location, if I "over do it" there are fewer long-term consequences. Wear and tear is also less an issue for me, so my doctor says I can use pain as my guide. If I can tolerate the discomfort, I can do it.

With the fibromyalgia, rebound fatigue and pain can be a problem. So pacing myself and using common sense is important, but worst case scenario I end up with more pain and fatigue for a week or two. Whereas my husband, if he overdoes it, his consequences (pain, damage to the joint, and loss of mobility or function) can, and are likely to be permanent.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in my usual long-winded way is "talk to your doctor before you do ANYTHING." If you can get sessions with a physical therapist, that would be ideal.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-28-2010 at 06:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote