100 lb. Club - Any Runners out there?

View Full Version : Any Runners out there?

Charbar
01-27-2010, 11:13 PM
shhh.. don't tell anyone .. but I have fallen in love with running. :) My next goal is a 10 min mile. I'm currently doing 11.19 so I have a ways to go. If any of you are interested in getting started may I suggest the Nike chip - it's such a huge motivator!

What do you all like to do for exercise?

Lizzie2010
01-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I run, too! I love it. =)

ubergirl
01-27-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm new to the world of running and quickly getting passionate!

duckyyellowfeet
01-28-2010, 01:02 AM
I wish I could run. I was trying to complete the Couch to 5K program; however, I have a bad ankle and it just couldn't handle the stress of running. Maybe at a lower weight, but I've made peace with the limitations I have.

I'm a huge elliptical fan. I also like just regular old walking, but only outside.

momof5k
01-28-2010, 01:26 AM
I have recently fallen in love with running too!

Nada
01-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Me too, but an 11.19 mile is sooooo far out of reach for me. My goal is break 12, so I guess I'm really jogging..................

FitGirlyGirl
01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm another baby runner.

I'm currently working on my own flavor of couch to 5K. I was doing the normal couch to 5K in the fall and then had all kinds of issues that made me have to stop. I recently started over, but doing it my own way and I'm doing much better this way. I get on the treadmill for 60 minutes each time and I am counting the minutes that I spend running and the minutes I am jogging. Right now most of my minutes are just walking, but my plan is to increase the running and the jogging over time until I have little to no walking left. My last trip I ran 7 minutes (1 minute at a time) and jogged 6. I figure I'll get to a point where I am about half running and half jogging and then I can start moving jogging minutes over to running. I'm also working on increasing my walking pace so that it's not such a leap each time I change a walking minute to jogging or running. I'm still really slow running (5.3-5.6) and jogging (4.1-4.5), but I'll work on speed later, after I get the time in. Because I'm doing more walking than anything else my mile is really slow still. My fastest so far was 15:57. For those of you who are already more advanced runners than me, does my plan sound like a good one to become a runner?

Chabar - That nike chip sounds so cool, but I can't ask hubby to get me a whole 'nother ipod just so that I'll have the kind it works with. Maybe once I get a job...

duckyyellowfeet - you probably will have an easier time of it once you have lost some more pounds and strengthened your legs more with the elliptical. My ankle was one of the "issues" that made me stop in the fall, I have an old injury. I did elliptical and outdoor walking along with the treadmill. Then one day a couple weeks ago I felt like running so I did. It's much easier now, I'm only about 10 pounds lighter than when I gave up before, but by my BF% I've lost about 15 pounds of fat, I also strengthened my legs a lot using the elliptical. I'm not sure how bad your ankle is, so I don't know if the same thing might happen for you or not, but don't give up hope just yet :)

Amy9
01-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I have always wanted to run. Such fond memories of doing it when I was a kid. I am going to check out that couch to 5k.

matt_H
01-28-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm a runner!

My standard pace is 5.5m per hour. During my one day a week "long run" I run at 5.0 (12 minute mile).

I'd also love to run a 5K at the 10 minute mile, but I'm not there yet either. :)

traci in training
01-28-2010, 11:31 AM
I want to be a runner but right now I interval and it's really jogging more than running. I was using a treadmill but DH says I "fight the belt" and that my form wasn't good and the impact was too high. So I've started running on the indoor track at the Y and that's going much better. I try to run a lap-walk a lap but after a mile I generally end up walking two and running one. It's all good - I run more and walk less all the time. My goal for February is to run two laps, walk one lap.

daisy5819
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
i run too! I just started training for my first half marathon. I got a Garmin 405 which i love.

I love being one of those people that can walk outside on a beautiful day and go for a run!

FitGirlyGirl
01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
daisy - I like those people and want to be one, that's why I'm doing what I'm doing. I'd like to run a marathon, but that's not any time soon, just eventually.

TJFitnessDiva
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
I've been out of the loop lately but I'm a runner!! :)

cathydoe
01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
This thread makes me sad. Because I used to be a runner. There was a time in my life (for a few years) where I was physically fit and loved to run. I have many fond memories of running in the snow, the 1st time I ran a mile, the 1st time I ran 3 miles, my first pair of "good" running shoes...the list goes on.

But I also have sad memories...of going the other way and remembering the day I couldn't even run a mile. I just couldn't go any farther. I was so full of sugar, depression, and all sorts of nasty things I was putting into my body. That was in my 20's. Now that I am 49, and have damaged my body for so long (knees & feet) I don't know that I will ever be able to run. So my sadness is grief. Grief for what I have lost.

nelie
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
I have been running off and on. I'm a fair weather runner ;) Actually I really want to lose some more weight before I run again. I live where there are lots of hills!

RubyBlue
01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Yes! I am back training since December for my next 8k in March. It's been a loong time since I ran before that, but I am making progress on my mile times. I will get there again! Me and the treadmill.

I am also doing a good deal of strength and yoga for my training, what difference that makes for me this time around. It builds mental strength and confidence, so important for running.

ubergirl
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
This thread makes me sad. Because I used to be a runner. There was a time in my life (for a few years) where I was physically fit and loved to run. I have many fond memories of running in the snow, the 1st time I ran a mile, the 1st time I ran 3 miles, my first pair of "good" running shoes...the list goes on.

But I also have sad memories...of going the other way and remembering the day I couldn't even run a mile. I just couldn't go any farther. I was so full of sugar, depression, and all sorts of nasty things I was putting into my body. That was in my 20's. Now that I am 49, and have damaged my body for so long (knees & feet) I don't know that I will ever be able to run. So my sadness is grief. Grief for what I have lost.

Ok Cathydoe, chin up right now!

I'm 48 (and a half) and I could have posted what you wrote myself...

It NEVER EVER EVER occurred to me that I could run....

I was a high school and college athlete and I used to run and do all kinds of other physical stuff, but by the time I hit my mid-30s, I thought walking fast was hard.... I had a friend who started walking with me, but then she abandoned me and started running and training for a 5k. I felt so sorry for myself, because my running days were over....

The ONLY reason I thought of running AT ALL was reading about the girls at 3FC and what they were doing.

I was thinking about it last night while running on the track at the Y. What made me think I couldn't run? I CAN RUN. Not that fast, not that long, yet, but I don't feel like a fat old has been. I feel like I'm in my twenties again.

Here was the key for me. At 48 and 295, I started with swimming, and I swum six months, building up my endurance before I ever started. Swimming builds endurance but it doesn't hurt and it really helped me develop the baseline cardiovascular I needed without making every joint in my body feel like somebody had taken a hammer to it.

When I finally started running, I was shocked to find it wasn't that bad.

I was doing my own sort of modified program, and how I just started C25k on week two. Actually, I think I could have probably started with week 3.

Running kicks my butt in a good way, and since I started running 3 times a week, I've also starting losing again, after having hit a longish plateau.

So NEVER SAY NEVER my dear. I've no doubt that if I can anyone can!!!!

cathydoe
01-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks Uber...I am only saying never...okay...probably never because of my body. My knees and an ankle. But you are so true...maybe I will! You are so right...never say never! Cuz I said I would never get married again...and here I am as happy as Cinderella!

nelie
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
cathy,

I'm younger than you but I have osteoarthritis in my left knee. I also have a genetic issue with how my knees/hips are aligned that seems to aggravate my knee issues. Of course I'm only talking about myself, but my knees haven't bothered me much running as long as I wear good shoes but running sure is hard, especially on hills!

diabetic z
01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I want to be a runner but right now I interval and it's really jogging more than running. I was using a treadmill but DH says I "fight the belt" and that my form wasn't good and the impact was too high. So I've started running on the indoor track at the Y and that's going much better. I try to run a lap-walk a lap but after a mile I generally end up walking two and running one. It's all good - I run more and walk less all the time. My goal for February is to run two laps, walk one lap.

Great minds think alike. ;) I had just started doing interval training at the beginning of the year, but was then sidelined with a nasty cold. I plan to be back on the indoor track this weekend. My workouts are very similar to yours. I would start out with a brisk 1 mile walk (10 laps) to get the blood moving and loosen up. Then I would do an interval set where I would jog for a lap and then walk for a lap (5 laps jogging, 5 laps walking). I'd then take a quick break to stretch my legs and get them nice and limber. Now comes the running. :running: Interval set again, run a lap followed by walking a lap. (5 laps running, 5 laps walking). Another break to stretch out tight muscles (usually my calves). Then I go for a 1 mile jog, followed by a 1 mile walk, and end it all with some floor exercises to cool down and stretch. I'm still trying to break the 12 minute mile, but just haven't quite gotten there yet. I am so looking forward to nicer weather when I can start taking my workouts into the great outdoors.

ubergirl
01-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks Uber...I am only saying never...okay...probably never because of my body. My knees and an ankle. But you are so true...maybe I will! You are so right...never say never! Cuz I said I would never get married again...and here I am as happy as Cinderella!

Yeah, my knees suck too. I slipped on the ice about fifteen years ago, and I had a fracture that got missed. It didn't really heal right and then it threw off my hip. By last spring, I was also having chronic foot problems, probably something about my gait on that side, and the weight....

My knees still hurt when I squat and walk upstairs but I can't believe how much swimming helped me. It strengthens the muscles without putting pressure on the joints until you are strong enough that you CAN put pressure on the joints.

Honestly, nobody is more shocked or delighted than me. I was the ultimate unlikely candidate.:carrot:

(and how happy that you found love!!!)

salsa chip
01-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Last year I was over halfway through C25K but then wimped out when life got busy towards the end of the year. I'm thinking about starting it again though :)

BeachBreeze2010
01-28-2010, 04:56 PM
You can "run" on the elliptical. It's not quite the same "free" feeling, but it has pretty much the same benefits as a "real" run. When you first try it, set the elliptical on zero incline and a pretty weak resistance, balance yourself directly over the pedals (no slothing on the computer or handles!), pump your arms as you would if you were running (not holding onto the handles) and go! Your speed will be considerably faster than that even trot we tend to do on the elliptical because you aren't holding on and in more of a runnng stride. You won't aggravate your joints anymore than you would using the elliptical the normal way.

Another thought, depending on the severity of your joint problems, is that sometimes running on a softer surface helps. Ask your doctor before doing it, but if he/she gives you the green light, give it a shot. See if you can run on your high school track. The surface has that black, almost spongy layer that is known for being easier on your joints. Make sure to use the runner's stride - kind of a glide step rather than a jump-jump from foot to foot - if that makes sense? Invest in a good pair of shoes that were fitted for you and give it a try.

I only suggest these things because you seemed to really enjoy running. I have every confidence that you can build the body of your dreams without running also.

traci in training
01-29-2010, 03:01 AM
Can I just say - as someone who was never an athlete, never a runner - that running is empowering? Walking is fine. Eliptical is cool. Running is POWER. Even my slow-poor form-can only run one lap-getting passed by eight year olds-running is AMAZING! I swear your age goes down with each step you take. And it does hurt sometimes. But with time it hurts less. And your form gets better. And you go a little faster. And you feel even stronger. And pretty soon some of those years you leave behind when you run STAY behind when you stop. And I can't imagine how good it's going to be when I can run a MILE. I'll bet I won't feel a day over 30 on the day I first run a mile!

Charbar
01-31-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm so glad this thread is still going!

When I first went to the gym last April my trainer asked me.. Do you run? I just looked at him and said.. I DON'T RUN. and I was serious! HA HA.. I am now. Training for running takes lots and lots of patience! When I first started it was 90 seconds walking and 60 seconds running (at an incredible slow pace) and I felt like I was going to have a stroke.

My best advice - stick with it!

My second best advice - Plan a run in the future - say min 8 weeks away. If possible make it a low distance run. My first was the turkey trot at thanksgiving.. it was 2 miles.

More advice - DO NOT compare yourself to others. But do compare yourself with you! Only try to improve what you did. The runs I go to there are serious runners - and there are casual walkers - I consider myself somewhere in between.

Running is wonderful!!!
My next run is a 5K next Saturday - and I live in Green Bay, WI - so it will probably snow..lol.. but I'll have fun!

JustBeckyV
01-31-2010, 08:31 PM
I am a runner - more of a jogger actually lol I am slowly working up myspeed but it's really a slow process for me! I have a nike + that I use to track my runs and do the challenges at nike.

Aclai4067
01-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Another C25Ker here, unfortunately on hiatus for the past week and a half because I hurt my knee. I hope it heals soon. I miss running!

mel hughes
01-31-2010, 11:38 PM
I want to be a runner! I was watching someone run at the gym tonight, wishing I could do that..lol I know I'll get there.

momof5k
02-01-2010, 12:50 AM
I used to watch people run and wish I could do that too! I remember wishing I would WANT to do that. Does that make sense? I was in awe of what made "those people" get out of the house and push themselves that hard?

Now....I am one of those people! I would never have believed it a year ago! Now I am "that person" that goes running when it's -30 and when on holidays and .... Wow.

I guess....I am a runner! :)

FitGirlyGirl
02-01-2010, 10:23 AM
momof5k - hubby and I were discussing the want to part of it recently. He is military and forced to stay fit because of it. He has to pass a fitness test each year that includes running. He hates running. He doesn't run until it is time to get ready for the test and then he runs for a few weeks to prep, runs the test, and stops for another year. He can run a 10 minute mile, no problem. I am just a baby runner and can't even keep running for the entire mile yet. My fastest mile so far is 15:41. However, I want to run, I work on it, I go voluntarily and work on it at the gym frequently, I have plans for races in the future that are not forced on me, I just want to. So we decided that even though he is more skilled than I am (currently), I am more of a runner because I have the desire. He has the desire to sit on the couch and read a book.

Eliana
02-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I run around my ping-pong table with Wii fit. :rofl: I jogged 11 minutes this morning and was pretty proud of myself! The only problem is it's not so good on the ankles because I'm constantly rounding a corner.

salsa chip
02-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Rawr! I got my not-so-sorry backside out of the house this morning and re-started c25k. Lord it was slippery!

Loving Me
02-04-2010, 04:06 AM
I started running on the treadmill at the gym about 3 weeks ago I think.
I'm up to 2 x 1 mins runs with 1 min in between and then a 2min run at the end, 8.0km ph.
I should be increasing that now but by the end of the 2mins at the moment I feel like I'm going to die lol. Any advice anyone for extending my run somehow. I'm starting to get a bit upset with myself that I'll never be able to run longer than 2mins...

Charbar
02-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Loving Me.. you will be able to run longer. It just takes time. Have patience. I find I can run longer outside. If the weather is nice for you.. try it.
Maybe for one workout slow down your run. Instead of 5mph do 4.5... but do 2.5 mins instead of 2.
Mix it up and keep running. Trust me - you will improve if you keep working at it!

I have a 5K tomorrow... what was I thinking? a 5K in Green Bay, WI in February??? right now it's snowing outside. I'm nuts! :)

ubergirl
02-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Can I just say - as someone who was never an athlete, never a runner - that running is empowering? Walking is fine. Eliptical is cool. Running is POWER. Even my slow-poor form-can only run one lap-getting passed by eight year olds-running is AMAZING! I swear your age goes down with each step you take. And it does hurt sometimes. But with time it hurts less. And your form gets better. And you go a little faster. And you feel even stronger. And pretty soon some of those years you leave behind when you run STAY behind when you stop. And I can't imagine how good it's going to be when I can run a MILE. I'll bet I won't feel a day over 30 on the day I first run a mile!

Traci, I could have written this post myself!!

That's exactly how I feel. EXACTLY! I *was* very athletic as a young person, but it had been at least 15 years since I'd even taken a running step. I used to constantly worry about needing to run to get to one of my kids if they fell or something. I just couldn't do it.

When I run now, and I've really just barely started, a couple months of just a little running here and there, and now I'm on C25K week three, but I feel SO YOUNG. It's amazing. I've never done anything that made me feel like that-- like I've just busted through a barrier and left my old tired lumbering self behind.

And I also feel it the rest of the time, when I'm walking around, my legs and my body feel so young and strong. It's just an amazing feeling!

EveLHaelf
02-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Glad to see there are so many other runners out there! :carrot:

I graduated the Couch to 5k program and ran 2 5k's and one 2.5 mile race and am completely addicted to races! Unfortunately, after my New Year's 5k I was told to stop running by my doctor because I'm having hip pain that we are trying to figure out and fix. It's driving me crazy not being able to run and worrying about losing all of my hard earned endurance! I've had an x ray and an mri and I have an appointment with an orthopedics doc to show him the results of the x ray and mri on the 22nd so It will be almost 2 months without running....makes me sad. :(

FitGirlyGirl
02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Loving Me - I don't know that it will work for you, but it's working for me, so I'll tell you about my plan. I am working on increasing the percentage of minutes I run. I started out at 5% (3 min. out of the 60 I was on the treadmill), I'm now at 11.7% (7 min. out of 60). Using the percentages I can still do the same thing if I don't have an entire hour to spend on the treadmill. Right now if I were going to be on it for 30 min. my "rules" would mean I have to run at least 3.5 of those min. I also spend some extra minutes at a jog and I work on adding to those at the same time. Right now I jog 12.5% (7.5 out of 60 min.). My running is still done 1 minute at a time and my jogging is done 1.5 min. at a time. I alternate which one I add - one session I will add a run, the next time I add a jog. In the last few weeks I have gone from 5% of my time being non-walking to 24.2% of the time being non-walking. I'm also gradually increasing the speed of my walking to make it easier to convert it over to jogging/running.

I hope that was helpful and not too confusing.

Loving Me
02-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, it's all very helpful.
After my post I decided to have another look at the C25K program. As week 1 is 60sec runs and no more I decided to give it a go at the gym yesterday.
I ended up doing 26mins on the treadmill in total, 6mins brisk walking on different inclines to start with, then 20mins alternating 60sec running with 90sec walking, and I did it!!! So I ran for 8mins in total yesterday. I have NEVER felt such a buzz in my entire life that I can remember. I really couldn't believe that I'd actually run for 8mins total, so when I went to the gym today I really didn't think I could do it again. Well, I did, and because I lost count, I ended up doing another 60sec run so did 9mins in total!
I haven't felt this proud of myself in a very long time, if ever, so whatever it takes I'm going to keep going with the running. Looking further on in the C25K it seems very scary and impossible for me to even run 90secs several times right now, but I will do it. It may mean I have to repeat weeks, but I'll get there.

LitChick
02-05-2010, 03:54 PM

Can you elaborate on what he means by 'fight the belt'? I wonder if something similar is happening to me. I find it much easier to run outside than on the treadmill. My times on my outside runs are always better than inside.

I do love to run - well, jog, really - and have done a few 5Ks and am now in the process of training to run/walk (ideally a circuit of 5 minutes running with one minute walking) a half-marathon at the end of March. Last week part of my training included a 7-mile run/walk and I picked a particularly hilly course. Torture! This weekend I have to do 8 miles. :faint:

ubergirl
02-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the advice, it's all very helpful.
After my post I decided to have another look at the C25K program. As week 1 is 60sec runs and no more I decided to give it a go at the gym yesterday.
I ended up doing 26mins on the treadmill in total, 6mins brisk walking on different inclines to start with, then 20mins alternating 60sec running with 90sec walking, and I did it!!! So I ran for 8mins in total yesterday. I have NEVER felt such a buzz in my entire life that I can remember. I really couldn't believe that I'd actually run for 8mins total, so when I went to the gym today I really didn't think I could do it again. Well, I did, and because I lost count, I ended up doing another 60sec run so did 9mins in total!
I haven't felt this proud of myself in a very long time, if ever, so whatever it takes I'm going to keep going with the running. Looking further on in the C25K it seems very scary and impossible for me to even run 90secs several times right now, but I will do it. It may mean I have to repeat weeks, but I'll get there.

Loving me!! That is JUST SO AWESOME!!!

I was unbelievably ecstatic when I tried week one and realized I could do it...

In the beginning, I wasn't really following C25k because it was too much of a pain to track time and change the speed on my treadmill, so I changed to the indoor track at the Y and a C25K program on my ipod-- and voila.

The most incredible thing happened to me day before yesterday-- I had just completed week two and I wanted to do another week two because I was adding in an extra workout--but I accidentally set it to week three-- longer but fewer intervals. So when I got to COOL DOWN I thought I was in my last running interval, and I kept running...when I realized I'd run completed a week three day, and run even a little extra I was so elated!!!

There something about running that just really says "I'm doing this!"

JustBeckyV
02-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Charbar - I would love to hear how it goes for you. I am considering doing one next Saturday. I live in Iowa and it's not much better here lol

missjkd
02-21-2010, 08:22 AM
I always found by running one 5k or 10k a month kept me in check. However since I have gained about 30 pounds since the fall my running has basically stopped. I am motivated again and I began running this week. I plan on doing a 5k St Paddy's Day race next month. I already registered to do the 10K in the Cleveland Marathon in May. My ultimate goal is to see how will I do on that 10k because I would love to register for the Akron Marathon (of course the half) in September. Running really melts the pounds and has so many great benefits.

Loving Me
02-21-2010, 10:27 AM
I am absolutely LOVING running. I am on Week 3 of the C25K and I haven't felt better in years, if ever.
This weight loss journey is so huge for me, but the exercise, fitness, and more important running is like nothing I've ever experienced. I get such a buzz from constantly pushing myself further and further and finding out just what my body can do. I wanted to start running so that I could still exercise when we are away etc, but I've already gained so much more than that...

Charbar
02-21-2010, 11:37 PM
My 5K was COLD .. but was awesome! I took off over 5 min from my last 5K in December.
The past two days have been awesome! On Friday I finally reached a 10 min mile.. (yeah!!!) and on Saturday I did my longest run ever.... 4.25 miles... and I didn't stop to walk at all.
I loved it! Keep up with it! Running takes patience.. but is so worth it :D

Charbar
02-21-2010, 11:39 PM
I get such a buzz from constantly pushing myself further and further and finding out just what my body can do. ...

That's exactly why I do it! I can't express how much of a "high" I get from exercising. It makes everything easier.

I feel like if you are dieting and not exercising it would be like trying to drive a car with no gasoline.. sure you could push your car - but why would you?:dizzy:

Idealmuse
02-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Traci, I could have written this post myself!!

That's exactly how I feel.

I 2nd that!! I feel the same too. I was never athletic well... EVER. Learning to run at 240 was not fun but it was oh so worth it. The feeling of accomplishment is almost indescribable. There is no better feeling for someone who was 300lbs and could hardly move around, or even do the dishes without getting out of breath. Powerful. Great word. :)

I think those of us who were once 100+ have an extra special appreciation for such things.

Oh yeah and the endorphins don't hurt. :)

possiblesuccess
02-22-2010, 01:26 AM
I would love to be a runner. I have a knee injury that makes it impossible to run. Hopefully as I lose more weight I will be able to run again. I loved to run..but the damage to my knee is just to great...maybe if running didnt damage the cartilege in my knee so bad I would do it more often.

Charbar
02-23-2010, 04:47 PM
The good news.. last Friday I completed my first 10 min mile! I've been working on this for a few months. It felt soooo good! It felt awesome. So how did I celebrate? I went for a 4.5 mile run on Saturday :) (not at the same pace - but it was great!)

FitGirlyGirl
02-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Congrats Charbar! I can't wait until I can do that and celebrating with more running sounds soooo much like something I would do, lol. :yay:

ubergirl
02-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Charbar, that's terrific!!! Good for you.

Feeling kind of down on my own progress now. I'm on W5D1 of C25k. I repeated day one because I didn't feel ready to move on. Right now, I just feel like it's SO HARD. I've vowed not to move on from W5D1 until I can complete the three 5 minute runs without feeling like I'm going to die.