Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #1  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Talking Yet another reason...

A cool article in the NY Times I wanted to share, A Better Brain After Weight Lifting. Here's an excerpt:

Researchers in British Columbia randomly assigned 155 women ages 65 to 75 either to strength training with dumbbells and weight machines once or twice a week, or to a comparison group doing balance and toning exercises.

A year later, the women who did strength training had improved their performance on tests of so-called executive function by 10.9 percent to 12.6 percent, while those assigned to balance and toning exercises experienced a slight deterioration — 0.5 percent. The improvements in the strength training group included an enhanced ability to make decisions, resolve conflicts and focus on subjects without being distracted by competing stimuli.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...eight-lifting/

Cheers, lady lifters!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ija View Post
A cool article in the NY Times I wanted to share, A Better Brain After Weight Lifting. Here's an excerpt:

Researchers in British Columbia randomly assigned 155 women ages 65 to 75 either to strength training with dumbbells and weight machines once or twice a week, or to a comparison group doing balance and toning exercises.

A year later, the women who did strength training had improved their performance on tests of so-called executive function by 10.9 percent to 12.6 percent, while those assigned to balance and toning exercises experienced a slight deterioration — 0.5 percent. The improvements in the strength training group included an enhanced ability to make decisions, resolve conflicts and focus on subjects without being distracted by competing stimuli.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...eight-lifting/

Cheers, lady lifters!
I knew there was a reason that I was lifting.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I wonder if it has anything to do with confidence. My confidence soars when I weight lift and I'm better able to focus on the task at hand rather than thinking about my inequalities.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote