Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 08:19 AM   #1  

Question thinking of joining weight watchers

Hi,

I'm at my wits end...I've been trying to lose weight off and on since March, and all I've done is gain and lose the same seven pounds three pounds.

I guess I cannot do this alone, and need some more help (besides the wonderful people on this board).

I'm thinking of joining weight watchers....but I'm afraid I'll do the same thing I've always done when I've joined-lose the first two weeks, screw up the third week and quit.

Any input on how to stick to it this time? Any suggestions on best days to go?

Actually my options for meetings is limited-I work full time, and my husband works nights, (sunday-thursday)so I think I'd only be able to make a friday night meeting-not a good time, but about the only option I have. I'd rather a Monday meeting, cause then I wouldn't be tempted to mess up on weekends, oh well.

Any advice would be SO appreciated!!!

Thank You So Much!!!

Sherry
Old 08-19-2002, 11:05 AM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I did WW for about 7 weeks. I did great the first few weeks but then when I was only losing 0.4 lbs a week and paying $15 for that information I stopped going. I am still following the points plan though and it helps a lot to have that structure. I went to only one meeting and didn't think that it was for me. Maybe I would have stuck with the meetings if I'd found a different leader but I really didn't think I needed that kind of support. Mostly I needed the food plan. I think you need to look at what it is about losing weight that you are having problems with and since you have already been to WW you will know if they can help you with those problems.

I found that I lost more weight and was more likely to follow the points plan when I was going in to be weighed every week but I decided that I would rather save myself the $15 a week than hear that I'd only lose 0.2 lbs. I think that ended up being more discouraging than my scale at home saying that I'd stayed the same.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:37 AM   #3  

Well, I can tell you that I've done the same thing... many times. I go to WW, get all enthused and then fall off the wagon. WHY? Well... a number of reasons. I can tell you that what has worked for me is going to the meetings for 8 weeks, getting all the plan info (you really could get away with only going for 4 weeks) and then quitting the meetings, but following the program on my own.

For me, the meetings were just too cheesey and to be honest, most of the WW meetings I've attended are geared toward the person who need to lose a total of 19 pounds and is on their last 3.

I've found that I'm actually more successful if I follow the WW program (which really WORKS!) but don't go to the meetings. Now... with that said, let me also say that there are two more things that I need to be successful : )

1 - EXCERCISE! I was able to lose about 18 pounds without any exercise but after that, I had to start moving my booty. I hated it - I got over it, I do it now and I sometimes enjoy it.

2 - ACCOUNTABILITY! Okay, maybe for some being accountable to themselves works but for me... it doesn't. I think many people continue to go to WW every week simply to be weighed by a stranger, LOL : ) I get my "accountability" need met through my small support group (which I encourage for anyone who is on a weight loss journey) and through my web page because I feel I "need" to keep my weight updated.

Certainly, each of us has to find the forumula that is right for us and then once you find it, you must keep adjusting it as needed. If losing weight were easy.... none of us would be here : )

Old 08-19-2002, 01:21 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I belonged to WW for over a year and in that time I lost about 20 or so lbs. ALL of that was in the first few months, after that I just continued to YO-YO. A couple of months ago, I finally got tired of paying the money, and quit. When I quit getting "weighed in" I went a little off the deep end and had a big gain. I had to get a big kick in the behind, but I seem to be back on track now.

So, I guess what I am saying is YES, join, and when you screw up, KEEP GOING. Eventually you'll do good again, just because your going.

Another big thing that has kept me from gaining it all back "with interest" (I don't remember who said that, but I just love it!) like I normally do, is being a regular here. It makes all the difference in the world.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:32 PM   #5  

I, too, was uncertain of the meeting thing. I did the alternative. I joined WW online, I find that because I am on the computer so often anyway, it just makes sense to journal online as well as reaping in the success.
All of the point information is online, and you can print off the lists. I have printed the lists to keep at home, and use the online information when I am on the computer. I have been doing WW for five weeks and have lost a total of 15 pounds. I had been trying since Feb, but found that WW really gave me the boost that I needed, and I do not feel like I am dieting, but eating whatever I want in moderation.
I still weigh in every Monday morning, but I can do it at home on my own scale (which I keep correctly calabrated) and am therefore not embarrased at what the numbers say.
For me, WW has been the boost that I needed to keep going and jump back on the wagon. I would suggest giving it a try, if only to just get the information.
Closed Thread