Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 404.4/404.4/???

Height: 5'8"

Default Exercise Newbie

I started exercising yesterday for the first time in YEARS... and needless to say today I'm very sore. Then I worked out again this morning and I'm not just sore, but in actual pain. I know that's normal... but is there anything I can do to cut down on that at all, or am I just gonna have to suffer through it? lol
pinkandsparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm not an exercise expert at all, however ... I figure one little ibuprofen isn't going to hurt a thing.

Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that I can keep a proper mindset about exercise if it doesn't hurt for days on end. If a part of me still hurts, I don't work it today.
I did a really good job of my triceps one day last week and they were tender for days (outta practice ) Since then I've done things that do not include triceps.
I almost never have sore abs so when in doubt ... I do abs and cardio.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #3  

I did take some Advil. I hope it helps!

And cardio is what got me in this mess I think I'm just so heavy and so not used to doing exercise that my entire body is gonna hurt till I get used to it. There may be no way around it!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Is it your legs that are aching?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #5  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I can relate. I worked out on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday of last week. I'm not new to it, but I'd been on the sidelines for a couple of months with a sprained hip. Wednesday and Friday, I kicked up my routine into a higher gear, and I ended up so sore I was in bed all weekend. Here it is Tuesday again, we'll see what I can do.

Do you do stretching before and after your workout? I tend to forget, but shouldn't. Also, after the hard work, I reward myself with a sauna or hot tub, depending on which Y branch I've gone to that day. Failing that, I make sure I have a good hot soak in the tub when I come home.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #6  

Yeah. And my shoulders and arms from the push ups I did.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

If you're in pain, take a break for a day, do something else go for a walk but do get the blood circulating, you'll feel better for it.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #8  

Hi Pink -

Good for you for starting to work out

When I first started going back to the gym, I was HORRIBLY out of shape. I almost got winded just walking in to the gym from the parking lot, that is how bad it was. I had no idea where to start so I asked one of the trainers that are there to help people. He asked me what I like to do most, and I looked around the gym and said I liked the bikes. (I figured I could sit down and exercise, so how bad could THAT me??) So he told me to hop on, then after 10 minutes, he came over and told me to go home.

Wait!!! I said. I am not done. 10 minutes??

Yep, he said, go home. And come back tomorrow. And do it again. And again and again.

His point was - at it was well taken by me - when people first start working out again, they go to extremes (sometimes) and get so sore they never want to go back. Or they skip a day thinking, well, I will go tomorrow, and never do. So by limiting the first couple of weeks, I was only marginally sore and felt inspired to go everyday.

It may work for you, maybe not. Six years later, I am at the gym daily.

And I also echo the hot tub or sauna, AND lots of water. That will go a long way towards the aches and pains.

Good luck and good for you!!
Wavesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone!! I have been drinking a lot of water! I always have, so that hasn't been hard at all. I forgot about stretching Oops. Now I will start doing that. And I think instead of taking tomorrow off totally, I will cut the workout in half. Thank you all for your suggestions!