South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #1  
South Beacher

S/C/G: 230/211/175

Height: 5'7

Default Phase 1.5/2 Questions

Ok

So I understand I need to add one carb for a week and the next week add some fruit. I like fruit but only at certain times of the year. Now spring and summer I like it a lot more than I do at this tiem of the year. This week I have tried oatmeal three morning. No craving not hungry Feel great. I am assuming that oatmeal is good for me. I also tried one of the recommended whole wheat breads Sunday morning with some turkey bacon and eggs. I didn't crave and wasn't hungry at all. In fact didn't really want my snack that day. So, I assuming that toast is probably ok in the morning. I did have another toast that night with dinner. We had bean soup and I wanted something to dip in my soup. I ate my dinner. Next day no cravings or strange feelings.

My question is how do you start incorporating more than one serving of carbs or fruit. Do you have to eat the same carb all week to see if you have a reaction.

I would like to have toast some mornings and oatmeal some mornings. I would aslo like brown rice, pasta, or sweet potato some nights. I did southbeach in the past and could control the three items above.

Talking wiht hubby and evaluating me in the past carbs have never been that bad for me. Well let me rephrase good carbs haven't. Potato chips, mash white potatoes, and things like that are not my friends.

I think my biggest issue is sugar. I know in the past if I had one candy bar I would want two and then more. My hubby thinks fruit my give me issues. I will definatly eat it with protein or fat.

I don't want to rush things and I want to do this the right way. I just know that I need some variety. I will get bored with the same things.

I don't care about the fruit at this time of year but would like to do two carbs some days not every day. I will add the fruit back maybe starting next week.

Tammie
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Wow! It sounds like you're doing great! I added an apple first, and it's still my 1st choice for a snack (w/pb). I don't have problems with fruit. Although I vary my fruits, I still don't do watermelon or pineapple, and only rarely do I have a banana. I would suggest just trying a fruit and assess the results, just as you have with oatmeal and toast.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I added things back in very slowly and only had the same grain or fruit for the week I was adding it back in. I found out that wheat is a big trigger for me, even whole wheat, but I am fine with oatmeal and rice. I don't have problems with fruit of any kind that I've noticed.

What about apples and pears? They're fallish fruits so I tend to eat more of them in winter. We've also been on a clementine kick in our house recently.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Tammie, you are doing great so far, congratulations!

When I introduced a new food, I'd wait 3 days to see how it affected me before adding in another one. When you have your toast, always make sure you have a protein with it to help keep that satisfied feeling of fullness. Most grains don't bother me, but my problem with bread is portion control. I can usually eat fruits with no craving problems either, and I do love my apples and berries.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

I added back fruit first and at night for a snack. Blueberries are great to munch on one at a time. So far it has not seemed to bother me.

But - last night I had bread as an evening snack. Sounds weird, I know, but I wanted a grain and figured bread was a better choice for me now than crackers. And wouldn't you know it... today the scale was up a full pound for the first time since starting a month ago. Not sure it is cause and effect but it sure is suspicious. (I do know the scale will fluctuate... but this is the first full pound jump so I am just a bit suspicious.)

I think I will try steel cut oats again next week on the mornings I cycle. I am curious to see how that goes.

Seems to me if you don't want fruit you can add something else. Chicks?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #6  
South Beacher

I will add fruit. I am thinking an apple and pb sounds good. I like fruit. I like Cottages idea of three days. I don't have portion control wiht bread. I have never been a huge bread eater. When I was little my mom would order my happy meal without the bun. I don't eat sandwiches. Even when I eat mexican I toss most of the tortilla. Wish they made a whole wheat hard crunchy taco. I like those better than the soft musshy tortillas. LOL

My toast has to be pretty close to charcoal as my hubby calls it. LOL I don't do mushy bread at all. I have been none to just eat the crusty part of french or italian bread and toss the insides. LOL Pasta might be a portion control issue because I have never measured pasta. So I am sure I have always overeaten it. LOL But I will measure and make sure I am only eating one serving.

Not doing pasta this week I am going to do sp. squash this week when we have spagetti.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I am on phase 2. I added one thing back a day to test it. Yesterday was a sweet potato with my lunch. Day before were blueberries. Brown rice pasta before that. No cravings so every other day I am eating Ph1 just in case

Up next are apples (need to go to the store though). I like green ones...Summer will be hard fruit-wise for me (last year I JUST started to like watermelon and I lurve pineapple)...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #8  

Jenn- summer fruit is hard for me too! Last summer I had reached my goal weight and I am convinced part of why I gained back was that when I started creeping up I could never commit to PH1 again and cutting out fruit while it was in season. Cherries, nectarines, peaches... yum!

Tammie - I love apples and PB and eat them for dinner when I am being lazy.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #9  
South Beacher

I like certain fruits in the summer. I LOVE Cherries and never could control the portion size on those. I also like blueberries. Blueberries, greek yourgurt and some splenda. YUM YUM!!!

Karen I like the really green tart apples with some salt and or PB.

Tammie
Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #10  

The blueberries I got at Costco yesterday are actually very good! My mouth puckers at the thought of green apples. Salt on them! My girlfriend puts salt on her watermelon!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #11  
South Beacher

I like salt on watermelon too. LOL My grandpa used to grow watermelon and I remember taking hte salt to the garden and him cutting open the watermelon and just setting in the garden and eating watermelon. We used to take cucumbers out of the garden wash with the garden hose and just eat. I can't stand cucumbers now though. LOL He also grew blackberries and muskadimes(sp) We would pick and eat those as is too.

It is not a fruit but tomatoes with a bit of salt and a bit of mayo is a yummy snack too. Not a lot of mayo just bit.

LOL Remember I grew up in the South

Last edited by tammies00; 01-26-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #12  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

cherry tomatoes and salt -- my grandfather, IN THE BRONX with no grass in his back "yard," grew cherry tomatoes. Nothings ever tastes the same.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8"

I thought cherries were one of the best fruits you could eat on SB? I was looking forward to having them in the summer...
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #14  

Mmc - My problem with cherries is portion control.

And tomatoes of the vine are sooo much better than any that come from the store!
Closed Thread