100 lb. Club - What is your food item?

View Full Version : What is your food item?

jigglefree
01-25-2010, 04:44 PM
What is it you know you absolutely have to stay away from or have as a treat every blue moon in order to accomplish your goal?

For me it's potato chips. :drool::frypan::frypan: I can't eat any kind of chip because I haven't learned to control my eating of them. I'm the Lay's poster child. I can't eat just one or I will eat bags. I will incorporate them after six months of maintaining my goal because I have a window I have to stay within before crisis.

stargzr
01-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Mine is fast food. Namely mexican (anything from Del Taco/Taco Bell to an authentic place... Alberto's, etc). I can't have it... I don't think I ever will be able to have it. It's like once I eat that one order of french fries, I have to have more, or some good nachos... I just keep craving and craving them. So it's better for me not to start. :D

cathydoe
01-25-2010, 04:59 PM
For me it would be to have cake or cookies in the house. Now the funny thing is I am on the cookie diet...but those aren't cookies :) There is no way I could make a batch of cookies or bake a cake and have it here and say I'll only eat a piece or a cookie. NOPE! I know myself well enuf that those things gotta stay away from this house!!

trishn222
01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Mine is chocolate. I can enjoy just a little bit, but then I want it all the time for days after. If I stay away from it I don't miss it as much

rachael
01-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I can't have Snackwells Devils Food Cookies in the house because once I eat one, I have to eat the whole box. Most other things I can do a serving on (we've had a box of swiss cake rolls in the house since New Year's and I have had one. One cake, not one pack). The Snackwells aren't even my favorite or anything, but they cause me to compulsively eat.

Bellsybells
01-25-2010, 05:13 PM
I find bread really hard to stay away from - white, brown, sliced, tin, doesn't matter what kind. I don't know what it is, I have one slice and just want to keep going. I started keeping it in the freezer so I won't be tempted to pick at it :)

[And I just remembered there's a loaf in the bread bin and I'm going to have to go and put it in the freezer because now I really, really want some!]

rockinrobin
01-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I have a long, long, LONG list of foods that I RARELY eat and when I do eat them, I have them under very controlled settings. I had (still have though it's LOTS better) a hard time stopping to eat certain foods once I started (this chickie does not do moderation well). If I was ever going to get rid of the weight, I knew I needed to come up with a solution. And I did. DON'T START. Problem solved. I finally realized that I valued my longevity of life and my QUALITY of life too much to keep on eating those foods that did me in every time. I tried doing them in moderation and every time it led to disaster. They were no longer worth it for me.

A few things on my list of once in a while foods in controlled settings:

ice cream
cakes
cookies
heck all baked goods - ESPECIALLY HOME baked ones.
many breads
rice
pasta
pizza
chocolate
candy
crackers
most cereals

I'm sure there's others and the list may seem long to some, but I focus on the much longer, healthier and more delicious list of foods that I can and do eat "safely". The ones that have freed me up to live my best possible life. I am truly grateful for them. :)

Michelle98272
01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Jelly Bellies. Oreos. Banana Muffins. Fast food, namely the dreaded McD's fries. Chips. Beer. Chocolate chips. Pizza.

CLCSC145
01-25-2010, 05:29 PM
For me it's a whole category: greasy, salty foods. Fries, chips, cheeseburgers, pizza, onion rings, toast with salty butter, movie popcorn, crackers with cheese, most nuts, mashes potatoes.... The list is virtually endless! It all just calls to me. But it's become pretty routine for me to avoid them. And on the super rare instance when I do have them, it's a bite or a small amount, not the amount I wish I could eat. Yesterday I went to the movies with a friend and instead of getting a bag of popcorn, we got one of those kids snack boxes that has a little popcorn and a little pack of fruit snacks. Then we split it. It was all I could do not to grab the box and eat all the popcorn myself :devil:, but it was fine and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

ToriLeigh
01-25-2010, 05:40 PM
For me, it's mostly chocolate. But my other downfall is a bag of chips, box of crackers, anything you can just take with you to sit down and eat. I have learned to put the correct serving in a bowl, because if I don't, before I know it, half the box/bag/etc will be gone.

rockinrobin
01-25-2010, 05:43 PM
For me it's a whole category: greasy, salty foods. Fries, chips, cheeseburgers, pizza, onion rings, toast with salty butter, movie popcorn, crackers with cheese, most nuts, mashes potatoes.... The list is virtually endless! It all just calls to me. But it's become pretty routine for me to avoid them. And on the super rare instance when I do have them, it's a bite or a small amount, not the amount I wish I could eat. Yesterday I went to the movies with a friend and instead of getting a bag of popcorn, we got one of those kids snack boxes that has a little popcorn and a little pack of fruit snacks. Then we split it. It was all I could do not to grab the box and eat all the popcorn myself :devil:, but it was fine and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

And because if this you're down 120 lbs. A HUNDRED AND TWENTY POUNDS!!!

:dance::dance::cb::cb::dance::dance:

Sorry, I just get excited some times at what these changes bring about. :D

totsandfries
01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
My weakness Is Chips and Salsa. It's something I have once every two weeks if I go for a walk every day.

I can only eat a cup of salsa and three servings of chips.

It's not like you can only eat one chip with salsa on it.

Everything else I just ate gum to avoid eating.

Technosexual
01-25-2010, 05:59 PM
For me it's a whole category: greasy, salty foods.

This. This is my weakness! Keep it away! -Throws arms up & runs in the other direction-

Trazey34
01-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I just plain like food LOL but if i had to pick something to stay away from entirely, i guess ice cream! I thought it was chocolate, but after you get over the hump of wanting it so desperately, it passes. I know this because I have 3 count 'em, THREE, of the giant Toblerone bars in my house and one is even open LOL doesn't bother me any more yay!

club
01-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Peanut butter crispys from Kwik Trip... I try and stay away from Kwik Trip for that reason, they are always next to the check out and i can't resist buying one. Funny i just saw this thread because I just finished eating one !!! AHHHHHH, I have had it in my drawer at work for over a week now and could not resist any longer...

And I always do this to myself once I lose weight, I get to a new low and its like it freaks me out and i sabatoge myself!!

But I know I will be back on track... so its ok to have a treat now and then.

Beverlyjoy
01-25-2010, 06:05 PM
cookies, take out pizza, cake, ice cream

can only have these in the house for a one time thing - and throw out any extra

HeidiNicole
01-25-2010, 06:07 PM
I have thought about this for a long time, and I really can't pinpoint any one item or group. I just love all food in general. My biggest issue has always been portion sizes...it doesn't matter what I'm eating, whether it's cookies or carrots, I want big portions...so, if I cut out all the things I wanted too much of, it would be pretty much everything LOL. As long as items are preportioned for me, I'm good to go. I have good willpower if it isn't sitting on my plate.

I firmly believe that I got so overweight in large part because of laziness...it was waaaay easier to go to mcdonalds/wendy's/whatever than to cook. And I just didn't care enough about myself to make semi-good choices at those places. I had what I wanted when I wanted. A spoiled brat pretty much. I am 30 years old in March and I probably cooked less than 2x a month until last year. Ridiculous.

Thankfully my daughter has a natural love for fruits and veggies, so I didn't totally ruin her. One of the reasons I decided that I had to do this NOW is I don't want her to grow up with a warped view of what is normal in respect to food.

Well, I guess I veered off subject a little, but that's the jist of it :lol:

HotWings
01-25-2010, 06:13 PM
One of the only things I have found that I truly have a huge problem with is peanut butter. If I have a little, I want more and more and more. Especially at night! And it is not the regular fat peanut butter - I tried a little taste of Jif extra crunchy and it was just way too oily for me. It is the Jif Reduced Fat Crunchy. My daughter loves peanut butter, so I have decided to not buy the reduced fat and only keep the regular kind, since I am not a big fan of that one.

Jeez I am salivating just thinking about it. LOL!

cfmama
01-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Yep I'm another greasy salty food HAVE TO STAY AWAY from person. I get massive cravings if I allow myself to have these things... so I have to stay away. Every once in a while I go to the movies and have a wonderful popcorn WITH butter and then fight for 3-4 days to get the sodium off... lol!

HotWings
01-25-2010, 06:16 PM
I have thought about this for a long time, and I really can't pinpoint any one item or group. I just love all food in general. My biggest issue has always been portion sizes...it doesn't matter what I'm eating, whether it's cookies or carrots, I want big portions...so, if I cut out all the things I wanted too much of, it would be pretty much everything LOL. As long as items are preportioned for me, I'm good to go. I have good willpower if it isn't sitting on my plate.

I firmly believe that I got so overweight in large part because of laziness...it was waaaay easier to go to mcdonalds/wendy's/whatever than to cook. And I just didn't care enough about myself to make semi-good choices at those places. I had what I wanted when I wanted. A spoiled brat pretty much. I am 30 years old in March and I probably cooked less than 2x a month until last year. Ridiculous.

Thankfully my daughter has a natural love for fruits and veggies, so I didn't totally ruin her. One of the reasons I decided that I had to do this NOW is I don't want her to grow up with a warped view of what is normal in respect to food.

Well, I guess I veered off subject a little, but that's the jist of it :lol:

OMG, we could be sisters! I rarely cooked when I was single - it wasn't until DH and I got together that I started cooking. Now I cook a lot - my daughter is the same as yours!

Tai
01-25-2010, 06:21 PM
I had to eliminate both fast food and sweets. In the past few months though I've been able to enjoy a serving twice a week of either peanut m&m's or ice cream without wanting more or gaining. I know if I were to try eating fast food though it would be a whole different story!

Sskar
01-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Ice cream is such a trigger food for me that I have crossed it off my list of edibles. "a la mode" just isn't in my vocabulary any more.

I know many folks can limit the items that cause them problems, and I can do so for most things if I plan in advance. Not the case for ice cream.

Otherwise the food group that gets me is anything with highly refined sugars.
:nono:

marigrace
01-25-2010, 06:37 PM
I have learned how to be moderate with bread, ice cream, and dark chocolate, but still have crackers, cookies, chips, cakes and pastries on the way too dangerous list.

CLCSC145
01-25-2010, 06:41 PM
And because of this you're down 120 lbs. A HUNDRED AND TWENTY POUNDS!!!

:dance::dance::cb::cb::dance::dance:

Sorry, I just get excited some times at what these changes bring about. :D

Hee hee! I get excited too, Robin! Boggles my mind that, little by little, it's added up to so much over all. Shocking that it's happening to me!:dizzy:

rockinrobin
01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Hee hee! I get excited too, Robin! Boggles my mind that, little by little, it's added up to so much over all. Shocking that it's happening to me!:dizzy:

You know I'm just not gonna let this go...

Weight loss (and weight gain) for that matter just doesn't *happen* to a person. It's up to the person to indeed MAKE it happen. You've orchestrated this. You and you alone. YOU'VE made it happen. :smug:

traci in training
01-25-2010, 07:26 PM
CAKE. Homemade cake. Bakery cake. Chocolate cake. White cake. Marble cake. Carrot cake. Banana cake. Fruit cake. Fresh cake. Stale cake. Snack cake. Angel food cake. Pound cake. Frosted cake. Sponge cake. Upside down cake. CAKE!!!!!

ajowens
01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Def shrimp tempura sushi!! Oh I crave it morning day and night =(

constance21
01-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Fast Food and Donuts! :o

mandalinn82
01-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Mine is a category too - sub-par versions of things I'm craving. Odd, right?

But let's say I want a cupcake. I can go get a Hostess cupcake or some Snackwell conconction or one of those Hostess 100 cal packs. And I will eat 15 of them, because it isn't satisfying. As opposed to a single, perfect Red Velvet cupcake top with a smear of cream cheese frosting, which will satisfy me so that I do not want any more. It's the difference between Doritos and a home-made baked tortilla chip, or between a McDonald's hamburger and a homemade, quality one, or a slice of Wonder bread vs. of whole grain bread. I consider all of these things poor substitutes, and when I consume one of those poor substitutes, the craving doesn't go away.

Basically, whenever I crave something, I figure out what PARTICULARLY I am craving. Take pizza, for example - I am usually craving the cheese/sauce flavor combination. Meaning that, if I try to satisfy that craving with fat free cheese, I will eat and eat trying to be fulfilled. But if I make a super-thin whole wheat crust, top with a moderate amount of cheese and sauce, and then add lots of low-cal toppings, I satisfy my craving (cheese and sauce!) and use the lowest calorie options for everything that isn't as important. Or with the cupcake above, I'm really all about the frosting, so I just eat the cupcake top, put a smear of icing, and am satisfied.

CLCSC145
01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
You know I'm just not gonna let this go...

Weight loss (and weight gain) for that matter just doesn't *happen* to a person. It's up to the person to indeed MAKE it happen. You've orchestrated this. You and you alone. YOU'VE made it happen. :smug:

I know you're right - what I was really thinking was "shocking that I'm making it happen.... ;)" I guess I just wasn't sure I had it in me anymore to make this big of a change in my life. I'm generally not one who likes surprises, but this has been a nice one!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-25-2010, 10:44 PM
It sounds crazy, but I can eat a whole box of Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream cookies or a dozen glazed Krispy Kreme dougnuts...in one sitting. Gross, huh?

rockinrobin
01-25-2010, 11:15 PM
It sounds crazy, but I can eat a whole box of Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream cookies or a dozen glazed Krispy Kreme dougnuts...in one sitting. Gross, huh?

No, actually this doesn't sound crazy (or should I say unheard of) - to me anyway. I used to do things like that all the time back in the day. If you would have told me that I would be able to get my eating under control, now THAT'S when I'd call you crazy.

I still firmly believe the best way to not overeat these foods is to not START in the first place. Show that stupid food who's boss!!!

Matilda08
01-25-2010, 11:25 PM
I have a long, long, LONG list of foods that I RARELY eat and when I do eat them, I have them under very controlled settings. I had (still have though it's LOTS better) a hard time stopping to eat certain foods once I started (this chickie does not do moderation well). If I was ever going to get rid of the weight, I knew I needed to come up with a solution. And I did. DON'T START. Problem solved. I finally realized that I valued my longevity of life and my QUALITY of life too much to keep on eating those foods that did me in every time. I tried doing them in moderation and every time it led to disaster. They were no longer worth it for me.

A few things on my list of once in a while foods in controlled settings:

ice cream
cakes
cookies
heck all baked goods - ESPECIALLY HOME baked ones.
many breads
rice
pasta
pizza
chocolate
candy
crackers
most cereals

I'm sure there's others and the list may seem long to some, but I focus on the much longer, healthier and more delicious list of foods that I can and do eat "safely". The ones that have freed me up to live my best possible life. I am truly grateful for them. :)

Ditto lol Im somewhere along these lines!

IrishRose
01-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Oh goodness!
Ice Cream-- I'll sit down with an entire carton and most of it will be gone before I know it. So we don't keep it in the house anymore.
Also- French Onion Sunchips-- I'll mow through an entire bag
And peanutbutter--- I eat it by the spoonful (gross I know). I love it soooo much! Luckily I have found a subsitute with almond butter-- still satisfies the craving, but I know I won't over do it.
I also stay far far away from Greasy Taqueria food---- oooooh Super Burrito....

Jaimie
01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Pizza. Hands down. I have a hard time resisting eating it and when I do, I have an even harder time stopping at one or two pieces.

Crushed
01-26-2010, 12:42 AM
For me, it's all about the sweets, particularly cake.

salsa chip
01-26-2010, 01:30 AM
My weakness Is Chips and Salsa.

I know, I guess I have that effect on people ;)

ThisYear
01-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Mine is bread. Hot, fresh bread...yumm...
and Dr Pepper... if i let myself have one, then i crave it for days...

magnetism21
01-26-2010, 05:02 AM
my food favorites are sushi, greasy mexican food, anything with the word "parmigiana" at the end, CARBS, cookies, cake, CHEESE, i could eat cheese for days, ethnic foods, just good food. food = evil!!!

rockinrobin
01-26-2010, 06:29 AM
my food favorites are sushi, greasy mexican food, anything with the word "parmigiana" at the end, CARBS, cookies, cake, CHEESE, i could eat cheese for days, ethnic foods, just good food. food = evil!!!

That's just the thing, when you get rid of "these type foods", more than likely your idea of what "good" food is will change. You will realize that not ALL foods are "evil". Your tastes and ideas will change. I now only think of certain foods as "evil" - the sugar-y, flour-y, oil-y, empty carb-y ones. Now that I've discovered whole, natural, mother nature foods, I think that those are now GOOD foods and unbelievably delicious. And they are. They taste HEAVENLY and they're good FOR ME.

0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Pizza and Ice Cream. HANDS DOWN! There is no way, that i could never eat Pizza again! I'd go coo-coo!! haha. So i struggle really hard to not to order up some pizza hut or Dominos!!! Ice Cream, isn't as hard to resist........since our refrigerator is broken, and while saving for a new one, we've been using a much smaller one, and the freezer can't fit a half gallon of ice cream!!! haha, and even if it was empty, and i could put it up there, it wouldn't stay frozen too long!! haha. So, what i have to do is stop buying those single-serve ice creams at rite aid!!! haha. >_<

xoxoxo
*~ Violet ~*
<3

Nada
01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
OP, chips is it for me too. I can't eat just one........serving. And my DH always has to have cans of Pringles in the house. (I have to keep telling myself, not mine, not mine...)

There are a couple of other things on my "forbidden" list but they are just not worth the calories, like fried foods and store-bought cakes, cookies etc. But chips I can't stop with.

dragonwoman64
01-26-2010, 02:16 PM
chocolate would be number one, but like others have said, if I stop eating it altogether the craving goes way down.

bread (bagels, yeow, and there are about 3 great bagel places withing a mile radius of where I live)
cake and pastries (neighborhood has way too many bakeries too)
chips
ice cream (I've gotten so I can have a scoop, but I actually try not to eat it at all anymore)
french fries

Indian and Mexican food (they can be really calorie packed, and I love them)

I'll overdo it with pasta too, that's a hard one for me to eat the right proportion

duckyyellowfeet
01-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Any sort of those mindless carbs: chips, Chex Mix, Smartfoods White Cheddar popcorn, etc. I refuse to buy snacky foods like these because its always just mindless calories and I'm never satisfied with just the one serving. I can easily eat an entire bag of any of those, which just makes me feel sick, and I'm hungry 10 minutes later anyways.

BeachBreeze2010
01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Mine usually revolve around some form of spicy, greasy cheese. I am a moderation person, though. In fact I need it. If I get rid of something completely, I am just setting up for the motherlode binge. I can go to BW3s and eat the food I planned and one spicy garlic wing and enjoy and be done with it. I think it's the law of diminishing returns (sorry for the econ comparison), but the first three bites are amazing, after that not so much. I eat 3 bites and let it go. This only works if I am not on the low end of a sugar rollercoaster and am able to make rational choices. In that situation, absitenance is best!

DCHound
01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Birthday Cake!!!!! :)

catherinef
01-27-2010, 05:04 AM
I cannot have cold breakfast cereal in my house. That stuff is my kryptonite. I eat a lot of carbs, and the unrefined ones don't trigger me at all; I am able to eat whole grains and beans and pulses in moderation, and fruits and vegetables, even the starchy ones, are OK, and I feel very good on my present diet. Low-carb in general just does not work for me at all, but those refined carbs, whoa. Bad, bad news. Baked goods, other than the whole-grain bread I bake, are also completely out, and any sort of chip, be it corn or potato or allegedly "healthy" vegetable or wholegrain, nope, can't handle them.