100 lb. Club - Weird things you do to stay on track

rachael
01-25-2010, 10:36 AM
What weird things do you do to keep yourself on track?

I noticed that last time I quit and restarted that I had gained back basically a quarter pound a day until I started fresh again. Totally nuts, and totally a lot of weight. So what Iíve been doing this time is once or twice a week figuring out how long it would take me to gain back the weight Iíve lost at ľ lb a day, then writing that date on a slip of paper and sticking it on my desk where I can see. Nobody knows what the date means except for me and it keeps me motivated two ways: first, I see how very soon I could be right back to square one and second, I get to see that date get further and further away as I lose more weight, which is encouraging.

Lizzie2010
01-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Haha, what an idea! I imagine myself in this really weird... dimension... of sorts, lol. I imagine myself falling down slowly as some others (who are trying to lose weight) are also falling down. I imagine myself passing up the people who are holding steady... And then I beam with pride as I imagine my beer-guzzling peers going up without even realizing it, and I wave at them. Don't know where I ever, ever came up with this, but I imagine it and sometimes it helps me to stay on track.... even just for a few minutes.

Eliana
01-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Hmm...what day is it? LOL! It totally depends on the day.

Today my motivation is that my son was excited to fit into a pair of pants that didn't fit before AND he needed a belt.

Yesterdays motivation was playing around with Daily Plate for the first time. I was on it pretty much all day, when I wasn't walking. ;)

puzzledpenguin
01-25-2010, 11:10 AM
In the kitchen drawer were I keep my food diary I also have a folder were I put magazine cut outs of dress I like, celebs I admire etc. I look though i when I'm tempted to grab extra munchies. :)

brandijune44
01-25-2010, 11:16 AM
This is great! I've never done this in the past, but this time I have been reading books about people who have chronicled their weight loss journeys. (Which has really been helping my motivation level) I've noticed when I start getting tempted to make the wrong decisions, I look at it in "my larger weight loss book." I think about what I would have to write down, how I would tell the story, and by making the right choice how I would be able to write an inspiring story. It's so silly, but for some strange reason...it seems to be helping me...anything that works, right? :D

wendyland
01-25-2010, 11:18 AM
I keep asking myself how I'll feel in a year if I'm the same weight as I am now. How would I feel mentally, physically and emotionally.

HadEnough
01-25-2010, 11:24 AM
On my desk at work, written on a post it note is:

" A year from now, you will have wished you started today"

That is a good reminder to me to do what I need to do and stay focused.

Now weekends....that's a different story. LOL!

Ali87
01-25-2010, 11:36 AM
I keep a food diary, and I have a notebook I dedicate to my musings about weight loss. When I feel myself wavering i bring it out and re-read both the "failure" reports and success reports. I also have a list of important dates for 2010 which gives me motivation to be at a lower weight by these times.
I have been thinking of buying a piece of clothing a couple of sizes too small and have an aim to fit into it. It would have to be something i really wanted to wear though, so i'll wait untill i find it.

FitGirlyGirl
01-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I have spreadsheets where I track my progress, it helps me to go back and look at them. I also like to lift the amount of weight I have lost already and try to carry it around for a bit, that one really helps it hit home with me. I go online and browse clothing that is the type of stuff I will be able to wear at goal. One of my main reasons for doing this is so that I can have a baby, so I do things like watch the birth shows on discovery health, google image search "baby", browse for the things I would decorate a nursery with.

calluna
01-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Hm. I write a lot...and I sort of imagine myself back through time; e.g. the last time I weighed this was x years ago; I've lost x years' worth of pounds. Kind of bizarre, I guess, but it makes me feel a little like I'm undoing that amount of neglect.

rachael
01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Oh, I'm a spreadsheet psycho. I have several. It will be awesome when I'm done and can track everything.

Michelle98272
01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Crazy to say but to stay on track, I imagine myself in one year if I stay mostly on plan. I am nowhere near as pretty as her but like to imagine next year this time I'll look just like Kate Winslet.

graciegoose13
01-25-2010, 12:44 PM
On my desk at work, written on a post it note is:

" A year from now, you will have wished you started today"

I love that idea! I'm going to do that too now!

I use music to stay motivate, as weird as that sounds. I have a certain playlist that I work out to and when I hear that music it triggers something and I just feel better about what I've done so far, which is helpful, especially when I feel frustrated or get overwhelmed by how much I have to go.

The music obsession as of the last couple of weeks? Lady Gaga! Haha, her music is so fun and you can't help but feel hottt when you're working out (or dancing in front of the mirror :o) to it!

Gracie789
01-25-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm another spreadsheet-aholic. Seeing my progress is a huge motivation. Also, journaling has been a help. When I'm struggling I can look back over my entries and it helps me to refocus and stay positive. :)

BeachBreeze2010
01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
When I see junk (especially sugary junk), I think about the "cost" of the food. Instead of noticing the things on top or in it or allowing myself to think about what it tastes like, I remember how icky I feel after I eat it and how many minutes of exercise it would be to eat it. That pulls me away pretty quickly. 2 minutes of joy is soooo not worth hours of the sugar rollercoaster and an extra x minutes of exercise!!

jigglefree
01-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I go to the mall a couple times a week to mall walk and after my walk is over I stop in different stores and look at a size 10 in all kinds of styles. As I walk past the plus sized stores I tell them goodbye and I won't coming back for anything.

marigrace
01-25-2010, 05:30 PM
I put on some makeup, fix my hair, dress in something I think looks good on me, and head out.

traci in training
01-25-2010, 06:44 PM
I picture sitting on my front porch watching RAGBRAI riders go by and thinking to myself, "if that girl can do it, I can do it." I don't want anybody looking at me in July and saying "if that girl can do it, I can do it." I want to look like I belong on a bike riding across the state of Iowa. I not only want to ride my bike across Iowa, I want to look HOT doing it!

Also, while Christmas shopping for my girls this year I discovered they make "wide calf" boots. And it sort of made me gag. I want boots next winter - cool ones that are fuzzy on the inside - and they WILL NOT be wide calf sized. I want normal sized ones. Isn't that a weird motivator? Off-the-rack boots? I also want some dress boots that come almost to the knee and then you wear a straight skirt with them? And a bulky sweater? I want to look GOOD in boots!

Val424
01-25-2010, 07:31 PM
On my laptop I have the screen saver set on Marquee and I have my start date and weight set just as numbers followed by my current weigh in date and weight(I started again on Jan 4th and weighed 269.4 and weighed in Jan 25th at 254.9 so my numbers are 1042694 and 1252549 )and then it will scroll across the screen and I can see the progress (and noone else knows what it means LOL) it is a constant reminder. Usually my munching would be when I was on the computer and I would walk away and sit back down at the computer and munch. Now when I sit down my weights are scrolling across reminding me that maybe I don't want the junk and could go back and get an apple.

ubergirl
01-25-2010, 09:27 PM
These are all great ideas!

A thought that gets me through is that somewhere along the line, I told myself that I had eaten SO MUCH JUNK up to this point in my life that I had eaten enough to last a lifetime and that even if I never ate it again, it would be okay, because I had already eaten enough....then I think about all of the times over the years that I've downed an entire pack of OREOS or something like that, and how sometimes I enjoyed them, and more often I didn't really, and that now I've finished with OREOS... like graduating from college or watching your kids leave home-- it was great while it lasted, but now it's DONE.

cfmama
01-25-2010, 09:32 PM
I look at how far I've come... I read through my old journals, I check my spreadsheets... I remind myself that I NEVER want to go back there... and that reins me back in pretty damn quick.

Nikki6kidsmom
01-25-2010, 10:37 PM
I vocalize usually to the husband when I think I want a second helping or when I crave junk food. I say out loud I really want ________ but I know I don't need it and it will go straight to my A$$! LOL It helps me get over the wants. This happens alot when in the car zooming past fast food places. He laughs how I can just about come up with a want from ever darn place. But just saying it out loud makes me get over it . Maybe it's weird but it works for me. I have noticed I even do it alone sometimes. Silly Me!

Jaimie
01-25-2010, 11:08 PM
I have 2 corkboards, one in my bedroom by my desk and one on the wall infront of my treadmill. I have pictures of celebrities and models that I want to look like or magazine clippings of clothes I want to wear and inspirational words and it helps to keep me on track. When I am on my treadmill I can look at them while I'm exercising and it motivates me to work hard.

I'm sure I do other weird things, but I can't think of anymore off hand, lol

toobig
01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
I started my weight loss journey right about Christmas and my goal was to be 50#s lighter next Christmas. So I just picture me showing up at Christmas slimmer. Man do I look good!

toobig
01-26-2010, 08:41 AM
One other thing that I do is just go to bed. If I overeat it is usually later in the day when I am tired after a long day. So lately when I have been feeling the urge to eat and eat and eat I just go curl up in bed with a book.

Val424
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
another thing I do that isn't very weird but works is I have a big jar that I keep putting $5.00 in for every pound lost I figure I am saving at least that by giving up fast food. Of course I put 5 ones in the jar because it makes it look like so much more LOL. Whatever works.:carrot:

marigrace
01-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Come on all you chicks that are lurking around this thread...give it up !...what is your weird secret weapon ?

cathydoe
01-27-2010, 10:49 AM
This thread is great! But I am worried. I don't think I have anything! I mean I don't think I have anything "special" Maybe I need to. I have read what others wrote...but nothing really fits. I have thought about cutting pictures out of clothes I would like to fit into someday. More like styles of clothes. Since I have been bigger than a 3x I haven't been able to shop in many stores. 3FC keeps me on track. This has got me thinking....

Michelle98272
01-27-2010, 11:10 AM
As I was getting dressed for work today, I looked through the back of my closet at the nice 1X things I put in the back, hoping to get back to that size someday. I usually just pitch junky clothes that are too small, I wear my clothes to death so if they are too small I just get rid of them. But the really nice stuff I've bought in the last 5 years, suits, dresses, even cute summer stuff...It's all there! It's going to be like going shopping in my own closet!
I'm so excited! This seems like it will help me stay on track!

caryesings
01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
don't know if it qualifies as wierd, but I turn off my computer. I log my food online so if computer is off, I'm "done" eating for the day.

And yes, some mornings I have to go back a day and add something I ate later, but mostly this works.

Shmead
01-27-2010, 06:57 PM
I have everything in my closet arranged into 3 sections--"fits", "too small" and "too big". Moving things from one section to another is ceremonial and satisfying.
I constantly move my wedding ring to my other fingers, now that I can. It's a reminder of how far I've come.
I measure things much, much too carefully--it really, truly doesn't matter if it's 74 or 75 or 76 grams of cereal, but being careful about it reminds me that this matters.
I forecast "ok, at this rate of change by Date X I will weigh Y and wear Z". These aren't really goals because they change all the time (as the rate shifts) and because I don't remember the numbers--it's the process of forecasting that makes me feel better.
I lurk internet forums and web pages on weight loss and exercise.

LovebirdsFlying
01-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Like Gracie, I work out to music. It's a trick I've just discovered. I've found Linda Ronstadt's music in particular to be totally compatible with my pace, and right now this minute I'm testing other CD's to see if they'll be as effective. Picking out songs I really like will help. Yesterday at the Y I noticed that the more I like the song, the faster I pedal. I was able to break 80 rpms on the bike, and since I've been doing the music, I'm keeping it up longer. Now I can last almost 30 minutes, as opposed to the 15 I started out with, and that's on a bad day.

I also post like crazy. I'm glad to have found this site; it's the best.

AND I have the calendar on my cell phone programmed to tell me when it's time to go to the Y.

totsandfries
01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
I know this sound really strange, but I watched Super Size me and Food Inc. recently and I think of all the gross things stuck in sodas and potato chips.
It makes me not want those extra chips from the machine during my break.

marigrace
01-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Oh yes, totsandfries, that appeals to me too !

StellarGirl
01-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Shmead...I totally do the same thing! I look at my calendar and pencil in goal weights...and say "by x date I'll be y weight if i stay on track"
It's motivating to me because it puts a timeframe on a goal and makes it seem attainable.

I also can't wait to shop for clothes again. Everyone at my job is very well dressed, and I don't have nice clothes that fit right now (they're all too big!). I refuse to buy a nice suit, because I hope that when i buy a nice suit it is in a size 14, not 20. Buying a nice suit right now is something I cannot afford, and I don't want to succumb to this weight in any way. So I browse sites like Talbots and Ann Taylor ooh-ing and ahh-ing in my brain about all the nice clothes I will want to invest in when I reach my goal weight. I know it sounds crazy and materialistic, but I can't wait to waltz in somewhere and invest in some nice clothes. It will be like making an investment in my clothes is a committment to myself that I will stay at my goal size. Until then, old navy for me! =D