Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Beer!! Who knew? (it could help me)

eroica27
01-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I was looking up ways to raise my HDL (good cholesterol). the one thing I could find was to drink (moderatley...1 serving a day) alcohol. It was funny because I had resolved to drink more whiskey this year (as opposed to last year's single drink). Hah, life can be very funny sometimes.

To your health,
cheers :hat:...but a single serving if you are able to!

thehealthforum
01-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Doesn't the bad side affects outweighs the good?

ennay
01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Doesn't the bad side affects outweighs the good?

It depends on your risk factors. Look at your own family history and decide for yourself. Depending on the study, moderate drinking has been mostly shown to be neutral to beneficial in men and moderately harmful to moderately beneficial in women.

In my family heart disease is a high concern but we have zero history of breast, ovarian or other cancers so I might choose a glass of red wine for the heart. Were it the other way around I might choose differently

But exercise is the best way to raise HDL.

eroica27
01-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I do excersize and my job is physical, so there is little bad sides to having a few (1-3) drinks a week. The calories in a beer (or wine) are not going to negatively affect my daily amount at all, has a low glycemic level, isn't completely nutritionally bankrupt, I'm not following it with salty snacks, and I can control how much i have since i dont care for the taste of either.