Old 01-24-2010, 02:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/155/125

Height: 5'4

Default Exercise?

So after getting married in September I fell off the Atkins wagon and gained about 10 pounds. Two weeks ago I started back on induction and have also been exercising again. I do the 30 day shred and also my stationary bike at a pace of 17-20 MPH. At the end of these two weeks I have lost nothing. I wasn't expecting much but a few pounds would have been nice. I have always had good results with the cycling but I am thinking maybe the 30 day shred is too much. Has anyone had an experience similar to this, as in too much exercise preventing weight loss?
aadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I honestly don't know.. I started exercising 3 days ago doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds (I do the 2 miles with the weighted balls, yeah, the original!) and I haven't weighed myself yet, waiting a couple of more days. I think depending on the type of exercise we may build up muscle and that could account for the reading on the "scale"... Did you measure yourself before starting Induction?

Perhaps another member could give you feedback.

Toby
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/150/135

Height: 5'3

yes i agree before i started atkins i was calorie counting and staying under 1200 cals faithfully everyday AND going to the gym daily sometimes twice and the scale after a month was not moving and i knew for sure i wasn't doing anything wrong but even tho the scale wasn't moving ...all my clothes were fitting very loose so ...fat doesn't weigh more than muscle BUT it takes up more space so if your exercising and building muscle your weight could stay the same but the space will be smaller google "fat vs muscle" and it will give you a picture of what i mean (i tried to post link but it wouldn't let me sorry.
cctrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I had a similar experience a few years ago when I did really intense exercise daily for about 6 weeks while doing a pretty strict diet (low fat at the time) and for all my efforts lost only 2 pounds. I was exercising about 2 1/2 hours a day - weights, intensive cardio, broken into morning & evening sessions.

I think I scared my metabolism into thinking we were under attack instead of coaxing it to give up some fat. Once I stopped the madness (and insane pressure) and loosened up on both diet & exercise I lost at a pretty steady rate again.

I definitely think we can overdo it, especially if you have calories at or below 1200 and do really intense exercise too.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/155/125

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahinparis View Post
I had a similar experience a few years ago when I did really intense exercise daily for about 6 weeks while doing a pretty strict diet (low fat at the time) and for all my efforts lost only 2 pounds. I was exercising about 2 1/2 hours a day - weights, intensive cardio, broken into morning & evening sessions.

I think I scared my metabolism into thinking we were under attack instead of coaxing it to give up some fat. Once I stopped the madness (and insane pressure) and loosened up on both diet & exercise I lost at a pretty steady rate again.

I definitely think we can overdo it, especially if you have calories at or below 1200 and do really intense exercise too.
I think you are right. I have been doing some reading and it seems to conclude that lighter exercise might be better with the low carb lifestyle. Maybe after I am fully back on track and losing I will add some more but for now I am going to cut down to just the cycling.
aadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Now I am wondering if walking 2 miles in 30 minutes is overdoing it??

The Walk Away the Pounds is fast walking combined with some kicks, knee lifts, and getting the heart rate up there. My gyno told me that the best thing I could do for menopause and my bones is to exercise.. I guess it's all about balance.

Toby
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #7  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

So glad I read these last couple of post. I havent lost any weight on the scale in almost 2 weeks, even though working out at the gym harder than ever and probalby going to low on the carbs. Maybe I will back off a little on the cardio. I was just about keeling over on the ellipical this week. Maybe less is more.
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi aadb.

This is just my opinion, based on years of experience....but when it comes to exercise, I have found that it's best to do something you really enjoy and don't have to force yourself to do or else it won't work long-term.

For me, now....I love to walk while listening to my ipod. I love it, I enjoy it and I look forward to it. Years ago I did the whole gym thing but was never able to maintain it....because when it came right down to it, it was a huge hassle and I had to force myself to do it....not a good long-term plan.

Almost 58, I now feel it's important not to put too much stress on weight-bearing joints (mainly knees) and walking or swimming is great for this.

I also totally agree with an article sarahinparis posted on her blog....saying, basically....that exercise should be a cornerstone of health....but that dietary plan should be the cornerstone of weight-loss. I think that it's a great, not to mention a more realistic perspective.
And to follow the logic...find something you enjoy and can do forever...as you want to maintain your health forever. Whereas when it comes to losing weight, that always implies a limited time-frame.....so you don't want to connect exercise too heavily to it so as to only see it as necessary for a limited time.

Basically...do an enjoyable exercise that is not too taxing and that you enjoy...every day...forever. Because it's good for you. Whether you're losing weight or not. It's just a bit of a different perspective....one that I think is better for long-term success.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I agree 1000% percent with Deena. You have to find some exercise you enjoy or you won't stick with it. It'll become a chore, and when your energy is low that will become an excuse not to do it.

I work out *hard* and I don't have any intention of stopping just because I'm low carbing now, because I love lifting weights and doing really strenuous cardio. I love how strong I am now. I did one-armed push-ups on Sunday! That's insane, considering where I started. But I love it, so I keep at it.

That said, I eat a LOT to keep up with my energy levels. 1600-1800 calories a day is standard for me, and at my height and weight that's pretty high. I'm burning at least 500 (usually more) a day with my workouts, though, so that's what I need to do.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote