Old 01-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

Default Haven't made it to ketosis - metaquick

I have been on the program since 12/27 and still haven't gotten into ketosis. My consultant told me a few things I was doing wrong - not enough water, cheese at lunch more than 3x a week, butter spray overload, listerine. Anyone else have the same problem or have any tips on getting into ketosis. Also, what is metaquick and how does it work. I have seen it mentioned in this forum and keep forgetting to ask when I am at MRC.
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen ready to lose View Post
I have been on the program since 12/27 and still haven't gotten into ketosis. My consultant told me a few things I was doing wrong - not enough water, cheese at lunch more than 3x a week, butter spray overload, listerine. Anyone else have the same problem or have any tips on getting into ketosis. Also, what is metaquick and how does it work. I have seen it mentioned in this forum and keep forgetting to ask when I am at MRC.
I'm just curious how you're basing you haven't gotten i ketosis. Is it the pee sticks at the center that you're going by. I think I was only in ketosis once when doing that.... Are you going by the Tanita reading? That 's how I know I've lost fat but I don't go by the "pee stick" stuff.
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #3  
AKA Nurse Ratchett

S/C/G: 0/25/52

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi, I'm new to this forum and pretty new to MRC! I have been OP for 7 weeks, am down 19lbs and 25 inches. I have never been in ketosis per the urine dipsticks but I know I am losing fat! I would say be more concerned about your inches lost and what the Tanita says your fat loss is. That seems to be a more accurate assesment of what your body is doing. Good luck!
Nicatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

I think I only showed ketosis once or twice and I have been on the program since August. They told me don't worry about it since I am losing fat.. So guess what? I don't worry about it.. I guess if you are not losing weight ie: fat then you may have a problem..

Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

Thank you all so much! I have been thinking it is a big deal as the consultants at my center act like it is a big deal every time they see my "pee stick". I am losing fat and after 4 weeks have lost 10 inches. What is a Tanita reading?
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #6  
AKA Nurse Ratchett

S/C/G: 0/25/52

Height: 5'5.5"

The Tanita is the scale, but when you first join, then at 2 weeks, 1 month and every month there after, they do the "full measurements". Instead of just reading your weight it gets other readings like BMI, fat percentage, water percentage, lean muscle mass, etc. They do that at the same time they do your measurements with the tape. I think it is a great tool so you know you are losing fat but retaining you muscle tissue.
Nicatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #7  
Think Pink!

Height: 5'8"

I've only been on 3 weeks but I haven't been in ketosis yet either. But some of your suggestions are good ones. I often take cheese with me for lunch because I eat in my car (do home health visits) and it's easy to take. I'm going to start bringing some more hard boiled eggs this week instead of cheese every day.
PinkTiara22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTiara22 View Post
I've only been on 3 weeks but I haven't been in ketosis yet either. But some of your suggestions are good ones. I often take cheese with me for lunch because I eat in my car (do home health visits) and it's easy to take. I'm going to start bringing some more hard boiled eggs this week instead of cheese every day.
I'm not by my green sheet....but a reminder you can only have eggs or cheese 2-3 times a week....going from memory here.....My guess is reducing the amount of cheese will bring some good results for you.
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #9  
Think Pink!

Height: 5'8"

I'm on the beige menu so we can have eggs or cheese daily, but cheese at only one meal.
PinkTiara22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 169.8/122.8/129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicatnight View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum and pretty new to MRC! I have been OP for 7 weeks, am down 19lbs and 25 inches. I have never been in ketosis per the urine dipsticks but I know I am losing fat! I would say be more concerned about your inches lost and what the Tanita says your fat loss is. That seems to be a more accurate assesment of what your body is doing. Good luck!
I am new, what is OP? 19lbs and 25 inches in 7 weeks, that is great!!
Ooh La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 AM   #11  

Don't worry about the "ketosis" thing. The sticks are very unreliable. In order to get a somewhat accurate reading, you should use it on a first morning void. Some centers don't even use them, so don't worry -- if you're seeing results, all is well!
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 283/199/157

Height: 5'7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooh La La View Post
I am new, what is OP? 19lbs and 25 inches in 7 weeks, that is great!!
Great Job! Keep up the good work. OP means "on program".
champagneblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #13  
Goddess in Training

S/C/G: 284/209/150

Height: 5'3

I wasn't in ketosis for the entire first month. I think my body finally got used to the 96 oz of water I was drinking and then I finally started showing trace and small readings on the stick test. 2 weeks ago I increased my water intake to 150 oz or more and since I have increased the water, the ketosis readings are negative again. Don't worry too much about the ketosis, stay OP and you will continue to lose!! Good Luck!!!
kathyb712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #14  

Height: 5'6''

Ugh...the pee sticks. I forget about those all the time. I agree with everyone else. If you're losing weight and your Tanita readings say you're not losing non-fat weight (muscle loss) then you're fine. If you're genuinely worried about it or if they give you hassle about it, then ask for a Tanita reading. They can do it at every weigh in if you'd like. My center tells me they'll do it whenever I want. Shoot, I could do it myself at this point. I know how the thing works. Thats a far more reliable method of measurement than a test like the urine dip.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 256/198/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchmom84 View Post
I'm just curious how you're basing you haven't gotten i ketosis. Is it the pee sticks at the center that you're going by. I think I was only in ketosis once when doing that.... Are you going by the Tanita reading? That 's how I know I've lost fat but I don't go by the "pee stick" stuff.
My center has never mentioned ketosis or that pee sticks are available.
Secretgrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote