Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #1  
drswaqy

S/C/G: 220

Height: 66 inches

Red face I just hate being fat but LOVE Food! HELP!!!

I am sure this isn't a new concept for some of you... eating is my favorate thing to do. I am sure this isn't a new concept for some of you... eating is my favorite thing to do.

When we celebrate we go out to eat. For a special treat we go to the ice cream parlor. My favorite outdoor activity is a picnic or a cookout. NO Surprise I am fat.

Until a few weeks ago I thought nothing of it. I am 47 have a good job and my kids are (almost) grown, I am married to a wonderful man (25 years and counting)… and when I look in the mirror I just didn’t see the person looking back out at me. But a few weeks ago my husband said “Are you going to spend all day eating and watching TV?” Well I had actually planned to do just that… it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I got up and tried to snatch on some jeans… they didn’t fit properly nothing with a waist band fit… I had a muffin top that would have been a Genius competitor and I hadn’t noticed it happening. I had gotten massive and since I have always been “busty” no one else had notice either. Now I have to figure out how to lose the weight without being ticked off (all the time) about not being able to indulge my “Love” for food.

I have tried Diet Pills, but only the Rx ones seem to help (my Thyroid was removed 6 years ago and diet pill seem to give me a massive energy rush for about 3 hours then I sleep.) Low carb diets work for a short period but I always seem to find a way to sneak bread… and although I hate exercise I have tried to force myself to exercise at least 20 minutes a day (30 min of walking most days). But since the beginning of the year I have lost only 1 lb… and it keeps threatening to come back.
I need a diet where I can eat… Any ideas?

I am not blaming my big butt on anybody but me… and I am not looking for a pity-party I just need ideas for weight loss that work AND allow me to eat.
drsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Welcome, Drsway; it sounds like you have had a rude awakening -- ack! What I would recommend is spending some time cruising these boards to try to find a plan that appeals to you. Maybe if you look at all the varied ways that people have successfully approached losing weight, something will resonate with you. Also spend time cruising the GOAL and MINI-GOAL forums and look at the pictures. People have undergone remarkable transformations here and successfully kept the weight off. And feel free to post and ask lots of questions. I have found everyone here to be very helpful.

Unfortunately, though, if you want to lose the weight, your relationship with food will have to change, and change permanently. Because if you lose the weight and then go back to your old ways, history has it that you will likely gain it back and then some.

So, take it easy, take is slow, and find a plan that works for you, something you can sustain in the long run.

Good luck!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome drsway. You have found a great site for support and people who are losing weight using all kinds of different approaches. Some of us are devoted foodies-myself included. You don't have to give up your love for food but you will likely have to give up your love for junk. There is no healthy way to eat that includes junk. I suspect I don't need to explain what that is. That doesn't mean you can NEVER have a treat but treats are meant to be exactly that-occasional events. Not everyday parts of our diets.

This is advice I have already given out once this week but I will repeat again here for you. The best "diet" for you is the one you can do for life. You need to view this not as some artifical way of eating you do for a short period of time just to lose weight and then abandon once you reach your weight loss goal because guess what will happen then? You need to spend some time thinking about what changes you are ready and willing to make, what foods you can live without and which ones you absolutely cannot and whether or not you have medical issues that may point you in particular directions. There is a plan out there that will work for almost everyone. There is no magic bullet or quick fix. Spend some time looking around the site, check out some of the forums for specific diet plans. Many people post their menus and you can see what people are eating. May give you an idea about whether or not it is a plan you could live with or not. You may have to try out a few before you find one that fits. Hope that helps. We'll all be happy to help you in any way we can.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra65 View Post
The best "diet" for you is the one you can do for life. You need to view this not as some artifical way of eating you do for a short period of time just to lose weight and then abandon once you reach your weight loss goal because guess what will happen then? ... There is a plan out there that will work for almost everyone. There is no magic bullet or quick fix.
Really excellent advice. And as with eating, the best plans for exercise involve activities that you actually LIKE and can be involved with the rest of your life.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #5  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi drsway - good advice from these great ladies...why not come and check in on our weekly thread and start with accountability. Get to know everyone - check in with what you're doing to make a difference, what foods you're choosing, if you're moving, etc....and maybe pick up some motivation along the way...you'd be surprised how all those little changes will add up
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I love food too! I love everything about it.
I love reading grocery flyers.
I love grocery shopping.
I love planning grocery shopping.
I love reading recipes.
I love contriving healthiness out of unhealthy recipes.
I love setting a beautiful table.
I love kitchen gadgets, dishes, glasses, coffee mugs, knives, cutting boards ...
I love finding another way to cook and/or prepare something.
I love feeding people.
I love eating things I didn't have to prepare and if they're free ... that's even better.

The good news is that (most of the time) I can channel all that into a healthier way to eat. Careful consideration of my next snack or meal. Anticipation of next week's meals.

Many food plans are structured toward eating frequent small meals. Perfect for snackers! If I'm at home, I graze. I love it!

You don't need to lose or ignore your love of food. You just need to reconfigure it. And we'll be here to help with that.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #7  
Excavation in Progress

S/C/G: 215/*ticker*/135

Height: 5' nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I love food too! I love everything about it.
I love reading grocery flyers.
I love grocery shopping.
I love planning grocery shopping.
I love reading recipes.
I love contriving healthiness out of unhealthy recipes.
I love setting a beautiful table.
I love kitchen gadgets, dishes, glasses, coffee mugs, knives, cutting boards ...
I love finding another way to cook and/or prepare something.
I love feeding people.
I love eating things I didn't have to prepare and if they're free ... that's even better.
Yup this is me also in a nutshell! As a freelance writer, I even WRITE about food which doesn't help at times. lol

drsway, I love to eat too and I love to feed people. Food has been a focal point in our lives too - hard not to be given our family's culture. The thing is to be aware of what you are eating, as said by the poster before me.

How about visiting your area farmers market. Walking around while choosing healthy food gives you exercise without being aware! This is good practice anywhere you enjoy being that requires walking. Try keeping food around that is low in calories and crunchy, like cucumbers. Just tips that are helping me.

~Peace
archychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, I've finally come to terms with the fact that the only way I lose weight is by reducing carbs. I will probably have to control carbs for the rest of my life. I do find it difficult to stay on plan (which is why I'm losing so slowly), but this is the only time in my life that I've ever been on a downward trend, without regaining ALL of the weight back at some point. It's been five years since I've gained weight to that degree. I've had minor setbacks, but no major backsliding. The only difference is that 1. I know that low-carb, whole food eating is the plan I feel best and lose weight best on, so it's always my ideal, even when I'm not living up to it. 2. I refuse to go "off" my diet in the sense of giving up. I weigh myself every day, and won't listen to myself when I start to think "what's the use."

I'm not saying low-carb dieting IS for you, just that not being able to live up to your ideal plan (whatever that is) doesn't have to be a reason to give up the attempt. In the long-run, progress is far more important than perfection.

In an ideal world I would be able to eat whatever I want, and maintain my weight. I don't live in that world (and I don't think anyone does. It's a world that exists only in imaginations, because - even naturally slim folks are going to have health consequences if their diet isn't balanced to their needs).

I love food, and my foodie hobbies. Some people may find it easier to replace all of their food hobbies. I am finding other hobbies too, but not to the exclusion of food hobbies. I tend to abandon diets that I find boring or restrictive, so it works better for me to incorporate into my weight loss plan my love of food, restaurants, cooking, food shopping, food reading/research and writing about food.

I do have to change the focus of the food hobby, but that's been more achievable than I would have imagined (I almost said easier, but I don't like that word, because changing habits is never really easy).

Cheesecake was a former food passion (and could easily become one again, if I allowed it to). I was always on the lookout for a new or unusual cheesecake.

One of my new food passions is fruit and vegetables. I find asian markets to be a great place to find fruits and vegetables that aren't common in the chain grocery stores. I'm always on the lookout for new foods to try (I just try to make sure the foods are better food-choices).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/187/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsway View Post
I just need ideas for weight loss that work AND allow me to eat.
The reason I was never able to have much success with weight loss before was that I restricted eating TOO much. You CAN eat and lose weight, it's just learning how to eat healthier foods.

I have found counting calories to be perfect for me at this point in my weight loss. If I cave it and feel the need to have chocolate once in a while it's ok, I just count it in my calories and move on. I think that's what real life is about, moderation and balance.

You can still have your cookouts and your picnics, you just have to substitute the unhealty food for stuff that is good for you. After a while, the healthier choices become natural and you prefer them.

Good luck to you on your journey!
carrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #10  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

drsway ... welcome to the journey!

I'd suggest starting with the "you bite it, you write it" - find out exactly what it is you are eating, and how much. Once it's on paper, certain things/classes of food will jump out at you. If you're seeing lots of chips and candy, you're not a foodie - you're a junkie and you need to detox. There's some naturally thin people who can stay thin eating crap, but I do not know of anyone in our group who's reached their goal weight and still eats it on anything but a very rare basis.

As a committed foodie (as are many of us!), what you put in your mouth deserves your full attention. A simple step is truly enjoy your food. When it's on a plate, and you're sitting down and fully tasting, smelling, and seeing what you eat, minus the distractions like the TV ... you'll begin to notice things. One of the biggest realizations that I had on my way down the scale is that food is enjoyed in the mouth, not the stomach ... and by chewing carefully and really savoring the tastes, I eat less. Choose color - let your plate be a palette instead of a sea of beige. Good nutrition comes from the edibles we evolved or were created to eat, and it will be attractive to your eyes. Too much advertising and neurotoxic chemicals in the processed food have trained us to drool at a Doritos bag ... but that's not hunger.

Learning portion sizes is vital - a food scale is a valuable tool. Many of us are completely out of touch with what a serving of something should be. Ice cream is half a cup, not half a gallon!

Don't panic. The weight didn't appear overnight, and it won't go away overnight. Some folks have been successful with radical, all-or-nothing commitments to a new lifestyle, but I'd have to say most of us experimented our way through a dozen different plans before we found the right combinations. Low fat doesn't work for everybody. Low carb doesn't work for everybody. Some people hate fruit! Don't let yourself get angry or miserable - my biggest lesson at 3FC was that YOU CANNOT HATE YOURSELF THIN! Search the forums - check out the Goal stories and see how many different ways our Chickies have succeeded. Look for the one that sounds the best to you, and give it a shot! Good luck, and check in often!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

Wow, your post looks like it came from me. I love food also. I don't have that much of a sweet tooth, but love to eat really good food. Why is losing weight so hard? I know for me that it's all about getting my mind into the program and not just my body.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #12  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

it's okay to love food...but what about things like healthy portion sizes...limit the ones that aren't healthy for you....take time to use/find great ingredients to make your favorite recipes healthier

it's okay to love food...let's just find a better way to indulge...lots of food to choose from...lots of options, lots of recipes...
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I LOVE food still. I spend a LOT of time figuring out how to eat the things I like and make them healthier and I keep track of what I eat so I know I didn't just eat a week's worth of food in one meal. And I ride that doggone bicycle almost every day and go for a short walk or do part of an exercise video or use the mini trampoline if the weather isn't cooperating for bike riding. We still grill food, we still have picnics and I cook an awesome dinner with a lot of flavor, variety, and healthy ingredients just about every day. I've taken most of my favorite recipes and "skinnied" them down by subsituting things that are lower in fat, thus lower in calories, and I pay attention to portion sizes ( measure and weigh, no guessing about it). I try new veggies, especially prepared in different ways even if I haven't liked them before. Some I like now, some I still don't like. I keep a food journal so I can see trends.

I think I can pretty much live with this plan forever, though I will have an occasional restaurant meal and eat food cooked by friends once I am at goal and sure I can stay there.

I don't think this is an easy thing to do, but it is possible, necessary, and I am seeing results that I like.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #14  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

You could always try calorie counting, but I think you should take some time and read about different diets to find one that won't feel like you're miserable on a diet. And as others have said it really is a lifestyle change. You have to trade in your old habits for some new ones.

The good news is, for me at least, the healthier choices get easier over time. I'm sure you can look through the diet forums for some ideas of what to eat. I have also seen some very good recipes floating around as well.

Good luck on your weightloss journey! I hope you find what works best with your body. Don't give up!

Last edited by Asherdoodles87; 03-28-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

I think that the best thing for me is to just not buy food that I really like. That way it's not a temptation at home. If I am out eating, it's better to go to a restaurant that does not have a buffet bar, that way I can at least control some of the amount of food that I can get to.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote