South Beach Diet - Bread machine tips and recipes?

View Full Version : Bread machine tips and recipes?

tomandkara
01-22-2010, 03:50 AM
I was thinking about trying oat flour in the bread maker and was wondering if anyone else has experience modifying recipes for the bread maker.

Thanks!

CyndiM
01-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Kara - I constantly play with the "recipe" I use. To be honest it's not a recipe so much as a framework. I do find that if I use a good amount of gluten (no, I'm not actually eating my own bread anymore :( ) I can use (so far) up to 1/3 not gluten flours. I've used oat, brown rice, quinoa and bean flours, and very finely ground cereal mixes. I'm not sure if the gluten is necessary but I think it helps. You do have to check it during the mix cycle because it often needs more flour (sometimes more liquid). I often use this as an excuse to dump in some ground flax.

I'm not baking for children though and Julie will eat whatever I bake ;)

tomandkara
01-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks, Cyndi. My kids aren't picky, but I'm just wanting to try something new. I love using oat flour, and since wheat can be a trigger for me I would like to come up with something else. I wonder if I can find some xanthan gum around here anywhere...

CyndiM
01-22-2010, 07:25 AM
I've never made gluten free bread but I have made wheat free bread with spelt flour. I actually prefer spelt to wheat - more fiber and tastes great. I'm not playing with gluten free yeast bread recipes. They seem to need simple starches (tapioca, potato...) and I know I'll have problems with them. I've talked a lot to a good friend who bakes and all her recipes include that sort of thing. Luckily I'm not a big bread eater, I usually just ate the first piece when it came out of the oven. If you find something that works Id love to see it.

tomandkara
01-22-2010, 08:01 AM
I'll let you know.

When Connor was little, he was allergic to wheat, so I have a bit of experience with alternate flours. I never made yeast breads, though, just quick breads.

cottagebythesea
01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Kara, does your commissary carry Bob's Red Mill products? They make a Xanthum gum. We love their 10 Grain Bread Mix made in the bread machine, but I had to stop making it so often because it was getting me in trouble.

tomandkara
01-22-2010, 08:55 AM
We have a few Bob's Red Mill products, but no xanthan gum. It's too bad I thought of this a few days after we got back from the States! I know where I can order some, though.