Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/242/170

Height: 5' 10"

Smile Greetings from California!!!

Hi all! My name is Michelle (but my friends call me Shell, so either of these names will do...), and I'm new to the forum. A friend of mine recommended this and I thought I'd give it a try.

I just turned 40, and finally reached the point where I told myself that I needed to do something about my weight. I started two weeks ago at 246, and now weigh 242. I'm not looking for a progressive, quick weight loss. I want to make this last, which is why I decided to follow Dr. Steven Pratt's Superfoods book. I've incorporated 24 good-for-you-foods into my life that need to show up either daily or at some point during the week (I'm not a big salmon eater, so that's less often). My best friend and I have been doing it, and we feel so much better, energy-wise.

The next thing I've had to do is get moving. I'm a HUGE fan of walking, having done my first Breast Cancer 3-Day walk in October. But I had to find other things to get my body revved up, so I've been doing three days of the P90X workout with the same friend. It's NO JOKE!!! It absolutely kicks my butt... LOL!!! But we've started at a pace that's right for us, and have made great progress each time we've done it.

So, that's my plan so far. I'm always open to new ideas. Like I said earlier, I want this to last the rest of my life!!!

I wish nothing but success for all who are on this forum, and look forward to the words of wisdom from you all!!!
lovemyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

Hi Michelle! You're in Oakland?? I'm from Concord. Yay for East bAY!! CONGRATS on creating a plan and joining up. look forward to seeing you around here.
charlottekelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #3  

Hi Michelle (and Charlotte) -

I am Deb, live in Novato, and am brand new here. Quite the group of Californian's we have going here A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I started back on SB - Phase 1. Like you, we have a plan, which sure helps on those difficult days.

Look forward to seeing you both around here.
Wavesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck, I am in San Jose......looks like we are representing Northern California !!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 AM   #5  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Michelle!
Sounds you're off to s great start with a good plan - how smart to make your priority health and not just a diet or a number - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on..

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired. Try the 40 somethings and the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation. Maybe check out the Whole Food forum - it may be of interest, too.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #6  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Deb!
Just wanted to welcome you as well - so glad you're here.
How great for you and hubby to do this together - so much easier when you both are eating the same thing! Check out the South Beach forum here - it's very active and can be helpful to share support and advice.

Good luck with your goals - hope to see you around the boards,
Lee
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

wow there really are a lot of us. that is awesome. represent!! i love it here despite this current week of endless rain...i just curl up by the fire!
charlottekelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #8  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Well the ATL is stopping by to say!!! Sounds like you have a great plan and it's cool to have a buddy to take the journey with you!!
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/196/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi I'm from Cali too? SD and yes it's good to see that there are a lot of Californian's. I've started the sB diet on the 1/1/2010 and have lost 10 lbs but I'm kind of scared to fall back on my bad habits. I will turn 40 this year and started thinking that I need to do somthing for me and to live a healthier lifestyle to keep up with my energetic family of all men (hubby and 2 boys) that play sports. I'm always on the go with their sports and I thought what do I have going for myself.. I need to be active like them so I said this is it. I will be happy with what ever I can loose until my b-day this summer so wish me luck. I have also been walking and i love my nintendo wii. I have beendoing the biggest looser wii game (I love it). kicks my butt some days but it feels great at the end. well better get off here but i;m looking forward to meeting new friends and support one another!! LET'S DO IT IN 2010!!!
chinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 292/289/175

Height: just over 5ft6

Talking Have room for one more chick from Cali?

Hey guys! I'm from the East Bay too. My name is amber alicia, and I live in Hayward. Good to see so many bay areans and californians here.

Hope to see you all around!
sucha d0ll is offline   Reply With Quote