100 lb. Club - OT - Back from free clinic

View Full Version : OT - Back from free clinic

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 04:11 PM
I am back from clinic and a bit disheartened. The "doctor" mashed around on the lump, pronounced it as lipoma, very rudely informed me that it would be considered cosmetic surgery to have it removed and sent me on my way :|
I would think they would need to do some tests or something to determine what it is but I guess I was wrong :|

Anyway, I am glad it is nothing serious, just wish the guy had not been so..crass.

ubergirl
01-21-2010, 04:22 PM
VERY HAPPY that it turned out to be nothing serious.

I would not worry that you needed additional testing-- I've seen lots of lipomas and they're pretty easy to recognize. You can almost always count on doctors to overtest-- if a test isn't done, it's because they feel confident in the diagnosis, and that's a good thing!!

SORRY that the doc didn't make you feel more cared for. :-(

But happy that it's a benign condition. Plus, I've seen them disappear.

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
:hug::hug:

cathydoe
01-21-2010, 04:38 PM
So glad everything checked out better than expected!

So sorry the doc had to be a poop head! Maybe he had a bad morning and he isn't like this all the time...still doesn't excuse the nasty behavior! Sorry you had to endure his rath!:hug:

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks Cathy :hug:

bluebutterfly
01-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Don't you just hate it when you screw up the courage to go to the doctor & end up walking out feeling worse than when you went it :hug: I'm sorry your experience was so crummy! Of course, thankful it's benign.

I've read that people with fibromyalgia tend to have more lipomas than other people. Don't know if that applies to you, or not.

time2lose
01-21-2010, 04:58 PM
I am sorry that the doctor was so crass but glad that it is a lipoma. DH has had two and both times it was diagnosed without tests. He was told both times, at first, that it was considered cosmetic surgery so insurance would not cover removal. Then later, after they got larger, removal was not considered cosmetic surgery and he had them removed. I thought that was so stupid. Why not be able to remove them while they were small and easier to remove?

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks Cheryl and I agree 150% :hug:

Judy Lynn
01-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Whew! At least now you don't have to worry about it any more.

HeidiNicole
01-21-2010, 05:16 PM
I am sorry that the doctor was so crass but glad that it is a lipoma. DH has had two and both times it was diagnosed without tests. He was told both times, at first, that it was considered cosmetic surgery so insurance would not cover removal. Then later, after they got larger, removal was not considered cosmetic surgery and he had them removed. I thought that was so stupid. Why not be able to remove them while they were small and easier to remove?

My DH had a similar experience. His were near his wrist and forearm and they were starting to cause pinched nerves, so insurance covered it once that happened. Keep on top of any symptoms it causes (shoulder/back pain, whatever) and it may not be considered cosmetic forever.

Michelle98272
01-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Last year I had pneumonia and went to my family dr. She told me if I didn't start to feel better or felt much worse to go the ER. I went to the ER and the Dr. there told me "I don't know what you want ME to do for you" He went on to tell me I was sick but nothing more he could do about it but it made me feel like s**t. He had -0- bedside manner. Some Drs. shouldn't be working with people.

I am glad your lump isn't something terrible but the Dr. could have been just a bit nicer!

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks everyone :hug::hug::hug::hug:

FitGirlyGirl
01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
I am so glad that you found a clinic to go to and that it turned out to be something minor. I am sorry about the doc though. At least now you know of a free clinic close enough to you and they should have a file on you now, so if you have some more serious medical issue you won't have to go through the hunt process again.

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks Roxy :hug:

PeanutsMom704
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
phew, that's a relief!! Too bad the doc was a jerk but the news is great!

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Thank you :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Glad to hear that it isn't something more worrisome -- that's the most important thing of all, right? :D

I think we have all encountered a doctor or nurse sometime that seemed to be short or curt with us. I think that many doctors are tired and overworked these days; and he may have been having a bad day. That has happened to me in the past and the next time I saw that same doctor, he was fine; hope that is so for you too ... :hug:

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 06:32 PM

Sskar
01-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Glad to hear your lump is "only" a lipoma, but there is something you might want to keep in mind. Physicians do not determine what is covered by your insurance company - the insurance company does. If this one is bothering you for any reason (the lipoma, not the doc :lol: , you can contact the insurance company yourself and find out their coverage policy on lipomas. Trust me, plastic surgeons in our area do a lot of lipoma removals that are paid for by insurance.

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Thank you Sskar, one of my issues is I don't have insurance :| :hug:

SNMomof1
01-21-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm glad it's nothing too horrendous. Sorry the doc was a jerk. :(

:hug:

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Thank you :)

Sskar
01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
So sorry, I misread your post and inferred something from the doc's comments. Well, there are non-surgical treatments of lipomas, but they are suboptimal and not feasible for all lipomas. How far are you from Albany? The Medical College of Albany just might be a place to have this done without insurance. Umm, I'll try to set my User CP so you can PM for more info if you are interested in pursuing.

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I am about 30 mins from Albany but I am also poor with no job, lol...true story though, heh :| :hug:

Sskar
01-21-2010, 07:10 PM
So many folks are out of work and also without insurance - it breaks my heart.
I have taught in several medical schools. Most take non-paying patients as part of their service and teaching obligations. Yes, you will end up seeing resident physicians and fellows, but they are supervised by attending physicians. That's why I'm suggesting Albany Medical College. Just checked their web site and they model themselves as a regional health care system. Give them a call at their 1-877 number and check on their policy regarding care of folks without insurance in their region. It might take referral from a doc or you could get in directly. If nothing else realize that this is an option for other medical services for your family.
http://www.amc.edu/Patient/index.html

jan

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks Jan :D :hug:

lovemyboy
01-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Wow! I had no idea that you had a scary lump worry or what a lipoma is. I'm glad it is benign. It is a shame that the doc was not more sensitive to the level of fear and worry involved in a mysterious lump.

Onederchic
01-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Thank you :hug:

shcirerf
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Glad to hear the good news. :carrot:

Sorry about the crabby Dr. One thing I learned when DH was severely injured, multiple surgeries and 14 months off work, sometimes you just gotta suck it up and bite back! They're Dr.s, not God.

Anywho, this type of tumor is fairly common, we see a lot of them in dogs at the veterinary hospital. My boss has one on his abdomen, been there for years, hasn't changed. EX bil had one on the back of his neck, that had to be removed, never grew back.

Just keep an eye on it, if it starts to inhibit movement, or interfere with your daily life, can't sleep good, can't wear bra, neck gets stiff, shoulder/arm movement restricted, etc., you need to go back and get it reevaluated.

Now for a nosy question, you can blow me off and tell me it's none of my biz if you want, but, does your bf have insurance at work? If you were to get married and he added you, would it be a money issue working to cover the premium, deductible, etc. Some times, if you wheel and deal, Dr.s and hospitals will take what the insurance will pay and forgive the rest. Just a thought.

A few years ago my Mom, who didn't have insurance and wasn't quite old enough for Medicare/Medicaid, needed emergency gall bladder surgery, and then they discovered, she needed heart surgery. The hospitals and Dr.s worked with her and what they call, "foundation money" and reduced her bills. Her heart surgery was $78,000. OMG! Because she was poor, they reduced it to $1500 and gave her a great payment plan. Like $30/month. The other hospital reduced her gall bladder surgery with about $30/mo payments as well.

Could you qualify for SSI disability for some reason? Then medicare or medicaid might pay for it. Just trying to cover all the bases to help you out.

I have an uncle who had a bad finger injury, didn't want to turn it in to his insurance, so he wheeled and dealed on the bill and got them to reduce it if he paid cash when he left the hospital. :D

One other thing, if you have the "every woman matters" program where you live, and you go to get the free check ups, you might be able to get that Dr. to look at the lump and refer you, with the recommendation it get removed.

Anyway, I've learned it pays to do your homework, and don't be afraid to get out there and wheel and deal, and ask for help, you'd be surprised what you can get done!

:hug: Love ya!

dragonwoman64
01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm glad you found a place and got it checked out. such a relief, I'm sure! and I'm glad you're ok.

Onederchic
01-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks ya'll :)

Janelle - I am not getting married again :p

shcirerf
01-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Whew!

After my big long post, I was nervous to see your reply.:D

I hear ya on the married thing. Had the same one FOREVER. Love him, but if something happens, I'll be content hanging out with our dogs.:D

Anyway, hope you get it all worked out, and hope the lipoma doesn't cause you too much trouble. :hug:

weebleswobble
01-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Onederchic - I'm sorry that you had the bad exprience with the doctor at the free clinic. Many (not all, but many) of the doctors at free clinics are volunteers, spending their day off from their regular practice for no pay. He may have just been extremely emotionally and physically exhausted. Still, there is no excuse for a patient feeling less than human.

At the free clinic that I directed, we could not possibly have afforded to pay our doctors, and we were very grateful for every one that volunteered (even the cranky one)...but we always made sure that everyone was treated well going into and out of their apppointment.

I have five lipomas that I am waiting to see whether I want to have them operated on, and I do have insurance. My doctor tells me that the surgery is deep and invasive, that they may grow back, and that it's possible that they may subside with further weight loss. It is pretty scary to have lumps.

Onederchic
01-25-2010, 02:09 PM