Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #1  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Default non-diet based weight loss books?

I know there are tons of diet based weight loss books but I was wondering if you all have any recommendations for any other books of a similar nature? For example... I'm not looking for "The South Beach Diet" or anything like that. Maybe something about lifestyle changes, encouragement, excercising, etc etc etc. Anything you can think of really.
Anything??
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #2  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Read I'm Not The New Me by Wendy McClure. It is really funny whether you are trying to lose or not.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/170/150

Also the books by Jillian Michaels. I have read Wining by Losing. Good book.
AmandaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

My fave is New Rules of Lifting for Women, which covers lifestyle, diet, and rest as well as the obvious. If you're not interested in strength training, though, it's probably not for you.

One of the authors of NRoLW, Cassandra Forsythe, has a new book, The Women's Health Perfect Body Diet. I haven't read it, but it's getting rave reviews by bloggers I trust for its holistic and woman-centered approach.

// be strong
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm probably going to butcher the spelling of the author's name, but "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wasniak (?) was a big help to me on getting portions under control.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #6  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Don't sweat the small stuff (..and it's all the small stuff) ---I can't remember the author's name off the top of my head but the book shouldn't be hard to find on amazon.com
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #7  
Practicing Imperfection

Judith Beck's books--especially her first one. She applies cognitive behavioral therapy to the process of making changes in eating and health, and helps you practice dealing with sabotaging thoughts. There's a great Beck thread on 3FC as well, under General Diets I think.

I also second Brian Wansink's Mindless Eating--really interesting stuff.
Nuxmaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

I love *French Women Don't Get Fat*. It's a fun read and loosely extols the virtues of moderation and intuitive eating.

Mostly, though, it's just fun.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #9  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybjones View Post
Read I'm Not The New Me by Wendy McClure. It is really funny whether you are trying to lose or not.
I will have to look that one up, never heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaMary View Post
Also the books by Jillian Michaels. I have read Wining by Losing. Good book.
I've never seen TBL before so I am don't know much about JM. How do the books go for you, from what you have read of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
My fave is New Rules of Lifting for Women, which covers lifestyle, diet, and rest as well as the obvious. If you're not interested in strength training, though, it's probably not for you.

One of the authors of NRoLW, Cassandra Forsythe, has a new book, The Women's Health Perfect Body Diet. I haven't read it, but it's getting rave reviews by bloggers I trust for its holistic and woman-centered approach.

// be strong
I am very interested in strength training and firmly believe everyone should incorporate some into their weekly routines. And I will have to check out the Forsythe book too, I think that would be good for all of us in the household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
I'm probably going to butcher the spelling of the author's name, but "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wasniak (?) was a big help to me on getting portions under control.
I am a BIG mindless eater. I had to slowly curb mine by not buying chips, then transitioned to a small bag of popcorn, then cutting celery up into little bite sized bits, and then stopping the celery and I've been a whole week without mindless eating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post
Don't sweat the small stuff (..and it's all the small stuff) ---I can't remember the author's name off the top of my head but the book shouldn't be hard to find on amazon.com
I know a lot of people like this one, though I've never been interested in it. I'd have to glance through it for sure though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuxmaga View Post
Judith Beck's books--especially her first one. She applies cognitive behavioral therapy to the process of making changes in eating and health, and helps you practice dealing with sabotaging thoughts. There's a great Beck thread on 3FC as well, under General Diets I think.

I also second Brian Wansink's Mindless Eating--really interesting stuff.
I have been in Dialectal behavior Therapy (similar to cognative) since 2003 to deal with my Borderline Personality Disorder. I never thought about applying it to eating health. But I can see how my DBT can easily be applied to it. Are you familar with Marsha Linehan?? She has written a lot about CBT and DBT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
I love *French Women Don't Get Fat*. It's a fun read and loosely extols the virtues of moderation and intuitive eating.

Mostly, though, it's just fun.
I had heard of this in the past and wanted to read it, but had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #10  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto ... this book spends a lot of time on the real reason a lot of us have trouble losing weight - the mental part.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:25 AM   #11  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat was entertaining.

Good Calories, Bad Calories (Gary Taubes) has a good bit of science on weight gain/loss, but can sometimes get too far into the "carbs are Satan" territory.

Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food are great.

None of these are really "diet" books, but they all deal with the diety/nutritiony stuff on one level or another.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #12  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

I also liked Jillian Michaels Winning By Losing. It's broken down into three parts- basically dealing with the emotional/mental aspect and the science behind weight loss. there are some recipes and a lot of exercises in the back. I found the first two parts very helpful.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #13  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Beck Diet Solution, Body Esteem, Think Thin, Be Thin, and there are more but I can't think of the name.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote