Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Is It Possible To Drink Too Much Water?

AnnieDrews
01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't mean to the point of water intoxication!:dizzy:

I recently started drinking at least 64 oz. of water a day. I did this years ago, but just recently got serious again. I drink it usually in 16 oz. increments, 2 glasses in the morning, 2 glasses in the afternoon. I have surprisingly found myself wanting more water even after my "required" water has been drunk.

Is there a point where the body will start storing or retaining water? I want to keep a healthy balance as I am feeling good about the 64 oz. I seem to feel better (toxins flushed?) and think it has helped the weight start to come off.

Thanks for input.

shortandfluffy
01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
That is a good question. I have started trying to drink a good amount of water each day too and have started to actually crave it.

Hmmm... hope someone knows because I want to know too!

thinnerbyjuly
01-20-2010, 01:30 PM
I drink 2~ 70 oz jugs a day plus a few cups of coffee. I'm just always thirsty. Always have been- even as a kid.

smisen
01-20-2010, 01:37 PM
I've been seeing a lot of higher recommendations than 64 ounces lately - there are lots of doctor-types talking about 80-120 ounces being a better goal. I'm guessing there's an element of personal need in there too - I usually wind up closer to 120 ounces a day and I really feel dehydrated if I'm below that.

Experiment with it - drink a little more one day and a little less the next day and see how you feel. There's no way there's a uniform recommendation that works for everyone, so it's up to you to figure out what the right amount is for you.

zinkemomx2
01-20-2010, 01:55 PM
I've often heard about drinking half your weight in water a day. A 120 pound woman would need 60oz and my 268 pounds would need 134oz.

I know for me personally that if I don't drink at least 80oz a day I feel very dehydrated.

beerab
01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
From what I understand the more you drink the less your body will hold on to or store. Usually when people start drinking more water they go to the bathroom more often because the body has been hoarding but no longer needs to.

I have a friend who swears when she drinks too much water she gets bloated lol. I have told her a MILLION times that she's bloated cuz she doesn't drink ENOUGH water...

belezura
01-20-2010, 02:20 PM
check this out and see if it can help answering your question:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/166697-too-much-water.html

AnnieDrews
01-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the link, Belarusa. I am a bit more confused now. I just wonder if increasing water intake to above 64 oz. a day (along with the other fluids I take in) would be detrimental to my weight loss? Will try to do some research.

eroica27
01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
I did outside labor in Texas and the recommendation was that a person should drink half a gallon of water a day and when the temperature increases it should be a full gallon (spread out of course :smug:) it would be safer to drink smaller amounts over downing a quart twice a day. also foods, especially plants, do contain water that make up your daily water intake. make sure you are getting your electrolytes and salts too. If you don't overdo it on the salt, your body shouldn't hoard water. also cut back if after drinking water you feel slightly intoxicated.

Cheers!

Martina
01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
I don't know about water but you can definantly drink too much carbinated drinks. Paula (my ex-bfs Mom) went to the hospital and was put on a fluid restriction because she was drinking so many Dr. Peppers in one day. She would drink almost 24 cans a day and her body did not like that in the least bit. I don't know the ins and outs because too much other stuff was going on (she had her leg amputated about the same time for other reasons).

Me Too
01-21-2010, 09:34 AM
What are the symptoms of being dehydrated?
I too have started drinking at least 64 oz of water and then spend most of the day going to the bathroom. Sometimes I feel very bloated too, like I'm to full of water.
Can you drink to much water to fast in a short period of time?

AnnieDrews
01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
I have been drinking my dedicated 64 oz. as 2-16 oz. glasses in the morning and 2-16 oz. glasses in the afternoon. I don't want to be running to the bathroom all evening. The going to the bathroom doesn't bother me, I just see it as my body flushing out all the yuk in my system.