Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #1  
CD3

S/C/G: 223/211/150

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Sabotaging my own efforts - frustrated!

One of my biggest issues is I don't eat enough. I thought this was a dumb statement when my doctor said it but from all I've read and talking to a nutritionist, I guess I don't. Which frustrates me because what I do eat is primarily on the healthy side and yet I managed to end up over 200 lbs. The whole body not knowing when it's getting it's next meal and storing everything is really getting on my last nerve! I realize I'm sabotaging myself but I'm having a difficult time! I do good for a while making sure I eat regularly but then I realize that I did it again and somewhere along the line I messed up again!
Not sure how to proceed and sound like I'm whining about something rediculous but I'm never gonna reach my goals if I don't get it together! I can't be the only one with this problem, am I? I'm so mad at myself I could cry!
CD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I feel for you.....have you thought of counting calories or keeping track of points with something like weight watchers? That way, you'll be sure to eat enough if you know you have to reach a certain amount. Are you just not hungry or are you restricting yourself because deep down, you just don't believe that eating more would help you lose weight? Do you do cardio? Weight lifting/resistance bands? Exercise can boost metabolism. Have you had a blood test to check your thyroid function?

Sorry for all the questions. It may be helpful (if you can afford to) for you to see a nutritionist who could develop a menu for you. You can boost your calories in a healthy way by just making a few changes.

Hang in there....you can figure this out and once you do, you'll start to feel so much better!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Try to relax....now that you know what is wrong you can go about making a change.

I am not a nutritionist/doctor/health professional. This is based on my limited knowledge, and mostly simplty what I would do in your place.
You need to "reset" your metabolism. Let your body know that it is going to be getting healthy, nutritious food on a regular basis. I would set my calories goal at around 1800 for now, and make sure to eat your three main meals along with 2-3 snacks. Make sure you meals (and snacks) are balanced, with a protein, carb & veggie/fruit. Don't forget fat. Your body needs healthy fat. Olive oil & nuts are sources of good fat. Stick to this for a couple of weeks, even if you don't see any loss.

I'd also take a look at the "healthy" stuff you've been eating. Of course I have no idea what you've been eating ( ), but a lot of people seem to think if they are eating low fat, low sugar "diet" stuff that is healthy....and it just isn't so. I kind of go with this philosophy, "If it doesn't grow in the ground or have a mother, don't eat it". Definitely avoid processed stuff, even if it is "healthy".

I hope this helps.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

It might help you to plan it out a bit more carefully, so that you don't just skip eating during the day because of other things.

So, schedule 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. Put them at set times if you can. Eat something every 2-3 hours, and if you have to, set an alarm on your watch or your cellphone or whatever to tell you it's time.

It also helps to have a rough idea of your choices for each meal and snack. I don't mean you have to know exactly what you will eat each time--although some people do it that way--but it does help to have some different options to choose from when the time comes. For example, breakfast could be a lowfat yogurt with some fruit and a hard boiled egg. Or, it might be 2% cottage cheese on toast with some fruit. Or, oatmeal and a veggie patty. You can have these options or your choices around in advance, and figure out how many calories each combo contains.

Do that for every meal and snack, and of course make sure you've got what you need--or can get it easily.

This will help you avoid skipping meals and make better habits!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #5  

It really is frustrating at times! I find that when I plan my meals, I do a lot better. I'm a calorie counter and I write down every single thing I eat. It helps me feel a bit more in control of my efforts, and I can visually know if I need more calories (or fewer!). Keep trying, never give up. The time will go by either way, and you'll either be miserable that you quit or glad you stuck with it through the tough times!!
nitestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #6  
CD3

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to try - no I AM GOING TO incorporate them! I hadn't thought about setting an alarm but my cell phone is going to have a new function - reminding me to eat. I just had a bunch of tests run - thyroid included and it's fine. I agree that my metabolism needs to be reset. I know in order for that to happen I have to reset my habits. I'm really trying and for my health & family I have to succeed. I WILL succeed! What nitestar said is so true - the time will go by either way - so I'm not going to give up. I'll keep trying. I was just feeling really low & kinda alone I guess.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Maybe look at it from the other side...what are you doing that's causing you to forget or choose not to eat? Work on that instead.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Why not try eating some more calorie dense (but still healthy!) foods? Avocado, peanut butter, the whole egg instead of just the white, full fat milk/ cheese/ yogurt, etc.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #9  
CD3

Good point DCHound. Sobbering - less than happy point but good point. I think maybe there's a bit of denial on my part. I have struggled with food my entire life. As a teen I ended up being hospitalized to treat an eating disorder and I guess if I'm being honest I'm not as ok I'd like to believe. I'm not sure at this point it's me making a choice not to eat as it is an ingrained habit. That's why I liked the set an alarm suggestion because then I would have to think about and choose to not do it each time the alarm sounded.
I almost lost my husband a few years ago from a senseless, random attack and I found myself trying to eat away the pain, anger & insecurity with ice cream & doughnuts. When I realized what I had resorted to doing I then fell in the opposite direction & reverted to gaining control over what seemed like the only thing I could. I stopped eating almost anything. I've since made an effort to get back to doing things the right way but changing habits, as we all know, is so difficult. I'm trying, truely trying, it's just at times I feel like I'm on a path all alone and lonely sucks! When I eat it's mostly lots of veggies, fruit, yougurt, & I've added some protein shakes. I admitt I have a weakness for cheese. I haven't touched ice cream in almost a year. And I can't tell you the last time a doughnut crossed my lips! But like I said in the original post I do really good and then it hits me that I messed it all up again and haven't been eating regularly. It's a nasty circle
Sorry if this is all too much or I babbled too long when I started typing it just all came out.