Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default What motivates you?

On those really tough days... what gets you going?

Work has been really rough the past few days, I have a serious headache, I haven't gotten enough sleep so I'm tired and not least of all right now I'm at a point where I'm moody, bloated, craving food, very sensitive about my weight and mad at men in general

Help.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm not doing well either. I have chronic daily migraines and now, on top of everything, I'm in pain and awaiting a root canal tomorrow morning.

I love to have a t.v. show to watch at the gym so I just started watching LOST on my iTouch. If not, then good music helps a lot. For me, it's a matter of forcing myself to do just 10 or 15 minutes....once I get past those first few tough minutes, it starts to get a lot easier.

Another thing that helps is cute workout clothes. I know it's crazy, but if I am wearing something cute, it makes me want to do more.

Try to drink lots of water too....if you don't like water, maybe some Crystal Light. I have friends who swear by it.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 282/174/155

Height: 5" 6"

I love entering a lower weight into the treadmill it makes me smile AND I tell myself I never wanted to shop @ any plus size store again
boxermom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I'm always training for something - usually a running race. To meet my goals, I know I have to get my behind up and go. If I didn't have some kind of goal, it would be much easier to sleep in and let it slide ...

On the really rough days, I tell myself that I am just going to *start*. If I still feel awful, I tell myself I'll cut it short or make it lower intensity. Usually once I get going, I'm fine and complete the planned workout.

And I know when I'm done I'll feel SO much better!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #5  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

This is really silly, but it is a black shirt. I keep track of my workouts on Fitlinxx and the Y gives T-shirts when you hit certain (color-coded) levels. I am *this close* to earning a black shirt.

Whatever works.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #6  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

On low days I like to do workouts I consider fun to get me in the mood to workout. Like today, I feel kind of under the weather but when I go home I'm going to do some dancey step aerobics to get my spirits up. Hang in there!!!
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Saying to myself : "Just go out for 15 mins... " Once I'm warmed up, I can go further NP...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #8  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Thanks guys This really helped me out and I actually had a pretty good work out on Tuesday, then on Wednesday I had an even better one after I got home from an extended dog agility practice!

This place rocks
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #9  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

i use flyladys mantra that you can do anything in fifteen minutes!! and usually i can keep doing for 30 or 45 - in the 15 minute increments. if i'm really feeling terrible or sick- then at least i made it through fifteen minutes which keeps the habit up and is better then nothing!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #10  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

What motivates me is that I fear if I skip today, I'm going to skip tomorrow too... and I'll just start skipping whenever I want (which would be every day!)
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #11  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

What motivates me is setting a challenging fitness goal... First it was complete Couch to 5K before the end of 2009. Now it's get an hour of exercise in a day (average) for 2010.

When I'm grumpy/moody/gloomy/frustrated/anxious/whatever, even though it's nearly impossible to drag myself out, knowing that I will post my results somewhere keeps me going. Sometimes I get up and go just because I am falling behind (which - after a weekend of slugging around, I am now way behind for my month goal. Yikes!)

Also, having some structure. I find I don't do well with the vague notion of "going to exercise." So I take classes that meet regularly. And I am going to go through the C25K running program again, at a faster pace. The organization of that 9-week program (3x/week) really worked well for me when I did it. After that, who knows ... I'm going to have to think up some other kind of structured routine.

And the advice "do [whatever] for just 15 minutes" that several folks mentioned REALLY works! I need to remember this more often ....

Hope it's all coming together for you!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #12  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Aunty Jam: I am very motivated by lots of specific goals, really good music, non-food rewards, and telling others what my exercise plans are so that I am accountable.

EmmaD: If you look up a podcast called "PODRUNNER: INTERVALS -- Workout music for tempo-based exercise", they have a couch to 5k type thing called First day to 5 K. They continue after that with Gateway to 8 K and Freeway to 10 K. That might be good for you since you've already done C25K.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #13  

I have a routine after I workout where I shower and then have some cinnamon stick tea. When I really don't want to get started I visualize how I will feel in the hot soapy shower knowing I have done my workout and can have some tea and be relaxed.
jeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #14  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Ah, yes hot showers after workouts feel so good, don't they? (unless of course you've chafed something
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #15  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

If I need to get off my keester I walk the dog. once we get to the park I can let the leash extend out and he's always prompts me to move faster. I also have to remind myself why I went on a diet in the first place.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote