Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #1  

Default I hate to exercise and love to eat!!

Good Morning! I've been lurking here since I found this site a couple of weeks ago. I love this site!

I am a 45-year-old (just had a birthday last week), mother of two teenage boys and a silly yellow lab. I work fulltime and, as anybody out there knows, working fulltime and having kids active in sports and other activities, it seems like there are never enough hours in the day.

I've battled weight issues most of my adult life. A couple of years ago my DH and I decided to change our lifestyle to a more healthier one. I found better ways of cooking our favorite foods and cut back on the eating out and fast food (which takes some serious planning ahead). I started walking nearly every day--either on the treadmill, in my neighborhood, or at a local park. We both lost a lot of weight (50 pounds or so each). But, although we've been (pretty much) maintaining our healthy eating habits, we've stopped exercising and the pounds began to creep, creep, creep back on. I'm not quite up to where I was when we started our lifestyle change, but almost.

The walking was just too boring. Even listening to my audiobooks on my mp3 player while walking wasn't enough to keep me going. I kept finding different excuses to not walk until I just simply wasn't doing it anymore. So, now here I am, back in my 'fat' clothes and not happy about it at all. But, I'm doing something about it! "Santa Claus" bought the family a Wii for Christmas, and for my birthday last week, I bought myself the Wii Fit Plus. I have never had so much fun working up a sweat! I know the exercises aren't meant for a full-blown workout, but for me, just starting out, they are great! I can feel the results of the hula-hooping in my abdomen, I can feel the results of the bicycling and running in place in my calves (ouch, ouch ouch!!), and my arms are even sore from all that flying I've been doing! I'm doing about 30 minutes of aerobic activities each day and then winding down with about 30 minutes of balance activities. I have no interest in the yoga or strength training (too much like a workout video for me). In a few weeks I plan on adding weights to some of the activities to build muscle.

So, that's me in a nutshell. Thanks to all for your contributions thus far!!

Wiiki
Wiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Hi, Wiiki, welcome! I'm so glad you are here! Congratulations to you for choosing a healthier, happier lifestyle! The Wii sounds like so much fun, I'm so happy for you that you've found a fun way to exercise!

You know what I've noticed about exercise? I have this feeling that it helps suppress my appetite for a little while after I do it. Aerobic type exercise does that, I mean. Running for sure (way back when I was able to run, before my knees died) used to make me eat less afterwards.

I'll bet the pounds will come off for you now that you are exercising again!

I wish you the best of luck in your journey to better health!

I'm a newbie too. I love these boards, they are great!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #3  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Wiiki!
I think many of us lurk before joining - you really have your hands full but are back on track and have found your exercise groove, good for you -the support you need is here - we'll be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired. Try the 40 somethings and the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #4  

Thanks so much for the welcome and the kind, encouraging words! I'm looking forward to an awesome 2010!!
Wiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/217.2/130

Height: 5'4"

Wiiki - I love your profile picture. I have to tell you I almost cried when my Mii blew out her belly. Which reminds me...it's that time again...

Good luck to you!
thelastmartinis is offline   Reply With Quote