Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/135/120

Height: 5'4

Question Jogging--more effective than the gym?

My friend recently told me that jogging is more effective than working out at the gym. She says it works everything out-your abs, arms, legs and butt.
Has anyone have experiance with this? seeing faster/better results from jogging vs the gym?

Cece
seecece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #2  

I'm no expert in this but know enough to say the following...

Jogging is going to be more intense for a lot of folks than most gym cardio machines so it is a great form of cardio. In otherwords you are going to burn more calories per minute than other forms of low intensity cardio at the gym.

Jogging would not replace weight training.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #3  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I'm no expert, but I agree with randomcards.

Although jogging is superior in at least one respect-- its free!!!
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #4  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Jogging does a good job of toning as it whittles away the excess jiggly parts. I also do yoga and have done weights. I think as long as you mix it up your body will respond. Get a good pair of runners though, they are worth it, keeps you out of the physio's office.
AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/170/150

It is said that jogging is the quickest way to burn calories but it is also important to lift weights, etc. You can burn a lot while jogging and for weights you don't burn as much but as the day goes on your body is still burning from the weights during like a cool down.

I love my bodybugg! It gives me all this info. Best thing I have prob ever brought!!!!!!
AmandaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am a runner. Definitely gives me a great cardio workout--without any doubts there. I like it because it is doable everywhere (almost). It's cheap. It's always there. I also love the benefits of the Vitamin D I get from the sun. It lowers your risk for many serious diseases and helps depression.

But yes, you must add resistance of some sort for overall fitness.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

well I run - and I go to the gym.

I have to say that running helps with spin classes, spin classes help with running and weights help with BOTH. Same with the rowing machine helps with all three and then the paddling (dragonboat style) on top just helps all the others as well.

Cross training is the way to go - all exercises are good on their own, but mix them up, combine them and you're going to get results A LOT faster
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #8  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not able to jog, so it just wouldn't work for me. But if someone has the ability, I'd say it's an effective all-around exercise, though as randomcards pointed out, it wouldn't replace weight training.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #9  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Seems like a silly question, but what's the difference between running outside and running on a treadmill? I get a great workout on the treadmill and as I live in the city there aren't really any parks or nice places to run outside.

Would I get a better workout if I ran outside instead?
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I get a feeling of a better workout when I run on the treadmill, but I HATE running so I don't do it very often. I DO, however, burn more calories on the elliptical than I do while running for the same amount of time....according to my heart rate monitor.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyria View Post
well I run - and I go to the gym.

I have to say that running helps with spin classes, spin classes help with running and weights help with BOTH. Same with the rowing machine helps with all three and then the paddling (dragonboat style) on top just helps all the others as well.

Cross training is the way to go - all exercises are good on their own, but mix them up, combine them and you're going to get results A LOT faster
I really agree with this. Since I am not training to a specific goal (i.e. 10k or something) but overall fitness I try to do something different in the gym every day. This might not work for some, but I think it gives me a more complete workout. I try to at least have a week in between cardio workouts on the same machine, and even then I try to vary intensity (sometimes long and low/medium, sometimes high/low intervals, sometimes as high as I can go for only 15 minute bursts, whatever).
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayoneagain View Post
Seems like a silly question, but what's the difference between running outside and running on a treadmill? I get a great workout on the treadmill and as I live in the city there aren't really any parks or nice places to run outside.

Would I get a better workout if I ran outside instead?
Not necessarily. The difference is mainly terrain and pace variation and many people find it easier to go longer because it is less boring.

You can combat the terrain and pace variation by mixing it up on the treadmill. Hit a button every few minutes (speed or incline).
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote