View Full Version : Beef Barley Soup recipes

lighter
11-07-2000, 06:29 AM
2 carrots (6 oz total) chopped
1 onion (1/2 lbs) chopped
1 c. chopped celery
4 c. fat skimmed beef broth
1 c. quick cooking barley
1 lb. heat and serve cooked beef pot roast (Harris Ranch) (you could use your own left overs)

In a 4 - 5 quart pan over high heat.combine carrots, onion, celery, broth, barley and 2 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots and barley are tender to bite. 15 - 20 minutes

Discard any solidified fat from pot roast and sauce. Scrape sauce from meat into pan. Cut beef into 1/2 inch pieces and add to pan. Simmer, covered until hot. About 3 minutes. Ladle into soup bowls.

Serves 6 about 1 cup each 5 pts
Per serving: 252 Calories 6.9 g fat
4/2 g fiber

From Sunset Magazine.

------------------

Ann P

MrsDomino
01-03-2001, 12:54 AM
1 pound boneless lean beef, cubes (18 points)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (4 points)
1 teaspoon salt (0 points)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper (0 points)
1 teaspoon ground/chopped garlic (0 points)
2 (14.5 ounce) cans of beef broth (2 points) I used College Inn brand
6 1/4 cups water (0 points)
4 stalks celery, chopped (0 points)
1 cup chopped carrots (1 point)
1/2 cup chopped onion (0 point)
1/4 cup dried parsley (0 point) called for 1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 cup quick cooking barley (8 points)
1 teaspoon dried thyme (0 points) hmmmmm, I think I forgot this.....

In a skillet over medium head, saute the beef in the oil for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in the salt, pepper and garlic. Add the broth, water, celery, carrots, onion and parsley. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender. Add the quick cooking barley and cook as directed on the package. (my directions were to add at a boil and simmer for 12 minutes) Add the thyme just before serving. (Like I said, I forgot the thyme.)

This was really good. I don't like vegetables but this was a good mix of the ones I can tolerate in small portions.

Total recipe was 33 points and I had more than 10 cups of soup. I counted each cup as 3 points.

JaneStarr
08-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Use olive, canola, safflower or sunflower oil in this recipe and it will count as a "Core" food on the new plan. Just remember that these healthy oils are limited to 2 tsp/day under the Core Plan. Any more than 2 tsp has to be counted in your weekly points allowance.

(I didn't include the flax oil even though it is also Core, because it is not for cooking; it breaks down under high temps.)

Jane