Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/157.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Default The force is strong with this one ...

The saga begins over 25 years ago. I can still remember eating 9 pieces of cinnamon toast at day care, and I think I was around 7 or 8. My parents kept us in sports my entire life (which is my saving grace). I was 155 lbs and 5'0" in eighth grade. I managed to grow 6 inches in ninth grade and my weight fell to 135. I was active and played both soccer and basketball throughout high school. I still weighed 155 lbs junior year and ballooned to 175 pounds my senior year. I had starting working at Baskin Robbins and was either eating ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner or swapping ice cream with the pizza guys next door for pizza after pizza. I LOVED fast food. I would go through the drive thru and consume an entire meal and then go through a different drive thru and get another full meal. Although I could last an entire soccer game - 90 minutes of running while play center mid-field, I was 190 lbs when my senior season was finished.

My freshman year I literally lost the "freshman 45." I had started smoking and drinking coffee. I also fell in love for the first time and the combination of nicotine, caffeine, and neurotransmitters made me forget to eat. I know the "healthy" weight loss plan we all strive for. Well, I managed to keep most of it off for many years fluctuating between 145 and 155-160 ish.

I also joined the Army where it is a requirement I step on the scale everytime I take a PT test. In August 2008, I decided to quit smoking. The weight started to creep back on. Then in November, I met my (now) very significant other. Seriously, when you start eating every meal with a male, you start consuming portions that are as big as his portions (big mistake). Then, DH deployed, and I immediately started Officer Basic Course. Ten weeks of a super stressful environment and DH in a combat zone sent my eating through the roof. I went home on leave and stepped on the scale and almost died when it read 173 (a full ten pounds over my screening weight).

My absolute first goal was to meet screening weight (163 lbs). I'm there and I can say I am honestly relieved. Now that I don't have to worry about failing height/weight for my job. (I would have passed the tape test / body fat, but I did not want to chance my career). I always do well on the PT test because I was fit but heavy.

I love to run and at 173 running had start to hurt. When I realized I was running less, I knew I needed to lose weight so my feet, knees, and joints would not be sore from the added pounds.

My DH comes back soon so I am at weight he left at right now, but I have 38 days to drop another 5-7 pounds before he comes here to see me. I am going to join the Valentine's Day Challenge with a request for an eleven day extension.

I was once told perfection is the enemy of good enough and "perfection" has stymied many of weight loss goals before. Having quit smoking, I know I have the ability now to take it one pound at a time. Turning thirty made me start turning the ship around towards health. Now, I just have to complete the circle with a healthier diet.

Imagine how much quicker I would complete my 5k/ 10k / 10-milers if I lost the excess baggage?? That is my real motivation!!

Last edited by expatlady; 01-17-2010 at 10:21 PM.
expatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #2  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi expatlady!
How smart to make your priority health and not just a number - I have no doubt that you will be successful in achieving your goals - what a great welcome home surprise for hubby - the support you need is here .

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired - you'll be a wonderful addition to any of them, sharing your insight and can-do attitude with others. Try the 30 somethings and the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote