South Beach Diet - palm sugar?

View Full Version : palm sugar?

lentilbean
01-17-2010, 05:54 PM
i've been hearing a lot about palm sugar lately. apparently it is lower on the GI than agave nectar. does anybody know if this is this an acceptable sweetener for SBD? (i searched the forms for palm sugar and nothing came up.)

kaw
01-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Palm sugar has a GI of 35, compared to cane sugar (68), honey (55), and agave (42). Its lower GI is probably due to the trace amounts of protein, fat, and iron it contains: 0.1g of each per 5g of palm sugar

But, it's still sugar.

be strong//

Jlyne327
07-28-2010, 12:44 AM
I've been using it because I can't use artificial sweeteners. (I get massive headaches from aspartame and my mom is extremely allergic, so I don't mess around with that stuff.)
Here's the Nutrition Facts for 1 tablespoon
Calories 15 (61 kJ)
% Daily Value 1
Total Fat 0g 0%
Sat. Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium < 0.1mg < 0.1%
Total Carbs. 3.7g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 3.7g
Protein 0g
Calcium 0mg

CyndiM
07-28-2010, 06:51 AM
I started using it last winter for mock snack cake. We love it and use it the same way we use agave - in moderation. So far no cravings for me and no blood sugar spikes for my diabetic DW. Remember that like agave it is about 50 cal. per T and is still sugar so use sparingly and watch for any cravings or other problems you might have.

*Obviously this is just one Chick's experience and isn't an official South Beach or 3FC interpretation :)

*hmm, just noticed the nutritional info from Jlyne327. my bag (Sweet Tree) has those numbers for one teaspoon. Is yours a blend? What brand do you buy? I'm always looking for new things to check out :)