South Beach Diet - Need help!! Starving

View Full Version : Need help!! Starving

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I just started phase 1 today and for breakfast I had 1 serving of All Bran Bran Buds (1/3 cup) with milk and 2 eggs. I was still hungry so I had some string cheese...I am still hungry. Should I have another serving of cereal? I dont know what to do..

Also I feel like I have been hungry most of this diet. I eat plenty when its time but then I am starving an hour later. I havent gone OP but I am thinking I just might.

At the end of phase 1 I lost a grand total of 1.8 lbs.

I hate my body

fitbyforty
01-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I am not too familiar with South Beach but I just looked up some info,are you supposed to have bran buds.What I read said no cereals hot or cold on phase 1.

CyndiM
01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Eek, just reread your post! I thought you started Phase 2. It's really important that you read the book and the food lists. Phase one does not include any grains.

Once you do get to Phase 2 this is not a cereal we would add. It contains high fructose corn syrup.

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 12:53 PM
sorry I meant I started phase 2 today..

CyndiM
01-17-2010, 12:56 PM
I thought I recognized you :) See my note about this cereal.

For now I'd go for a snack of refried beans & salsa. Sounds like cereal is not a good choice for you right now, though it's hard to tell given the ingredients of these. Stick to Phase 1 foods the rest of the day and watch for cravings. Eat what you need to but stick with veggies, lean proteins & beans. Tomorrow if you are craving free try another Phase 2 addition at a different time of day.

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 12:59 PM
This cereal was on the list that was posted.....

but why am I always hungry?

Lexxiss
01-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Hi

Others will chime in but here's the ingredient list;
Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal

Cereal with natural wheat bran and psyllium.
� View nutrition information
Sizes
17.7 oz
Ingredients
WHEAT BRAN, SUGAR, PSYLLIUM SEED HUSK, OAT FIBER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SALT, BAKING SODA, CARAMEL COLOR, SODIUM ASCORBATE AND ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D, BHT (PRESERVATIVE), ANNATTO COLOR.

With sugar as the second ingredient, and HFCS, it looks like it's not a choice for P2. I don't know how sensitive you are to HFCS, but from what I hear from other's it's a huge issue. Cold cereals never leave me satisfied, but only wanting more.

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I found the cereal in this list http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/2862471-post85.html so I thought it was alright..Am I wrong?

siobhanmc
01-17-2010, 01:10 PM
This cereal was on the list that was posted.....

It doesn't matter what is or isn't on the list if it doesn't work for you. And obviously if you are still hungry after eating it then it doesn't work for you. For myself, eggs in the morning never satisfy me whereas I can have them in the afternoon and feel satisfied.

CyndiM
01-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I found the cereal in this list http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/2862471-post85.html so I thought it was alright..Am I wrong?

I've learned the hard way that companies change recipes so you need to always check ingredients. Sorry your first Phase 2 day is so rough :(

Have you posted menus yet? Maybe we can give you some ideas. You should not be hungry on SBD, that's one of my favorite things about it. I eat lots of high density veggies (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc), beans, and lf dairy. How much water are you drinking?

Lexxiss
01-17-2010, 01:16 PM
I find I have to check nutritional info myself. There are just so many products.

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 01:17 PM
I posted menus in my previous post if you remember.. I do pretty darn well with eating my veggies. I have been drinking 64 ounces of water daily and also including milk.

Cyndi- dont you mean phase 2? ;-)

CyndiM
01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
One of my favorite "tricks" is vegetable soup. What WW folks call free soup. Make a big pot of soup with a ff, low sodium broth base (check for hidden sugars, as always). toss in as many low glycemic veggies as you want. I like cabbage, asparagus when I have it, mushrooms, canned, diced tomatoes, and onions. When I'm rushed for time I use cole slaw or broccoli slaw mix :) I like spicy foods so add chili paste, hot sauce of some salsa to zip it up. You can eat a bowl of this anytime you need to. It's filling and satisfying and helps get your veggies in.

ETA - I'm rushing to get ideas out :) I thought I'd seen menus from you before. Probably gave the same suggestions already. I also drink closer to 100 oz of water a day. I don't know which piece works for me but I am rarely hungry. I suspect the beans are the major factor because they are so filling.

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 01:21 PM
how long do you cook it on the stove for?

CyndiM
01-17-2010, 01:23 PM
how long do you cook it on the stove for?

Just until the veggies are the texture I want. I'm actually eating a bowl now :)

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I will have to try that....thanks...

I am soo ready to give up.

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Maybe its the beans..I am gonna go to the store today and buy a whole bunch of them.

Do you stick to the serving size they say in the book? or do you go over that?

CyndiM
01-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Check all your bean cans, some companies add sugar.

Start with half cup servings and see how you feel. I often eat beans at every meal, usually one serving. You want to give your digestive system a chance to adjust too ;)

You can always decide this is not the plan for you. You are still learning some great skills that you can apply in another way. I'm not a believer in the one size fits all weight loss approach. Everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. I will say that, in your case, given your reaction to that cereal this plan might be perfect for you. It certainly appears you are extra sensitive to HFCS and maybe processed sugars in general. If you don't stick with SBD I'd strongly encourage you to find some plan based on the glycemic index that you can follow. FWIW :)

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 01:36 PM
I will definitely add more beans. I think they will help alot.

I usually go between this plan and the WW plan...but I will give this plan 2 more weeks and see what happens. I think this is the third time I went on this plan.

Thanks ladies. I really appreciate the help. Will keep you updated!

ScrappyWyf
01-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi MzThang! I am also starting Phase 2 this week and managed to get thru P1 with minimal hunger pangs. It takes a lot of tweaking of foods to see how well your body responds, but when you get it right, it'll be awesome.

Might I suggest starting with a menu plan for each meal/snack of the day for 1 week. It takes some getting used to and some time at first, but it'll get easier. Use the great recipes here on 3FC for SBD, they really took me a long way and are tasty! Also use Kayln's recipes- google and she'll pop right up- also good, though for me at least, some recipes are more involved than I can handle (3 little ones under foot!!!) for now. I keep it simple and rotate good recipes/food.

As for filling up, mix a protein source with a fiber source. I usually top off my bfast w/coffee, which somehow seals my tummy until late AM. It works for me, and that's key. What works for YOU, as an individual. Best of luck and please join the thread for this coming week for menus. I don't know if it's posted yet, but I hope it will be, as it has really kept me on track.

Best wishes and don't lose faith! You can do this!

ajowens
01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Just from person experience from dieting in general... carbs in the morning lead to a hungry day. If I stick to a fruit and protein or just protein I feel great most of the day. Nights will always be hard for me but this tip really helps! Also if you eat something like 1/2 and orange in the morning it helps regulate your blood sugar level so that you aren't craving sweets through the day.

femmecreole
01-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Ok, here it is,...if you are hungry, eat!!!..go grab some veggies or beans.

If the cereal in the morning made you hungry, then you just figured out something...no grains in the morning. I am one who can't eat anything like cereal or oatmeal in the morning....it makes me ravenous all day. So, on a work morning, I eat a turkey and spinach sandwich on either flatout or ezekiel bread. I add other veggies to it too when I have leftovers from dinner the night before. Then I eat a piece of fruit. Keeps me going for hours with no hunger. Although, it does have grains in the bread, the bulk is veggies, then protein, then fruit with the grains of the bread being the least. make sense?

Now, I CAN eat cereal at night with no problems at all. I can eat grains with dinner or lunch with no problems...just not in the morning.

You can also eat leftover dinner for breakfast! I had pizza this morning cause it was in the fridge and quick (whole grain crust, spinach, olive oil, shrimp and artichoke) Then I had a bannana. weird but filling and long lasting.

This whole phase 2 beginning is going to be experimentation to see what makes you hungry, what time it makes you hungry, switching times you eat what etc...so don't panic. You'll find out what your body wants and when it wants it as you go along!! No rush, no trama, no drama. Listen to what your body is telling you and this morning it told you not to eat cereal for breakfast!

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I thought of it differently..maybe I just didnt eat enough of the cereal..1/3 cup was not that much. Maybe I should have had a double serving.. no?

femmecreole
01-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Nope...a 1/3 cup is a serving.
see:
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-all-bran-buds-i8005

8 grams of sugar...ouch!..if you double that, it's 16 grams...
the 8 grams of sugar probably set you off and 16 grams would put you way over the edge.

This article may be helpful
http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/why-blood-sugar-matters/article36369-1.html

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Then maybe I should try a different cereal.. I just dont want to give up my cereal..I love it too much

femmecreole
01-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Sure! try experimenting with another cereal like Ezekial....just check the sugars in it before buying. Then if a no/low sugar cereal makes you hungry, then you'll know it's just timing. Try it another day later in the day and see what that does to you. It may effect you completely differently.

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Oh okay..I am ok with that..I will go out today and get a new one..Thanks!!!!

Got another question
If the new correct cereal makes me hungry do I generalize that to no grains in the morning or can I try oatmeal next for breakfast?
Sorry about all the questions but this is about the time I would normally give up and I dont want to do that this time

CyndiM
01-17-2010, 04:43 PM
If the no sugar added cereal causes you problems then you probably need to wait for a few months before trying a grain in the morning. I know that's not your first choice but it may be your body's choice right now. I was one of those people who could not have a grain in the morning without having hunger problems all day. After about 9-10 months I tried again and had no problem though I always have to have a protein with my grain. As Cat said just keep testing and noting your body's reaction then adjust as necessary. You will find the combination that works for you right now.

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 04:45 PM
That makes sense..Thanks!

ajowens
01-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I love cereal too but if you are like me... you have to give it up in the morning. I can eat it at dinner or for a snack but not breakfast. Just try a few days with protein breakfast and see how you feel. Eat cereal just not in the AM. Maybe??

Mzthang77
01-17-2010, 04:54 PM
What do you guys eat for breakfast? I will usally have eggs with chopped up veggies but I find it takes time to chop up the veggies and cook the eggs on the stove. I have a baby and I was hoping to find quick ways to have breakfast

femmecreole
01-17-2010, 05:01 PM
I have the sandwich I mentioned above for my work day breakfast. I make my breakfast and lunch the night before and pack it up in the mornings before heading to the gym at 5. Get to work about 7.
On the weekends I go all out. Ezekial toast with spinach on top of that, eggs on top of that, mozzarella on top of that, bruschetta or salsa on top of that and fresh herbs on the very top and some kind of fruit salad all cut up pretty.

Frittatas are great too. I like to make them with whatever I have in the fridge...leftovers! Great way to get rid of a "little of this and that" you have sitting in there. They make a great dinner with a salad, then the leftover frittata and some fruit make a dynamite breakfast...just nuke it. My husband and I can get a few meals from one big frittata.

On the chopped up veggies...what i like to do is make a big old pot of "smothered" veggies once a week...whatever is in season. This week I smothered down some squash, zuchinni, eggplant, red peppers and onions in some evoo and creole seasoning. Then I have it to add to breakfast, or sandwiches, on top of fish, chicken etc. Adds more taste and veggies to other foods.

CyndiM
01-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I make a big pot of refried beans on the weekend then during the week I quick scramble an egg and eat it with the beans, salsa and either nuked frozen spinach or sauteed veggies depending on time. I like Cat's idea of roasting a pan of veggies on the weekend but we would probably eat them all the first night ;)

Lexxiss
01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
I chop lots of veggies at one time, stashing them in a container in the fridge. It's my mainstay for my lunch salads, but they could certainly be used for breakfasts.

tammies00
01-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I just made a large pan of roasted veggies. I use these for eggs, lunches, and or dinners. I did this last week too and it really helped.

Tammie

ajowens
01-17-2010, 07:44 PM
I do celery with pb and 2 boiled eggs or scrambled eggs with non fat cheddar and salsa on top.

briggsy13
01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
I was just gonna say that beans have made a huge difference for me with this way of eating. They really fill me up. Cold cereal has never done much for me as far as filling goes. I only eat it as a snack and haven't eaten it since doing south beach. I'm gonna make another batch of baked oatmeal this week. This is cool cause its premade and I can just eat my square of oatmeal instead of having to cook anything.

Heidi58
01-17-2010, 09:40 PM
My mornings are super busy, too.

I cook 4-6 servings of steel cut oats on the weekend and put it in the fridge so that I can just pop a serving in the microwave for a minute on weekday mornings.

Some mornings I don't want to take the time to sit down with the bowl of oats, or I'm just not in an oatmeal mood, so those days I have a turkey and cheese roll up with a can of v8 or a reduced fat cheese stick with a can of v8 or a serving of nuts and a can of v8 and eat as I'm checking email or getting ready to leave.

And like the others, some mornings I reheat leftovers for breakfast.

Tryin2LoseIt
01-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Last time I did SBD, I had trouble with breakfast because I never leave myself enough time to cook/eat it before work! So, this time, I planned ahead... I bought a ton of veggies and lf cheese yesterday and chopped all the veggies. This morning I poured some egg beaters in a bowl, added all the veggies I wanted, nuked it for 2 minutes, and it was great!

Cereal also makes me hungry all day if I eat it in the morning. I stick with as much fiber/protein as I can in the morning. I also plan my morning snack for about an hour or hour and half after breakfast, cause if I can stop that hungry feeling then, I am good all day! No hunger!

Mzthang77
01-18-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm gonna make another batch of baked oatmeal this week. This is cool cause its premade and I can just eat my square of oatmeal instead of having to cook anything.

Where is the recipe for this baked oatmeal? I would love to try that!

Mzthang77
01-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Last time I did SBD, I had trouble with breakfast because I never leave myself enough time to cook/eat it before work! So, this time, I planned ahead... I bought a ton of veggies and lf cheese yesterday and chopped all the veggies. This morning I poured some egg beaters in a bowl, added all the veggies I wanted, nuked it for 2 minutes, and it was great!

I was thinking about doing that but I thought the veggies would go bad somehow after they are chopped. I will try that too..Thanks.

Thanks guys for all your wonderful ideas. Hopefully something will work

Ruthxxx
01-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I just did a search in out Recipe Forum and came up with 20 posts re oatmeal. Check it out.
Here's the Baked Oatmeal one. (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-2/83187-baked-oatmeal.html)

I think I'll close this thread as I'm sure you are no longer starving. :rofl: Please start a new thread or post in the OP thread if you have further questions.