PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #1  
The best is yet to come!!

S/C/G: 200/200/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Fatigue, weakness, nausea if I don't eat....

Ok, I may be in the wrong place....or maybe not. I was given a passing diagnosis of PCOS a few years ago when I was having an uncontrollable bleeding thing. Never really got a real reason for why it happened once a year for two years, but I was peri-menopausal at the time. Now for the last 6 months my blood tests indicate I have reached the revered status of menopausal. Further info, I had severe fertility issues in my younger years, multiple ovarian cysts (yeah, poly....hmm, you'd think someone might have mentioned this earlier since my first of many hospitalizations was at the age of 16), and was told when I was in my 20's if I ever wanted kids I'd better get to it! I did conceive one child when I was 29, and it took 3 1/2 years and numerous interventions!

As to insulin resistance, I've strongly suspected for awhile but my dr's not much on hormone testing. Grrrrrrr. But I have something new going on...and now I'm wondering what could be linked to what!

If I don't eat pretty soon after getting up (and I meat EAT...no little snack will do), I get weak, dizzy, nauseated, and feel really really sick. I mean so sick that I'm afraid I'm about to pass out. I've been in public a couple of times and had to hold my head in my hand and nibble pretzels or crackers before I was able to walk or function. This has been escalating for about a year I'd say. And now it's really ramped up. It's all day long. I can eat a good breakfast but might get busy and not manage to eat before evening. And all of a sudden, I'm spinning again.

Anyone able to relate to any of this craziness?? Please fill me in!
MsJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

YES!

I find that it's really random, but typically happens in the morning. I used to work 12 hour shifts at an Urgent Care Clinic. There were a few times where I had to have someone else draw blood because I was shaking so bad. I find it helps to mix protein and carbs for breakfast and to make sure I take my metformin.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Mention it to your doctor, but it may be related to blood sugar - either low blood sugar, or a sudden drop in blood sugar (but still in the normal range). It may or may not be dropping to a low enough level to warrant more careful management. Some blood sugar issues need to be more closely monitored than others - so your doctor may want you to periodically check your blood sugar, or may just suggest what you've already found helpful - when you start to feel that way, eat something with some simple carbs to it (a little starch or sugar).

This happens to me fairly frequently. There are a few reasons: I've always been prone to it when dieting (I've even passed out cold, from it). Now I'm on blood sugar lowering medication (metformin), and I'm eating relatively low-carb, and low-calorie, so my blood sugar numbers are running much lower (I have less "extra" sugar circulating in my blood to spare).

Last edited by kaplods; 01-16-2010 at 07:06 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #4  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

I noticed you said the problem seemed to be helped by munching a few crackers, and that rang a bell for me. I don't know how they test for this, but your problem may not be your insulin, but your glucose. I have a problem where my liver does not produce enough glucose, and my pancreas (like most PCOS women) produces too much insulin, so, as I am taking Metformin, my insulin does too good of a job.

For me the solution is to make sure to get small amounts of carbs throughout the day. Not any carb will do, mind, veggies, while very healthy, do not usually metabolize quickly enough to deal with this problem. If you are on a highly restrictive diet that keeps you from eating a lot of carbs, try to get less at meals and keep a bottle of watered-down juice to sip on when you start to feel queasy.

Personally, I try to have some form of easy-to-digest carb at every meal, such as a reasonable portion of rice, pasta or other grain, (whole-grain will work, too) with a couple of snacks with small amounts of carbs throughout the day. For some of your snacks, as long as you don't have blood-pressure issues, I recommend beef or chicken jerky, as it is mostly protein with just enough simple carbs to take care of your glucose levels. Also, keep a bag of starlight mints, or other hard candy within easy reach for when you just can't get to something better. Usually one piece (25 cal.) gives me a half-hour or so to go find something more nutritious.

Last edited by eratosthanes; 02-14-2010 at 11:04 PM.
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote