Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #1  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Default Stupid work food-pushers!

OK, it's not really as bad as the title suggests, but close. I am the school nurse at an elementary school, and this week I have turned down the following foods at work:
- pizza (which was plated up and literally shoved under my nose)
- Milano cookies
- Girl Scout cookies
- Sweet donut-like pastries (not sure what they are called, from a hispanic bakery)
- Barbeque beef sandwich

I mean, seriously people! This is friggin ridiculous! I feel like a have to walk around constantly on the defensive so I can hurriedly reject food before someone stuffs it in my throat. I can't really blame them, I haven't talked about my new eating plan except to my one good work friend, but still!

Not only this, but my lunch buddy has been on a fast food binge this week and I had to watch her eat Popeye's fried chicken (the smell almost did me in), Jack in the Box, mexican, etc.

Somehow, I stayed OP and did not indulge. Very proud, but exhausted from trying to politely decline food. Thank God I am off tomorrow thru Monday so I can have a BREAK from the pushers, LOL! Anyone else fight this battle?
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

There has been a lot of food pushing in my office lately, too. It is so hard to resist.

Nice work staying on plan!

Cheers,

J

Last edited by LotusMama; 01-14-2010 at 09:42 PM.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Good for you for resisting. I have food pushers too! I hate the "It won't hurt for you to have this just this ONCE." Stay strong!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

YES!!! OMG people are ridiculous with food. If I were you, I would bring in a particularly healthy and tasty treat, and ask people to eat it. You could say, "Yeah, this is a new fav of mine, I've been learning how to cook healthy for the past few weeks." I've down that before, and it not only calmed down the food insanity... It also inspired some of my peers/coworkers to eat healthier (or at least say they were), too. Congrats for turning all that down, you overcame a lot of challenges this week! I probably would have caved.
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Oooo and another thing. I work at a bakery (Great Harvest Bakery, btw! check one out in your city, if you've got one!) and lots of well-intentioned (or promotion-seeking) people stop by in the mornings to get a dozen baked goods for the office. Lately, I've been pointing them to the low-cal, high fiber, delicious muffins that we have (cherry oatbran and oatberry... mmmmm) and asking if they want a print off of the nutrition facts. Not everyone's a taker, but more people think it's a good idea. A lot of people can also be talked into getting a loaf of our whole grain bread for the health conscious people. Not everyone wants to start their day with an 800-calorie breakfast that's all sugar and butter. Come on!!!
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Oh man, schools are the worst with food pushing. I'm a sub so I always tell myself all those goodies in the teacher's lounge are not for me, they're for the regular staff. But all too often they make sure I know I'm more than welcome to their goodies. I need to not be welcome to it!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #7  
Oh buddy, it's on!

Ugh, I encountered this very same issue today! My manager knows I'm trying to eat healthier yet he asks me today if I want a white chocolate macadamian nut cookie! I said to him, "No, you jerk! You know I don't want one!" And that was that. I put my foot down so hopefully he won't try to pull that stuff on me again!

Nurse, good for you for resisting so many temptations!!!!
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #8  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I think almost anyone who works is stuck with this problem. We have snacks all the time at work and it's just a matter of pretending they're not there and ignoring them.

Good for you for not weakening in the face of food and "pushers!"
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 227/Ticker/147

Height: 5'5"

Yes, I deal with this on a daily basis! I work at a bank and for some reason, people just feel the need to bring food and share. We are surrounded by fast food places and restaurants and I have had to turn down doughnuts, peanut brittle, pizza, ice cream, and to celebrate birthdays (which are at least once a month) they bring in queso and cake and snacky things! It is getting easier to resist because I'm seeing results in my new routine and determined not to go off plan, but you're right it is exhausting having to constantly turn down food. I've even blatantly told them no because I am trying to lose weight and they still try to get me to at least "try" some. Yeah right!
fashinjunkie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #10  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

One of the volunteers at work, who has a little crush on me and keeps trying to get my attention, brought in a big batch of cookies he'd baked and I literally had to go into the ladies room and holler at him through the locked door to get that **** out of my office right now!!!! He all but literally shoved one into my mouth. Geez, and they call me a food ****.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #11  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

My boss's wife is like the best cook in the world, and now and then drops stuff at the office.

I found, I can take the food, set it aside, while thanking her and saying "I'm busy at the moment, but I'll enjoy it later"

Later, well, I don't eat it. I've thrown it out, stuffed in my lunchbox, cuz they were looking, then trashed it later, gave it away, shared with customers, or whatever.

Last Christmas she brought cheesecake to die for, along with nutrition info, OMG! I did take one bite, bagged up the rest, took it across the street to my son and h is buddies at the state patrol. Wonder of wonders, these guys were getting ready for SWAT annual physical and training, they drooled, but said they couldn't eat it. So I explained the deal to them and threw it in the dumpster outside their office. Collaborated with the patrol guys, she still thinks they ate it! lol.

900 calories a slice! The stuff was darn near better than sex, but hey, at least sex burns calories!

Last edited by shcirerf; 01-14-2010 at 11:57 PM.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 AM   #12  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

With me the food pushers are not at work. They are family members. Often the same family members who then rag on me for not sticking to my diet!

Even my husband constantly offers me food. Ten minutes after I turn it down, it's "Are you sure you don't want any?" This makes me mad, because I shouldn't have to say No more than once! But the other family members do this too. I turn it down and turn it down, and they keep on asking if I'm sure.

Why do they do this?
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/205.8/130

Height: 5' 4"

I dont know they are family members its what they do. Maybe they feel bad because they have to eat it all and your not eating any. It does get kind of annoying when you are asked over and over again though lol

btw I work in fast food talk about turning down food. Im surrounded by food all day(which after you work there awhile the food is kinda eh not so good so its easy to turn down) anyways.. I work with mostly mexicans who bring in food to share all the time. Its so good and I know their food is good which makes it harder to turn down. If I do turn it down I feel bad because then they are like oh she ate it before but not now what the.. is it my cooking? did she lie last time and tell me it was good and it wasnt? so then i have to explain the whole eating plan thing and they still dont believe me!!
daybyday10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #14  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

It's nice to know that I am not the only one dealing with this! It is so hard when the stuff is sitting there staring you in the face, or when people keep telling you "you know there is food in the conference room, right", "did you get your sandwich yet, there is one in there for you", etc.

The hardest part for me is not wanting to appear ungrateful. Yesterday my principal got bbq beef sandwiches, chips, etc for everyone on staff. I stuck with my lunch of a turkey burger patty, grilled onions, mushrooms and bellpeppers and a side salad. OF COURSE he walks into the breakroom while I'm eating and stops in his tracks when he sees me eating. Says "you know you have a meal in there for you". I replied "I chose to stick with the lunch I brought, but I appreciate your thoughtfulness". He did not say anything else but I felt like an ungrateful poop. Why should I feel guilty? In my head I know I should not, but I still do. Ugh.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #15  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

My 'pushers' are at work also. We celebrate birthdays with a dessert chosen by the birthday person... also, we have potlucks every now and again, not to mention the morning donuts brought in and desserts...
I usually use an excuse - I don't like cake. I don't eat red meat or pork. I can't have the red sauce on the pizza because it upsets my stomach. I LOVE salad. - All of these are actually true for me, but I know that the red sauce on the pizza won't hurt me if I have one slice.. but who needs to know that? Or that I will eat cake, but only if it's white with white frosting... but again, who needs to know that? It's much easier because then nobody offers me these things since they already know I "can't" eat them.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote