Dieting with Obstacles - When the doctor is supportive, but....

LovebirdsFlying
01-14-2010, 12:23 AM
...then family members tear down whatever self-esteem the professionals have managed to restore---what do you do?

I have been reassured the following, by more than one medical professional:

--Some people's bodies just won't let them lose weight.
--If you don't already have the genetic predisposition, you cannot make yourself diabetic no matter what you eat.
--Some people can do everything "right" and still have a hard time losing weight.

Then along comes my mother who dismisses it all with "They're just telling you what you want to hear."

My husband's question for me would be, "When are you going to stop listenting to your mother?"

But.... it's my mother. I've always been taught to listen to my mother.

Thighs Be Gone
01-14-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't typically discuss weight issues with anyone. On rare instances, I will share information in a known safe environment when I am asked specific questions. I come to 3FC for discussion. I assume you do not want to debate the points you make so I won't begin to.

So you have always listened to your mother? Well, if you want something different than you have to make things different--Regardless of what medical professionals or your mother is telling you. Maybe it is time to look inward and find your assurance within yourself--not from your mom--not from the professionals? You know what you must do. It really doesn't need discussion at all.

Sskar
01-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Honor your mother - just don't listen to her about weight loss. The best source of advice is on these boards from those going through and especially from those who have succeeded. Smile at your mom and tune her out - remember being a teenager? :)

If you are fully committed to changing your life style then making a plan will have to include dealing with your mom. Sounds like your husband can be helpful with this also!

kerbear879
01-14-2010, 06:01 PM
I had to ignore my family members in my quest to lose weight..they became way more supportive though once they saw I lost the weight. Unfortunately that's how it is sometimes. You need to listen to your doctors and do what is right for you and eventually your family will learn to understand. Hope it all works out!