100 lb. Club - Bmi - I Hate You!!!!

View Full Version : Bmi - I Hate You!!!!

Amber1011
01-13-2010, 01:58 AM
So, I had a shell shock moment today when I was looking up BMI's for my height (5'0"). My ultimate goal has always been around 150... until today.

Right now at 250 my BMI is around 49. Extremely obese.
At 150lbs my BMI would be like 29.4 - not only still overweight, but just 10ths of a point away from being obese! That just seems insane to me.
Being 125lbs is at the highest end of "normal" for my height.

Holy Bejesus!

The only thing I think about is that I do have a large frame, so 125 may not be possible. I'm shooting for that now, but I'm not going to freak out if I just can't get that far.

I guess I just had a holy cow moment because 150 always seemed TINY to me because I have been in the 200s as far as I can remember, and 125 seems insane.

*PHEW*
But here is to taking it a lb at a time!

Anyone else have a bit of shellshock at learning their "ideal" weight?

mandalinn82
01-13-2010, 02:02 AM
My ideal weight is not an option for me. At 8-10 lbs overweight, I have a very healthy body fat percentage, a good amount of muscle, and wear size 8 pants. BMI is great at looking at populations, but not so great at evaluating one individual, who has his/her own body type, tendency to put on muscle, etc.

So get where you feel comfortable, and if the BMI says that isn't good enough, disregard it. Other measures have been proven better at predicting health outcomes (like waist circumference, for example) than BMI anyway.

ToriLeigh
01-13-2010, 02:24 AM
BMI is a great basic goal, but there are so many factors that it does not consider. I would leave your goal as is and see how you feel when you get there. As Mandalinn said, waist circumfrence is better proven as a predictor for heart issues as is waist hip ratio. The waist hip one I love because I am already in the safe zone as far as that is concerned. But anyway, don't let the "correct" bmi bog you down. It is a reference point for a healthy weight, not the end all scale.

Trixie14
01-13-2010, 05:16 AM
I don't go by BMI at all.. I think it's bogus crap, imo anyway. Just pick a weight that you feel comfortable with and aim for that, I'd also like to be around 150 or so someday (I still have to wait and see what I'm actually comfortable at once I get back into the 100's someday), which for my height is still considered overweight according to the BMI, but that is about half of what I weigh now.. so the BMI can shove it lol Losing half of my body weight is good enough for me!

TIARA
01-13-2010, 05:24 AM
im in the same boat as you .. but my doctor said my healthy range is 144 to 125 im shooting for somewhere in the middle but like you i am also taking it 1 pound at a tme..

supernessa
01-13-2010, 07:08 AM
That seems very small to me. I am like you, 5' tall and have a bigger build and 150 sounded good since I was about that (or a little less) my senior year of high school and looking back at pictures I look very skinny.

thistoo
01-13-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm 5'0" and I've been hanging out at the 150-155 mark for about three months now. I'm a size 6/small on top and an 8-10 on the bottom (classic hourglass shape). Still overweight, definitely. A few pounds on the 'obese' side of things, even, which is a bummer. But I feel pretty confident at this weight, and I look pretty good in clothes, if that comforts you at all.

My doctor, on the other hand, says I should aim for 115. Her scale is 5 pounds lighter than mine, which means at home I'd have to aim for 110. SO not happening!

Eliana
01-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Being short sucks. :(

I agree that the goal of 150 is an excellent one. Once you reach it, like this too, you may decided it isn't where you want to be. In any case, 150 would still be an amazing accomplishment. Just take it a pound at a time. Every pound does your body good.

cathydoe
01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Holy Bejesus! <----I haven't heard that in a long time!

Oh yeah...us shortie folks are screwed when it comes to numbers!

The other day I was reading on the 5 to 5 foot 2 thread and someone was working towards 99. Holy crapola! That is still in my mind!

I have to believe...that if we are truly honest with ourselves...and eating healthy and exercising and eating in moderation...moderation meaning we have balance in our lives...all will work out.

Holy cow...look at what size Caroline is wearing at 150ish. I can't image!

Lots of use of the word HOLY in this post. Does this count for a prayer? Just kidding!

ubergirl
01-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I myself could not bear the thought of putting a goal weight that involved more than 120 pounds, so that's how I picked my goal.

You can have any goal you want and reevaluate as you go along.

I started with a BMI of 45, and now it's 34 and BELIEVE ME there is a huge difference in how I look, what I can do and how I feel, so don't let the numbers freak you out.

MakingSkinny
01-13-2010, 11:19 AM
I know exactly how you feel! I had the exact same "numbers revelation" just yeaterday and posted about it, too LOL

Lori Bell
01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey Amber,

You have "at least" 100 pounds to lose and it's going to take around a year to lose it, (and a life time to maintain it!!). Maybe you should foget about the numbers and just take it one day at a time. Work on that first pound before you worry about the next 99 or so down the road.... :hug:

Wild Vulpix
01-13-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm 5'0" and I've been hanging out at the 150-155 mark for about three months now. I'm a size 6/small on top and an 8-10 on the bottom (classic hourglass shape). Still overweight, definitely. A few pounds on the 'obese' side of things, even, which is a bummer. But I feel pretty confident in at this weight, and I look pretty good in clothes, if that comforts you at all.

My doctor, on the other hand, says I should aim for 115. Her scale is 5 pounds lighter than mine, which means at home I'd have to aim for 110. SO not happening!

Wow! I'm also 5'0" and about the same weight.... but my measurements are completely different :( I'm wearing size 12 jeans and hardly fitting into medium shirts (they usually fit fine.......until they need to be washed. Then the shrinking makes them too small and tight!) You must have a lot more muscle than I do!!

As another 5-footer who is in the 150s, I feel like this is just too heavy. Mind you, my highest weight ever was 164--so it's all relative I guess. But at 150, I feel like I waddle around and just look silly and comical. My butt is huge, though my tummy isn't too big. Still... it's big enough to bother me. (But my butt is, again, gigantic!!) So when you get down to this weight, you might change your mind on stopping here :D

thistoo
01-13-2010, 12:06 PM
You must have a lot more muscle than I do!!

I do have a tremendous amount of muscle under the fat for sure. I've been lifting for a long time, and lifting heavily for a couple months now. It makes a HUGE difference in how you look/how clothes fit, but then again, so does the way our excess weight gets distributed.

My arms, for instance, are abnormally large even with the weight training. I totally rock the bat wings, and as a result short sleeve shirts with banded cuffs will fit fine in the stomach/chest area, but totally cut into my arm fat. It's very frustrating!

(I have a lot of junk in the trunk, too, but I don't really mind. I'd like to get into the size 8 pants that are hanging in my closet [so close! I can wear a 6/8 skirt, but I'm still in a 10 pants-wise] but if I can keep the shape of my derriere, I won't complain. :D)

Eliana
01-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Wow! I'm also 5'0" and about the same weight.... but my measurements are completely different :( I'm wearing size 12 jeans and hardly fitting into medium shirts (they usually fit fine.......until they need to be washed. Then the shrinking makes them too small and tight!) You must have a lot more muscle than I do!!

As another 5-footer who is in the 150s, I feel like this is just too heavy. Mind you, my highest weight ever was 164--so it's all relative I guess. But at 150, I feel like I waddle around and just look silly and comical. My butt is huge, though my tummy isn't too big. Still... it's big enough to bother me. (But my butt is, again, gigantic!!) So when you get down to this weight, you might change your mind on stopping here :D

I do have a tremendous amount of muscle under the fat for sure. I've been lifting for a long time, and lifting heavily for a couple months now. It makes a HUGE difference in how you look/how clothes fit, but then again, so does the way our excess weight gets distributed.

My arms, for instance, are abnormally large even with the weight training. I totally rock the bat wings, and as a result short sleeve shirts with banded cuffs will fit fine in the stomach/chest area, but totally cut into my arm fat. It's very frustrating!

(I have a lot of junk in the trunk, too, but I don't really mind. I'd like to get into the size 8 pants that are hanging in my closet [so close! I can wear a 6/8 skirt, but I'm still in a 10 pants-wise] but if I can keep the shape of my derriere, I won't complain. :D)

All right you two! You may just have convinced me that I DO need to add exercise to my weight loss efforts despite my success. :tantrum:

Aclai4067
01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
I had trouble wrapping my head around my ideal weight. For a long time I thought there was just no way I could reasonably go below 180. Even THAT sounded sooooo far away! I just figured at my height, with a large bone structure, 180 would be a good weight. I based this on a girl I knew in High School who was close to my height, large bone structure, very athletic build and weighed 185. But I was talking to my sister about this and she pointed out the weights of her friends, who are all my height or taller and several of whom have large bone structures and all weigh 160 or less. None of them look too skinny to me, they look great. So I'm shooting for 155 to be well within my normal BMI. But I'm open to revisions on that weight because I honestly just have no idea what I'll look like once I get to/under 200 lbs.

Enduring Infinity
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I've thought about this a lot as well and what really helped me was looking at other people at certain heights and weights. I don't know if you've seen these or not, but the Illustrated BMI Set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/) on flickr and the Photographic Height-Weight Chart (http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.shtml) can give you a way to sort of eyeball certain weights and BMI categories.

Mikayla
01-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I've thought about this a lot as well and what really helped me was looking at other people at certain heights and weights. I don't know if you've seen these or not, but the Illustrated BMI Set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/) on flickr and the Photographic Height-Weight Chart (http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.shtml) can give you a way to sort of eyeball certain weights and BMI categories.

The BMI pictures, are really cool, is really gives some perspective!

FitGirlyGirl
01-13-2010, 06:28 PM
BMI is a convenient way to get a starting point for a goal. It is not the be all and end all. I had no idea what to set as a goal. I found some places saying that 110 would be good for me and others saying 120 (I have smallish bones), so I went in between. I have not been a normal weight since I was about 2 or 3, so I have no idea. I figure that I will keep my goal at 115 until I start getting down to where I'm close to happy with it and then I'll re-evaluate. I think that for some people setting a goal too low can lead to failure. I had a friend in high school who was seriously overweight. I don't know what she weighed, but I know her pants size was somewhere above 30. She was 4'10". She always said that her goal weight was 87 (I have no idea where she got 87). That was too difficult for her and just gave her an excuse to give up. I think I work the opposite way. 115 is the lowest goal I have ever set for myself and this is also the longest I have ever kept at it. Goal setting is very individual. Just make sure that whatever number you choose helps your progress and doesn't hinder it - that's most important. And remember, you can always change your goal.

Enduring - Thanks for the links, those are great. Poor morbidly obese kitty, lol.

PeanutsMom704
01-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I had trouble wrapping my head around my ideal weight. For a long time I thought there was just no way I could reasonably go below 180. Even THAT sounded sooooo far away! I just figured at my height, with a large bone structure, 180 would be a good weight. I based this on a girl I knew in High School who was close to my height, large bone structure, very athletic build and weighed 185. But I was talking to my sister about this and she pointed out the weights of her friends, who are all my height or taller and several of whom have large bone structures and all weigh 160 or less. None of them look too skinny to me, they look great. So I'm shooting for 155 to be well within my normal BMI. But I'm open to revisions on that weight because I honestly just have no idea what I'll look like once I get to/under 200 lbs.

I could have written this post, I actually posted about it recently somewhere. I started off in November thinking that I'd loe about 70-75 lbs to get down to the 180s and be thrilled, but after finding 3FC, I've been inspired to aim higher and shoot for the 150s. I have no idea how long it will take me, or even what I'm going to look or feel like in the 180s let alone 30 lbs below that. But I see the success stories of people who did that, and I think I can too, now. I'm guessing it will take me a while, esp because I'm pushing 50 (turn 48 in April), but that's ok, it's not a race.

I took my son to Disneyland this past spring for the first time, and I thought that if I could lose even 25 lbs by the time we took a trip like that again, I'd have so much more energy and be able to really enjoy things a whole lot more without my feet and the rest of me aching so much at the end of each day. I even thought it's fine if I do it over 4 years and just manage to lose - AND KEEP OFF!! - 25 lbs a year.

Well, I didn't get started until November, but I am well on my way to that first 25 lbs, and plan to make a big dent in the second 25 by the time my birthday comes. And while I don't think another Disney trip will be in the budget this year, I can't wait to go back again and to take other trips and have so much more fun as a much smaller and fitter person.

Anyway, to get back to the thread topic, my feeling is don't be afraid to dream big (Pun Intended!) when it comes to weight loss! Even to a lower weight/BMI than necessarily seems real or possible right now.

SNMomof1
01-13-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm just an inch taller than you and have a very "ideallic" target weight of 116. Starting out, I had 100lbs to loose. WOW. It's very daunting, but I realize that really is the right weight-ish for me. I will take 120, but no higher.

I think it's all about what YOU want. You can be thin and unhealthy, just as you can be overweight (or borderline) and healthy.

JustBeckyV
01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
My goal weight is just barely under normal weight. I am still aiming for that goal and will just see how I feel when I get there. I know that my ultimate goal is just a healthier me!

improbable
01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
I got down to my original goal of 140 and was honestly just too thin for my body type - big boobs, big butt, naturally muscular. I overdid it a tad going back up :o but I know now that below 150 is really just too little for me, even though 150 is towards the high end of healthy for my height. You'll figure it out as you get there honey, no worries!

playfullyme
01-14-2010, 12:43 AM
I had the same shell shock too! I need to lose a whole person. :D HOLY CRAP! I'll get there, pound by pound.
And I, like others, just set a goal to be in a plus size 16, but was inspired here to shoot for lower! 149 is my goal now!

purple lotus
01-14-2010, 02:07 AM
i'm not too worried about numbers.. at least not right now.

i think once i start getting lower in sizes and feeling better about myself i'll know where i'll want to be... whether that involves a specific number or not. i'd be plenty happy just being chubby in the future as opposed to now! haha boy that BMI sure is a slap in the face sometimes! haha