Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Unhappy I WONT Emotionally Eat! I WONT! :/

I keep saying that title in my head , and I'm trying to make it true...

I just found out a couple of hours ago the this morning my Aunt got the news that she has Colon Cancer. No one saw this coming.

I'm here alone in my apartment trying not to fall apart and eat everything I see. She is going to the doctor to find out more on Thursday. We're freaking out more because my Aunt is allergic to sulfates, and apparently I'm told that the chemotherapy treatments contain sulfates. The treatment itself can kill her. I'm trying to chill out and wait until we hear from the doctor, but its hard not to think of the worst.

I have always been an emotional eater, and I'm trying to stay on plan and not fall into my old habits. I just needed to get everything out...
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Just remember the food won't make you feel better. I had an upsetting incident the other day and as I grabbed the food I thought "this isn't going to make me feel better" and instead just called a friend and vented- which DID make me feel better So let it out here- call a friend- anything to take your mind off emotionally eating.

I hope things turn out alright with your aunt
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #3  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I second that eating will not make you feel better. I'm an emotional eater, too and I know the temptation, but there are probably other less damaging things you could do to take your mind off the situation or relieve your stress than eat.

I'm sorry about your Aunt. I hope there is some hopeful news from the doctor. Keep us posted.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #4  

Thanks. I'll try to keep that in mind.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

*hugs*

I know how hard it can be to keep from eating emotionally in those types of situations. Best of luck to you and your family!
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #6  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Yes remember, the food will not make you feel better...it may make you feel worse! Instead of just waiting around how about go for a walk? Do something to keep yourself busy and away from the food. I am the same way as soon as I get upset I run for the cabinets but I found even doing stuff even like cleaning up will take my mind off the food. You can do it! I really hope your aunt will be ok, just think positive! My grandfather has cancer and he some how kept such a good attitude the drs had him talk to other patients while he was in the hospital to boost their morale!
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #7  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Good luck honey. Also, keep in mind that chemotherapy often only shifts survival rates by 2-3 percent, so even if your aunt's cancer is severe enough that it would even potentially warrant chemo and if it's recommended by her doctor and if she's unable to have it due to allergies, chances are that things will STILL come out the way they would have anyway. I know that in times of stress it's hard not to A) immediately panic about the worst case scenario and B) for those of us blessed with emotional eating, to step away from the fridge. Have you considered exercising or watching mindless crappy tv instead? Always makes me feel better. Hope everything's ok and that you're able to deal with whatever comes in the healthiest way possible.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #8  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Take a walk with some angry music, or call up a friend, have a good cry
Research some new, healthy recipes.

I am so sorry to hear this, my heart goes out to you. I've sort of been in this situation and I wish I could just give you a big hug.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe your aunt could look into alternative therapies like those special nutrient diets? I've heard they work miracles- I believe it's a "macronutrient diet."
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I hope she will be okay. I have problems with emotional eating too--it is easy to turn to my old friend in time of need but I try to remember that it's going to make the problem worse--not better.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

So sorry to hear this! Something that helps me, that I'm sure I read on here one time is that food only solves one problem: hunger! That is the only problem food will solve! So using food to numb emotions is really not going to help anything. I have been an emotional eater most of my life, so I know how quickly I feel like turning to food when something goes wrong. But it simply will not make things any better. Hang in there!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #12  

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support.
I actually did really well today.
I watched the season premiere of The Biggest Loser, and tonight's episode, so those 4 hours kept me busy and concentrating on how much the weight loss means to me.
I actually came in under my calorie goal today!
My fiancee and I even went for a late night power walk. We went 1.5 miles!!! It may not seem like much for many people, but for me that is amazing. I can't remember the last time I did something like that! (and might I mention that is is 15 degrees outside lol)