General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 10:38 AM   #1  
GARDENING ADDICT

Thumbs down Fat Flush Plan~Week of 8/12

This is day #10 for me and so far, I'm doing great. I've maintained my 3# lose since starting but I can feel the effects of TOM coming, so I won't be too discouraged if I don't show much progress this week. That's life, I guess.

I hope that you are all doing well this week. I need to get caught up on posts from the weekend but I just wanted to start this weeks thread and say "HELLO"

~~~Sil
137/123/120
Old 08-12-2002, 09:40 PM   #2  

Hi, SIL!

I weighed in on Saturday and am down 4 more pounds! Yea.

This is my last week on Phase 1. I have lost a total of 17.5 pounds in the first 3 weeks and am VERY satisfied with that. But i am so bored with chicken and vegetables I cannot take it anymore. I'm adding sweet potatoes back in this week. We'll see if it makes a big difference.

I'm also visiting gyms this week, I can't believe I'm thinking about joining a gym! But I've been slack about exercise, need a kick...

Well, I'm glad you are doing so well, did you take measurements? This plan seems to result in a lot of weight "shifting" lots of people lose inches even when they are staying stable weight wise.

Have a great day.
SunDrop
Old 08-13-2002, 08:36 AM   #3  
GARDENING ADDICT

WAY TO GO, SUNDROP !
Good for you for sticking with it another week. I agree with you, it does get boring the first 2 weeks and I am ready to add a slice of Ezekiel bread .

I track my food, weight and exercise at www.fitday.com and I have not been eating enough cals. Only once was it over 1000 cals. So, I need to add some more protein to my diet.

I have some wonderful low-carb (<1gm) protein fruit drinks that I buy from the Quick Weight Loss Center. It mixes in water and forms a fruit-flavored drink, not a shake, but it has aspartamine in it. I'm begining to think that , for me, aspartamine and a little caffeine is no big deal. I'm not one to eat alot of "sugar-free" foods, so I think an occassional sf jello or protein drink will help me.
The biggest and most important things to me are cutting out the trans-fats, sugar and processed foods such as cereals/crackers/breads/pasta, etc.
I will continue to take the LLC, lemon water, cranwater,flax seed oil, GLA/CLA and be watchful of my carb choices.

I'm so proud of you. You help to keep me motivated. Thanks!
~~~Sil
137/123/120

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 08-13-2002 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:04 AM   #4  

I agree SIL- on the modifying to suit your needs...
I still use Splenda sometimes

For me not eating dairy and wheat has been revolutionary. It's hard to screw up as long as I keep faithful to avoiding those two.

I tried to make my own vegan Spelt bread in the breadmaker last night, ezekiel is good but expensive and my 5 yo has been eating it all.

It was strange, it rose really high but then deflated upon cooking, not very tasty without sugar either... I may add a Tbsp of molasses next time (high in iron too) I wish I could add some vital wheat gluten, but that's exactly what we are trying to avoid right??

I'll keep working on refining the recipe.

My Dh told me yesterday he wants to go vegetarian I said we could do it for our New Year's resolution, but that I needed animal protein to help me lose another 35 pounds first. I'm still chuckling a little as I was a veg when we first got together and he got me eating meat and now 10 years later he's worried about cholesterol and his health. I don't know if I'm ready to go back to a life without chicken. Maybe we could drop red meat as a phase 1, and that will satisfy him for a while.

I miss Diet Rite- I found a can in the back of the fridge and I drank it, first soda in 3 1/5 weeks- I think I'll add my 6 pack a week back in Phase 2, it's sodium/caffeine free and Splenda sweetened. If it slows me down I'll drop it.

So how is your energy level Sil???

I need to go drink my lemon water... so I'm off, have a great day.

SunDrop
Old 08-13-2002, 09:16 AM   #5  

Oh I forgot to add that I track at FitDay too (actually did the first week but have been kind of slack lately) . I seem to hit between 1100 and 1200 calories, are you adding your oils in that's about 200 calories right there....

Also I do 1/2 cup of brown rice or a slice of bread each day and that helps a bit.

Do you want to know what I think?? I think that it is a low calorie diet, and that's why it's so effective the first few weeks for most people. I think It's lower in cals than ALG suggests that it is. I eat an extra carb and add lactose free milk each day and still come in at under 1200.

I think it's detrimental to eat too little, under 1100 is going to put you into starvation mode after a few days, eat some extra veggies, add some bread,
I would just avoid extra fat as the EFA's are already plentiful along with the eggs.

I hit this plateau one time on a pretty calorie restricted regimen and I added 200 more cals a day and immediately started losing again.

Anyway, have an excellent day and feed your body good stuff.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:22 PM   #6  
GARDENING ADDICT

No, I don't include my oils on Fitday. I think of those as supplements rather than food choices and that is what I need to keep track of.
And you're right about being careful to eat enough calories, to prevent the starvation-mode from setting in.

Well, I completly skipped breakfast. I started working in the flower beds and pretty soon it was12:30, time for lunch. I'm making some soup w/ veggies and chicken breasts in the crockpot for a snack later. Tonight will be shrimp,brocolli and a salad.
Have a great day and drink that cranwater
~~~Sil :flow:
Old 08-13-2002, 01:48 PM   #7  

Oh I forgot to add that I track at FitDay too (actually did the first week but have been kind of slack lately) . I seem to hit between 1100 and 1200 calories, are you adding your oils in that's about 200 calories right there....

Also I do 1/2 cup of brown rice or a slice of bread each day and that helps a bit.

Do you want to know what I think?? I think that it is a low calorie diet, and that's why it's so effective the first few weeks for most people. I think It's lower in cals than ALG suggests that it is. I eat an extra carb and add lactose free milk each day and still come in at under 1200.

I think it's detrimental to eat too little, under 1100 is going to put you into starvation mode after a few days, eat some extra veggies, add some bread,
I would just avoid extra fat as the EFA's are already plentiful along with the eggs.

I hit this plateau one time on a pretty calorie restricted regimen and I added 200 more cals a day and immediately started losing again.

Anyway, have an excellent day and feed your body good stuff.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:11 PM   #8  
GARDENING ADDICT

Hi Linda
To answer your questions:
1)Does the cranwater cause carb cravings? Not for me it doesn't. I think that's because it is unsweetened and watered down and because it acts as a diuretic, you are actually flushing alot of it out of your body anyway.

2) No, I do not take the oil by the spoonful. I blend some of it with a touch of apple vinegar, lemon juice,parsley, seasonings (such as cumin, dry mustard, Mrs Dash) . This makes a great "honey mustard salad dressing " (Sundrop's recipe) that i not only use on salads but also on my cooked veggies like cauliflower or brocolli. Some people put it in their smoothies and blend it, but I prefer to use it as a dressing. I also like to sprinkle flax seeds on my salads and veggies.

3) I'm not sure about the ketosis issue. That would be an excellent question to ask over at iVillage. I will ask them and let you know what is said.
~~~Sil
Old 08-13-2002, 06:02 PM   #9  

Default some answers

As best as I can recall, no where does ALG mention ketosis in her book, in fact she seems to keep the words low-carb out of there too.

This has been one of the best aspects of the plan for me. I was formally on a low carb plan and I spent a lot of time stressing about ketosis and not feeling very good.

Fat flush really emphasizes, detoxification, eating clean food, detecting food allergies and sensitivities.

Is it low carb? Yes. I eat an average of 50-75 grams of carbs a day on it, depending on what veggies and fruits I choose and how much of them I eat. That is not extremely low carb but deffinitely lower than the average intake.

You don't count calories or carb grams, you just stay away from the non-fat flush foods and limit your protein and fruits a bit, beyond that, you eat as you like.

So that said what about carb cravings? I am having less than I did when on a lower carb diet, I think for me it is the wheat elimination.
With it went all desire for sweets, it's almost miraculous. the cranberry water is very dilute and pretty sour, I don't really think of it as juice... Also you drink throughout the day and if my math is right it's 1.5 carbs in each 8 oz glass, which barely registers as worth an insulin response.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:19 PM   #10  
GARDENING ADDICT

I also forgot to mention that i put Stevia in my cranwater and my salad dressing mix.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:26 AM   #11  
Slimwithin

Thanks for all the info. I bought the book today and have begun reading it.
She talks a lot about the liver making bile to be stored in the gall bladder. Well, I've had my gall bladder removed. WIll that make a difference?
I think it will be quite easy for me to switch from Atkins to Fat Flush because I've already cut bread, potatoes, rice out of my diet. In fact, it will seem strange to eat fruit!
I still have to pick up the flax seed oil and then I should be ready to start.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:15 AM   #12  

I remember reading a thread over at Ivillage that asked about the gallbladder MIA.

The responses from veterans were that there were several gallbladerless fat flushers and that they were having no problem with the plan. You could go there and search the archives if you are still curious

Well everyone around here has sore throats, so I'm doling out hot tea and echinacea this morning, wow only 6 days of Kindergarten and we are all getting sick.

Now let's see if the rumors of enhanced immune function due to fat flush are true...
Old 08-14-2002, 03:25 PM   #13  

Hi Everyone
I happenned upon this site last night and found the Fat Flush diet intresting. I picked up some flax oil,primerose and psyllium today. I am just making the cranberry juice. I put the book on hold at the libary so I should have it in a few days.I am going to give it a try. I sure will miss the carbs though. Oh well just 14 days and then I will add a few back into my diet.

DEE
Old 08-14-2002, 03:37 PM   #14  
GARDENING ADDICT

What a day today
I started out having pre-menstrual cramps and feeling sorry for myself because I take my Methotrexate treatment tomorrow and between that and TOM, I will be very tired. So, today is my day to get the yard mowed and the pool taken care of, so I can relax the rest of the week.
My neighbor came over this morning while I was having my breakfast and my alotted cup of coffee. My cramps were so bad, and she commented that i need chocolate to make me feel better. I just smiled.
About 4 hrs later, after I did my yard work, and had just come inside, the same neighbor stopped over and gave me a small piece of chocolate cheese cake from the bakery shop.
Well, I took it and ate the skinny half of it before I started feeling too guilty. So the rest is in the fridge for DH. But I called her on the phone and told her it tasted YUMMY and I really did enjoy it . And that ended my pity-party.

~~~Sil
Old 08-14-2002, 03:39 PM   #15  
GARDENING ADDICT

WELCOME DEE!!!!!!!
~~Sil
Closed Thread