100 lb. Club - Chocolate Cheerios!!

View Full Version : Chocolate Cheerios!!

purplecrush
01-11-2010, 11:20 AM
I saw these in the store the other day and had to laugh. I LOVE cheerios, but couldnt imagine CHOCOLATE ones!! Well, yesterday, my kids saw this and begged to get them. I gave in and bought them. I had a bowl of them today and OH EM GEE!! I love them!!! 100 cal for 3/4 cup!! I think they are yummy and you get semi- chocolate milk!!

scarletmeshell
01-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I don't even dare look at the box! hehe!

Eliana
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
How did you feel a couple hours later? Just curious. I think they would have a similar affect as donuts on me.

purplecrush
01-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Well, right now im full..Cheerios always fills me up! I think thats why I like them so much..its been about a hour since I ate..so Ill let you know how I feel a couple hours later lol

marigrace
01-11-2010, 12:03 PM
If you can handle having that around, you are much tougher than me.

purplecrush
01-11-2010, 12:05 PM
The chocolate cheerios arent that sweet. Id rather have them than candy. Im a huge chocolate fan and I crave them around TOM (which is now) so im happy to have them around!

cfmama
01-11-2010, 01:04 PM
That would spell so much disaster for me it's not even funny. lol!!!! I'm glad they are working for you though and 3/4 cup at 100 calories is good!

Trazey34
01-11-2010, 01:18 PM
hmmm that sounds fun!!! Cereal doesn't bother me one way or the other so I could buy those and have them around ~ although dr. oz says not to eat cereal that turns your milk a different colour :( maybe a little as a snack wouldn't be so bad now and again!

jay41
01-11-2010, 01:56 PM
That would be a total nightmare for me having anything like that in the house. I used to sit and eat entire boxes of Lucky Charms and Cocoa Krispies in one sitting. Cereal is a big downfall for me.

I can handle Fiber One and Kashi -- I am too addicted to the other ones to keep them anywhere near me.

HeidiNicole
01-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Sounds yum, good find!

Beverlyjoy
01-11-2010, 03:13 PM
I saw an ad for this just today. Sounds yummy! If you were my neighbor, I'd love to come over for tea and chocolate cherrios to see if they would trigger unplanned eating. Enjoy!!!!

TJFitnessDiva
01-11-2010, 03:19 PM
hmmmm....those sound good :) I know the Special K chocolate one doesn't make me want to eat it all the time & I'll measure it out to put in a snack baggie to munch on all day! I'll have to keep a look out for it and if it just tastes too good then over to my dad's house it goes :lol: (I live right next door to him and he's used to me sending stuff over if I can't keep it in mine)

soulnik
01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I am a cereal addict! This would send me right over the edge. Just knowing they're out there is killing me. I'm going to have to promptly forget about this thread. There are no chocolate Cheerios. There are no chocolate Cheerios. There are no chocolate Cheerios.

LizJ
01-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Mm those sound good! I have had the chocolate chex and they are really good too. I will have to try out the cheerios! My kids would love them too!

purplecrush
01-11-2010, 04:04 PM
You guys are funny! Im not addicted to cereal (thank goodness!) so they are no biggie for me. I plan on putting some in ziplock baggies and keeping them handy for when I get my chocolate cravings!!

Shannon in ATL
01-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I just emptied my box of Special K Chocolate Delight, I should get a box of those cheerios to replace it. I weigh out a serving, that should work nicely.

Thanks!

purplecrush
01-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Ive tried the Special K Chocolate Delight cereal and I didnt like it. Im not sure why. I like these much better!!! :)

nelie
01-11-2010, 04:25 PM
My mother in law buys all sorts of junky cereals because they are on sale. If she didn't have issues then I wouldn't be concerned but both my inlaws are on the verge of diabetes and shouldn't be eating sugary cereals and of course most of the cereals advertise themselves as 'healthy' such as Special K. I don't eat cold cereals myself, sugary or not because once I start, I can't stop. I am certainly not the type that can keep lots of 'treats' at home so I don't really try anymore.

kaplods
01-11-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd be more concerned with sugar content than chocolate content. Most chocolate cereals in the past have been high-sugar cereals, but more and more low-sugar cereals are adding chocolate (I haven't bought any, because I'm not a chocolate fan).

That's why it's so important to read the labels. One of my favorite cereals growing up looked really healthy (so Mom bought it without question). It was in a rough, pressed o-shape, and was super high in fiber and had "bran" in the name, and resembled the alfalfa pellets I fed to my pet bunny, but it was also very sweet (it just didn't look it, because the sugar was on the inside and not on the outside, like the frosted mini-wheats she'd let my skinny brother eat, but not me).

kaplods
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
OMG, I found the cereal, and they still make it. It's called Cracklin' Oat bran (and I would have been much better off eating the frosted mini wheats).

Cracklin` Oat Bran 221 calories 3/4 cup (about 295 per cup)

Frosted Mini wheats 175 calories for 1 cup

nelie
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
That's why it's so important to read the labels. One of my favorite cereals growing up looked really healthy (so Mom bought it without question). It was in a rough, pressed o-shape, and was super high in fiber and had "bran" in the name, and resembled the alfalfa pellets I fed to my pet bunny, but it was also very sweet (it just didn't look it, because the sugar was on the inside and not on the outside, like the frosted mini-wheats she'd let my skinny brother eat, but not me).

That was my favorite, Cracklin' oat bran. Speaking of healthy looking sugar cereals... my mother in law bought that and gave it to us! I took one look at the ingredients and told my husband to eat it (he has no problem with sugar).

Although I admit that really grapenuts was my favorite cereal growing up. I was only allowed to have only certain cereals and grapenuts was one of them. Cracklin' oat bran wasn't on the list due to the high sugar content but I had it a couple times from someone else buying it/visiting someone's house.

ToriLeigh
01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Mmm, I love Cracklin Oat bran, one of my favorites. But the calories are killer for a bowl of cereal. I have to go the grocery store tonight, I will have to check out the chocolate cheerios.

patchworkpenguin
01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
I bought some of the Choc Cheerios last night. I wasn't crazy about them but had the idea to make them like Rice Crispies Squares. I'll let you know how it turns out.

patchworkpenguin
01-15-2010, 10:36 AM
I made a pan of Rice Crispies Squares but used the Choc Cheerios instead of the rice cereal. They were a big hit with everyone! They were very light but firm and crunchy. I plan on making them again with the regular Cheerios but maybe adding coconut and pecans?? endless possiblities...:D

I've never made Marshmellow squares before {easy but sticky} , the recipe I tried used marshmellows not the jar of marshmellow fluff I expected but the cals were about 100 each square.

BeachBreeze2010
01-15-2010, 11:13 AM
If you are having a chocolate craving, try an organic, semi-sweet dark chocolate bar and eat half. It's pretty bitter so I don't think you would really overeat on it. It gives you that chocolate flavor and in small quantities, it is good for you. Try Green & Black's. Calorie King says that half a bar is just under 100 calories. I am not reccommending for daily consumption, but it's a way to get chocolate while retaining some of the benefits.

ToriLeigh
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Found the chocolate cheerios and they are really good. Now I can have something sweet and chocolatey in the evening if I have calories left. I do much better if I eat sweet things at night, that way I just do to bed if I suddenly feel like a candy bar.

L144S
01-15-2010, 12:26 PM
thumbs up from me!

purplecrush
01-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Well im on my second box! Not because I ate it all..its cuz my son did!
Darn boy! He loves them because they arent that sweet , he says.

BarbPA
01-15-2010, 01:25 PM
It's dangerous for me to have cereal around. Way too easy to overeat and doesn't fill me up. :dizzy: I've fallen into the kids cereal a number of times.

SNMomof1
01-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Ah, see, that'd be bad for me. I eat LOTS of cereal. I can't say no after 1 serving.

hmmmm....those sound good :) I know the Special K chocolate one doesn't make me want to eat it all the time & I'll measure it out to put in a snack baggie to munch on all day! I'll have to keep a look out for it and if it just tastes too good then over to my dad's house it goes :lol: (I live right next door to him and he's used to me sending stuff over if I can't keep it in mine)

Have you tried the Special K cinnamon and pecan? I eat the snack bars but haven't dared tried their cereal.

Truffle
01-15-2010, 08:01 PM
If you REALLLLY want a good one, try the Banana Nut Cheerios!!! I think I went through my box in two or three days. Oops. ;-)

purplecrush
01-15-2010, 11:40 PM
yeah, I love the Banana nut cheeries as well. They are sweet, but not too sweet, just like the chocolate :)

WhitePicketFences
01-16-2010, 09:39 AM
I never really ate cereal, but I did get into oatmeal recently.

Just a few minutes ago I ate chocolate oatmeal. Yes, that's right!

1/2 cup rolled oats (150 calories) with a largish dark chocolate square (45 calories) dropped into the still-hot stovepot. The square started melting, I mixed it all around, and I thought it was delicious!

And here my husband was doubtful. I knew it would be good ...

I might try peanut butter oatmeal another day.

Lyn2007
01-16-2010, 09:13 PM
The chocolate cheerios has 9 grams of sugar per serving. Not really bad. I find the flavored Cheerios too sweet, so I buy the plain ones and then mix equal parts plain and flavored. Less sugar, but nice flavor!

giselley
01-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't touch anything made with a grain-- chocolate or not.

JustBeckyV
01-16-2010, 11:38 PM
I have a box but haven't tried them yet. I don't eat cerel very often. Usually I get the cheerioes with the granola - I really love those. I like the idea of making rice krispy treats out of the chocolate cheerios. I might give that a try1

Eliana
01-17-2010, 08:40 AM
I never really ate cereal, but I did get into oatmeal recently.

Just a few minutes ago I ate chocolate oatmeal. Yes, that's right!

1/2 cup rolled oats (150 calories) with a largish dark chocolate square (45 calories) dropped into the still-hot stovepot. The square started melting, I mixed it all around, and I thought it was delicious!

And here my husband was doubtful. I knew it would be good ...

I might try peanut butter oatmeal another day.

Mmmmm, now this I could get onboard with. Sounds like a healthy dessert!

BarbPA
01-17-2010, 12:53 PM
OHhh...there are so many fun ways to eat oatmeal. We should have a thread just for that.

:D

Girly2010
01-17-2010, 03:06 PM
I bought a box today. I am gonna put a serving in a bag to take to work for those mid afternoon munchies that only a piece of chocolate will do. Plus its crunchy so that will be helpful to.

Lyn2007
01-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Okay, I HAD to come back and bump this up because after this thread, I bought the Chocolate Cheerios and then I read the label. THEY ARE NOT CHEERIOS as in the #1 ingredient is NOT whole grain oats. They are a CORN cereal just like Cocoa Puffs. Same with the Banana ones. I was so annoyed when I read the label and saw what these really are. I just wanted to post a warning in case people are thinking these are the healthy, oaty Cheerios with cocoa in them. They aren't! I just posted the ingredient info on my blog because I think it is kinda tricky of General Mills to market these sugar corn balls as "Cheerios." The only thing Cheerio-like about them is the shape.

The Great Cheerios Fake-Out (http://escapefromobesity.blogspot.com/2010/01/great-cheerios-fake-out.html)

JulieJ08
01-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Okay, I HAD to come back and bump this up because after this thread, I bought the Chocolate Cheerios and then I read the label. THEY ARE NOT CHEERIOS as in the #1 ingredient is NOT whole grain oats. They are a CORN cereal just like Cocoa Puffs.[/URL]

Interesting!

Shannon in ATL
01-25-2010, 03:27 PM
I just pulled mine out of the desk drawer. Wow, I even read the nutrition label when I bought these and didn't catch that. Interesting.

Thanks!