Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Cardio Only???????

Quick background - I lost 70 lbs via diet and cardio/weight training. I then had a baby gained 50 back and have since lost 50 lbs via diet/breastfeeding and now and additional 10 lbs via diet/cardio. I still need to lose 50 lbs but with my current work/daycare situation I can only do cardio because I typically have to do it using a jogging stoller. So my week typically consists of 2 days of strenuous hiking (taking care of some muscle resistance in my legs and gluts) and 3 days of about 4.3 miles of walking/jogging.

My main goal is to lose 50 lbs, but idealy I would like to be toned, is only doing cardio going to cut it?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #2  
The Devil's in the Donuts

S/C/G: 267/~see ticker~/145 & fit

Height: 5'6"

Push that stroller uphill and you have just added arms, abs and glut training along with cardio.

What do you think? Got any hills or inclines in your area?

Hope this helps!
meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Dont wanna be the one who has to say it, but.... you are NOT going to get toned doing cardio alone.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

That being SAID, it doesnt men you cant make the most of what you have, right? Pushups are great for strength, and you can drop and do 10 or 20 almost anytime of day. Like-wise with squats (even body weight, to start) or wall sits or crunches..
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Thanks! Great tips. It's a hard balance, but I think I really need to find some time for toning exercises as well.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

there is so much that you can do at home when you get up, or before bed...

YOGA is great for toning if you have time for a class, or just look up poses online and do it on your own...

PUSHUPS--do 3-4 sets of 10-20 (depending on your strength). On you last set, do as many as you can until you can't do another, then drop your knees and keep going until you cannot push yourself back up. this fatigues the muscle which is going to get you results. (this kind of things helps with any muscle group)

TRICEP DIPS: Grab a bench or any somewhat elevated surface and do reverse pushups, making sure your butt stays close to your hands as you push down. Aim for 15-25...3 sets...last set burn it out!

VINYASA FLOW: This flow of yoga poses coordinated with breathe control works both the bicep and tricep by doing Downdog(exhale)--->plank(inhale)--->lower slowly with your elbows close to your sides down to floor(exhale)-->Updog(inhale) and repeat this flow several times, really focusing on your muscle groups as you do it.

Legs:
Wall Sits, Medicine Ball Squats against a wall, Fire hydrants (these kill but are great for building core strength and toning outer thighs and glutes), Lunges, Single Leg Squats, Deadlifts if you have barbells

Abs/Core:
PLANK: Hold this position for a minute if you can for 3 sets...hold it as long as you can for the last one.
Bicycle Crunches
Reverse sit ups (use your legs straight out in front of you while you are lying down....raise and lower slowly

Also, with cardio, sprinting intervals helps to tone and burn fat fast...i.e. jog 5.5 for 2 minutes, sprint your fastest for a minute, jog for two, sprint for one until 20-30 minutes. it helps make cardio go by quicker when you are watching the time for something other than how many minutes left.
Good luck!
charlottekelsey is offline   Reply With Quote