Mini-Goals - No longer obese!

View Full Version : No longer obese!

Kirjava
01-10-2010, 04:08 PM
I just reached a mini-goal, and am here to share my story for my first post!

I made a major life change in August. I got my first teaching job and moved to a remote community in northern Quebec, Canada. At the same time, I decided that it was time to change my body, as well.

When I arrived, I was 210lbs. I did minor exercises on the Wii Fit until I felt ready to go to the gym, and now the Wii Fit is only for my weekly weigh ins. When I started on Wii Fit I was obviously in the obese range, but this week's weigh in brought me down to overweight for the first time. I now weigh 174lbs. There's still a lot farther to go to get down to the normal range I'm aiming for, but I'm actually more than half way!

Living in this community has really allowed me to succeed. There are no restaurants, so I don't feel compelled to treat myself to fast food. All groceries here are flown in, so they're very expensive. Fatty foods I used to eat like chips and chocolate bars cost up to four times as much, and my cheapness wins out over my cravings. :D

I have also changed the way I eat. I used to eat large portions and I never planned meals in advance. Now I cook a large meal on Sundays, divide it up into individual serving containers, and freeze it for the following week. I thought I'd get bored eating the same thing for lunch and dinner every day, but I like how simple it is to just reheat and eat, and know at the same time that I'm not going to overindulge.

Another thing this community has given to me is more time. I live not even a minute from the school where I teach, so I have more time for exercise. I used to live far away from work and sometimes lost three hours in a day to getting around by bus. By the time I got home I felt so pressed for time that I just grabbed something fast and fatty so I wouldn't have to lose even more time cooking before I started my studies. I find that the more free time I have, the less time I have for excuses to eat poorly and shirk exercise.

CLCSC145
01-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Congratulations! It feels great, doesn't it? :cheer:

:wel3fc:

quince
01-10-2010, 04:17 PM
congratulations! i'm so happy for you! it always makes me smile when i see 'no longer obese', and even more so when i see people changing their lifestyle in such a good way.
good luck and celebrate this beautiful achievement! :)

Kirjava
01-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you for the support! It's a great welcome to this site.

It does feel great. My final goal is 145, so I have 29lbs to go. :)

Violet73
01-10-2010, 04:45 PM
congrats :)

thinnerbyjuly
01-10-2010, 04:49 PM
:carrot: big congrats!!!!:carrot:

bridietogo
01-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Well done - wish you every success in reaching your goal.

leeway
01-10-2010, 05:25 PM
:carrot::cp::broc::cp::cb:
YAY -GOOD FOR YOU! I know you must feel fabulous and so proud of what you have accomplished (and deservedly so) - getting past that label is an achievment and a great boost to keep going. WAY TO GO!:woohoo:

Isn't it amazing what was seemingly just a change of location has impacted you in ways you never could have imagined - it has made quite a difference in your success, allowing you to stick to your well-thought-out plan without the additional challenges of drive-thrus, cheap food and time restraints.

Keep up the good work - you have evidently found what works for you 'cause you're almost there - we'll all be here to cheer you on!

:bravo:

SugarJunkie
01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! That's a HUGE success :)

As for your community? Can I say I'm jealous?!?! I would LOVE to live in a town like that... (not just for the lack of temptation :lol: ) Really! The best vacation of my life was to a little town in Northern Saskatchewan that we had to fly in to. It was FABULOUS! And ever since then, I've been obsessed with the idea of living in a place like that.

quiltbutts
01-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Great job! Keep up the good work. :)

LaDawnS
01-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Great Job! You should be so proud of yourself! I'm a couple pounds away from that! Can't wait to join you! Keep up the good work! :)

Kirjava
01-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone!

SugarJunkie, I'm with you about small town life. I could definitely see myself settling down in a small, isolated town. However, while this is a great place to live in many ways, there are plenty of issues. It's an Inuit community with some serious drug and alcohol problems, and lots of neglected and mistreated kids. It's heartbreaking and frustrating as a teacher to only be able to do so much.

Judy Lynn
01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Way to go on losing 36 pounds already. You are doing awesome!

vontrese
01-11-2010, 10:36 PM
congratulations!

workingtobethin
01-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Wow, way to go. I used to live in Nunavut for 2 & 1/2 years, so I know isolation. And it can be great to be away from drive thru! I now live in Newfoundland where I'm from, it's nice to have found another Canadian that is close by! Wish you all the best!

Firecracker777
01-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Congrats on your progress!!

cassieroll
01-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

We live in a very rural community in Montana and same thing.. no fast food.. groceries are expensive. It helps your waist line and your pocketbook!

Kirjava
01-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks again everyone for all the support! It's interesting to hear from others who have lived in isolated communities. I think living here for a couple years will allow me to establish a complete lifestyle around the smaller portions and healthier choices and lack of fast food.

mareneli
01-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Congrats! As of yesterday, I'm 185 lbs. which is 29.9 on the BMI for my height! So I am just overweight and not obese anymore also! YAY for us!!!!

I also bought a men's medium t-shirt for the first time EVER and I can wear it!

My next mini-goal is to weigh less than my husband. He's been on WW too and has lost 30 lbs or so. He's at 180 and is looking to lose about ten more pounds. So at some point here I'll catch up. I can't wait!

Wiiki
01-18-2010, 01:39 PM
That is so awesome!! Good for you!!:bravo:

Did your mii get smaller when you moved down? I just started on Wii Fit Plus on Thursday, and am in the obese category. But, I'm determined to stick with the exercising this time (it's so much fun with Wii!), and can't wait for my little mii to shrink!

fiveminutes
01-18-2010, 01:59 PM
congrats on getting out of obese! i remember when i got out of obese. it was excellent and a great feeling!

That is so awesome!! Good for you!!:bravo:

Did your mii get smaller when you moved down? I just started on Wii Fit Plus on Thursday, and am in the obese category. But, I'm determined to stick with the exercising this time (it's so much fun with Wii!), and can't wait for my little mii to shrink!
your mii does get smaller but not by much (well for me. i started out at 32 bmi and now im down to 28.83, though im at 29.03 today due to water retention from new exercise last night). it looks like the shirt fits the mii better, not so much stomach skin is showing. i can't wait until i get into the normal category and see how good my mii and me looks!

Kirjava
01-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Congratulations to both of you getting out of the obese category! It`s a huge deal and it feels nice to know that I won`t hear the Wii Fit saying, ``That`s obese!`` after a body test ever again. I hated hearing that every time.

That said, I was actually disappointed with the lack of reaction from the Wii Fit. I was hoping for it to notice I dropped into the overweight category and celebrate it... or at least comment on it, but nothing new happened.

And my mii is not noticeably smaller than it was when I was obese. It just shrank a tiny bit in recognition of the pounds I lost, which it does normally anyway. I just have to say that if the Wii Fit doesn`t even react when I make it into the normal category, I will be very, very disappointed!

Lil Judy
01-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Kirjava,
congratulations! I love to hear success stories especially success stories about teachers! You're doing so well and are an inspiration to all.
Judy

thelastmartinis
01-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Good for you!!!

mandymic
01-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Congrats! That's such a great accomplishment! :)
I've got another 9lbs before I reach Overweight and can see it it sight! :)

Red Hook Mom
01-19-2010, 06:10 PM
That's great!!! But depressing that your Mii doesn't deflate. I just got WiiFit (and a Wii) for Christmas and I love it. It's nothing like the gym, but when time is tight or the roads are slippery (that was the case for me today), I got in half an hour of aerobics, fifteen minutes of balance (which I find fun) and started yoga for the first time. Definitely better than nothing.

Anyway, I've got about sixteen pounds to go before I hit overweight but I'm determined to take them off quickly!

Kirjava
01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks again for all the support! I love Wii Fit for the scale built in. It`s awesome to be able to weigh-in and have so much detail, like BMI and obese/overweight/normal/underweight. I don`t know a lot about the appropriate weight for my height, but Wii Fit can tell me all that. I`d probably still think I was obese if I was just using a regular scale.