Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 7'

Default How many calories? Which formula to use?

I lost 65 lbs 2 yrs ago and am up 25. I think my big mistake was going on medifast which cut my calories too low and my body raised my metabolism. Plus I put whatever I wanted in my mouth over the holidays. I fought to stay the same for 9 months before I gave up and started to gain.

I was at a point where I was staying under 1,500 calories and biking and not losing weight. I did maintain.

So now I am starting again and for the first week I set my calories at 1,600. I want to make sure that I have some where to go when I lose and plateau. I sit in a cube all day so put my stats in many calorie configuration charts as not very active, 244 lbs, 5"7 age 51.

We just bought a WII Fit Plus because there is no biking in Wisconsin in the winter. I am hoping to add 30 mins a day on it.

Do you think 1,600 is a good?

Also, I have no idea which support group to join! Where should I be posting? Is this general support group an area where people post all of the time or do you split off into a sub group? I would say that I am trying to eat clean and counting calories.

Thanks for any help!
HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #2  

free dieting put me at what I think is a huge amount of calories!

Maintenance:
2415 Calories/day
Fat Loss:
1952 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss:
1952 Calories/day
Old 01-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I think sometimes that the most important thing with calorie counting is to make sure that you're accurate. It's easy to add a bit of something and miss it, or to not know what a medium apple really is.

For example, I can lose weight on ~1800 calories a day doing little to no exercise. However, depending on how active I am the rest of the time it can be as little as 1/2 pound per week. When I add a little exercise to that I'll lose more. Some people need to eat lower, it just depends on you and what you do. The most accurate way of setting your calorie levels is to look what you're actually eating now (and then eat less).

If you don't need to be in your cubicle 100% of the time, try not to be. If you work in an environment that allows it, get up from time to time. When I was last working in an office I might walk down the hallway to ask a question instead of picking up the phone. If there's a water cooler in the office, get your water from there (instead of bringing a big bottle). The little things add up to more activity.

There's a calorie counters section which might help. However, usually when people ask for 'how much to eat' they get tons of different answers.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/

And there's a Whole Foods Lifestyle forum:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whol...lifestyle-209/

Last edited by RealCdn; 01-10-2010 at 01:08 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #4  
19Deltawifey

I think 1600 calories a day might not be enough. Most of the time when people cut there calories to low there body holds on to the fat and burns muscle as fuel. 1600 calories isn't as low as some people but it still doesn't seem like it would be enough even though you are sedetary. Also the more muscle your body burns it can slow down your metabolism and eventually it stops the weight loss no matter how low your calories are and then people get discouraged and gain all the weight back and then some. If your used to eating 2500+ calories a day cut back a little but don't cut way back. Good Luck
Old 01-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #5  

Thanks. We just got WII Fit Plus and I was on it for 90 mins this AM.

I know that weight watchers point would put me at 1,200 calories so I was thinking that 1,600 was a lot. I'd of course like to lose 2 lbs per week, spring break is coming!

I have had trouble reaching 1,600 when eating healthy. I fill up fast and good food is filling.

If at the end of the day you are not hungry and under your goal what do you do? I am worried about my metabolism.

Thanks. I am off to check out the links you left.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #6  
19Deltawifey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HocusPocus View Post

Maintenance:
2415 Calories/day
Fat Loss:
1952 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss:
1952 Calories/day
You would probably lose weight at the 1952 calorie range, just try it for about 2 weeks and see what happens. I was skeptical also when I tried 2000 calories and still lost weight. I don't binge and Im not starving
Old 01-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #7  

Height: 6-1.5

Quote:

Maintenance:
2415 Calories/day
Fat Loss:
1952 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss:
1952 Calories/day
Of which, you need to remember about 95% are for running your body. The only amount of fuel that is stored as fat is the fuel that is not used up by the body for normal running. The more activity you can create, the more fuel your body uses-- but still 95% is for things like "heart beat" and "breathing" -- those things do not take place separate from eating-- that is why people can "starve to death."

Fat loss is when you cut back on calories that can be stored in the cells, ready for use, and force the body to go to old stores and use them up rather than creating fresh stores of fuel (fat). So, 1,952 means that you are giving your body less than it needs to live on, and relying on some fuel from the stored up fat cells. If 2450 is your maintanence level that means it is what you need to live on if you were not overweight. Do you happen to be a big tall man? Because that is an awful high number. I usually don't see more than 2000 calories for a 6 foot tall man, and about 1,800 or less for women.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #8  

lol no, i am 5' 7" female, 51 yrs, weigh 244.

I chart everything i eat on my i touch using the lose it application. I love it.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #9  
19Deltawifey

Quote:
If at the end of the day you are not hungry and under your goal what do you do? I am worried about my metabolism.
I will usually just have a big dinner, my calorie minimum is 1800 calories. I mostly always get 1950 cals by the end of the day.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #10  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselley View Post
If 2450 is your maintanence level that means it is what you need to live on if you were not overweight. Do you happen to be a big tall man? Because that is an awful high number. I usually don't see more than 2000 calories for a 6 foot tall man, and about 1,800 or less for women.
Freedieting gives its maintenance calories for the weight you are now so 2450 to maintain 244 pounds would be about right. I'm 159 and maintain on 1800. I recommend the free dieting calorie caluclator as worth a shot, they definitely look right to me as they're the same as weightlossresources which I had to pay for but was the best programme I ever did in terms of losing consistently.
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I have had trouble reaching 1,600 when eating healthy. I fill up fast and good food is filling.

I am at 1,600 daily and I've had my fair share of days that I couldn't reach my calories which makes a big difference!

I make sure to eat snacks such as a tbsp. of almonds, an apple with a tbsp. of peanut butter... These things pack a punch when it comes to calories which helps fill voids and they offer the good fats your body needs.

If you simply can't stomach eating anything, consider drinking pure fruit juice or make your own fruit smoothies with fruit and fat free yogurt! Hope this helps

Last edited by bensempress; 01-10-2010 at 03:44 PM.
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #12  

Thanks so much everyone, you are all great.

I now know why I am having trouble reaching 1,600.. I have a horrible cold. 3rd this winter, what's up with that?!!

I'll try to go to 1,800.

Have a super week!