Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #1  
Here I come skinny jeans!

S/C/G: 225/Ticker/135

Height: 5'2.5"

Default The Daily Plate

So DH and I both signed up for TDP, not even counting extra calories for breastfeeding it's telling me to loose 2lbs a week I can eat 1,985 cal/day I'm 5'3ish and 206lbs at 3 weeks post postpartum. I'm constantly 200-500 or more calories short per day.

DH is 5'11" and 350+ (I'm not positive of his exact weight) his work is pretty heavy duty type stuff and it's telling him he can eat over 3,500 cal/day to loose 2lbs a week. He would have to binge eat to get that many calories in! He doesn't eat near that as it is. Today with an extra "meal" of pizza he's eaten 2300 something and he's not hungry or starving himself at all.

Could TDP be wrong on what our 'calorie goals' should be?
MeganBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #2  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

It tells me I can eat over 2000 cals a day to lose 2 lbs....so Im convinced that its not accounting for something it should??? I dont know...I just took a few weeks to find out what worked for me. I stick between 1200-1500 and it works just fine for me and Im losing at a comfy pace. If I eat more than like 1800 I seem to maintain or even gain.

I would just experiment with it and see what works for yall. Im pretty sure since you're breastfeeding you should def be at atleast around 1800 but thats just from what Ive seen others do.

Good luck with your weight loss! =)

Last edited by VernDern; 01-09-2010 at 01:04 AM.
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 AM   #3  
19Deltawifey

I was just looking at TDP again and it said that I needed to eat 2100 cals a day to lose 1 lbs a week. I currently eat 1800-2000 (1950 average cals) a day and lose about a pound. Since he's 350 lbs he probably does need to eat that much to lose weight slowly without feeling deprived or hungry. 2300 for a man that size doesn't sound like enough if you ask me, and if he continued eating that amount for weeks and weeks he might start to feel weak maybe. This is all just my theory but I think he would need closer to 3000 minimum to lose weight at a reasonable pace without a lot of restriction
Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyjordon2002 View Post
I was just looking at TDP again and it said that I needed to eat 2100 cals a day to lose 1 lbs a week. I currently eat 1800-2000 (1950 average cals) a day and lose about a pound. Since he's 350 lbs he probably does need to eat that much to lose weight slowly without feeling deprived or hungry. 2300 for a man that size doesn't sound like enough if you ask me, and if he continued eating that amount for weeks and weeks he might start to feel weak maybe. This is all just my theory but I think he would need closer to 3000 minimum to lose weight at a reasonable pace without a lot of restriction
He hasn't changed his diet at all (except for when he moved in with me 3 years ago lol) He put in what he ate today (a normal day as he's eaten for the last 3 years) and the 2300ish was what he got.

I'll have to try and figure out how to get him enough healthy calories in a day I suppose (I make his lunch and dinner)
Old 01-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #5  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

Wow, I can't imagine a man his size who is physically active needing to "binge" to get 3,500 calories in!

As far as TDP being incorrect, yes, it's not exactly customized for individual circunstances.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #6  

he used to eat A LOT more. His grandma would pack him 2-4 sandwhiches for his lunch plus prepackaged crap like store danishes and other stuff. They also ate pretty bad/fatty/fried/ etc for 3 meals a day, he moved out here with me and well...I don't eat like that so he made changes for the better but the weight just hasn't come off.

I was hoping using something like calorie counting would help (both of us really ) out but he's sitting here trying to figure out how he's supposed to eat THAT much, especially with me cooking relatively low calorie and packing him healthier lunches. He said he's just not as hungry as he used to be I'm so confused
Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #7  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

I've bounced a couple websites to get an idea of where to start with my cals. Someone posted that BL says to eat 7x your weight. Both the daily plate cal guideline and the BL guideline have me eating the same amount of calories. So that's what I've started with and will continue to do.

One thought is that your DH is eating too little cals, has killed his metabolism (not literally of course), and that's why the weight isn't coming off. For some, they have to increase their daily cals in order to lose weight.

If calorie counting is way confusing for his diet, perhaps something like following the Glycemic Index would be better? Not to pre-lable your DH, but based on his weight he'd be at a higher risk of having type II diabetes. I don't know when his last doc's appointment was or when they last tested his sugars, but it's possible for him to have it and not even know. Following a GI diet is typically better for people with diabetes as well as those at risk of developing it.

Of course you can always go to the doc and see what he/she says. They may even be able to get your insurance to pay for a nutrition/dietician referral. It always helps to have a professional on board as adde knowledge.
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote